Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid lays into Wilkins

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Anyone read the back pages of the Argus today?

Paul Reid is an ANGRY man by the sounds of it. Not happy with Wilkins at all.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Trigger - I can see why he is angry, I've been sacked before and it's a natural reaction.

I don't know much about this particular case you mention, but I know a lot about employing people. Is it possible that Paul Reid is a senior pro on a decent salary and that Loft is on a far lower salary?

If so, I would be assessing them in different ways.

1. Reid - expensive and injury prone. Not getting any younger. Release him to free up the salary for a more suitable senior player.

2. Loft - young and with potential. Not expensive but cover should we need it. Releasing him frees up little in the way of resources but makes the squad thinner.

Not really comparable from a "salary pot" point of view.

In many businesses the senior guys eventually get released because, despite their experience, their declining stamina and drive begin to make them vulnerable to being replaced at exactly the time they are costing a business the most.

Yesterday we saw a number of cases of this at the Albion. And they are always high profile and they always seem unfair, but it's how businesses work.

Let's see what Wendy does with the freed up salaries before we judge him. So far (last season) he's done OK with his signings, I'm hopeful of more and better players in the closed season.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Reid scored a couple of good goals but on the whole he isnt good enough.He was pretty anonymous most of the time (when he was fit).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Reid's only about 24 isn't he. Hardly an old crock.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I wonder how much pleasure Andy Naylor took from writing that.

Maybe, as was hinted at, the management could have handled it better. But how do you hint to someone that they're going to be turfed out of the club when the manager hasn't made his mind up? Nightmare scenario for any manager.

I must admit, I'm quite surprised not so much at Reid's disappointment - that's natural and expected - but his offloading of that on to Andy Naylor.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats a hell of a broadside but I am confused.

Surely Wilkins is a superb all round manager and gets on with all his players. Surely this sort of thing only happened with Mark McGhee as thats why I have had rammed down my throat for a year and a half. Harty alluded to a similar dissatisfaction and may well have been more forthright if he did not have his testamonial coming up.

Can someone explain ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think he was not one of the Wilkin's Babes. Wilkin's would have ploved to have had a whole 1st team of his youth boys. Men take more managing and he does appear to have treated a lot of the all pro's pretty shoddily.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Notice the way Wilkins NEVER praises FDM even when he has been OUTSTANDING on lots of occasions this season. Now all of the older pros have been turfed out. What is it with Wilkins and the older members of the squad? Maybe he feels threatened by them because they know better than the younger lot?

And I'm a Wilkins fan btw - I just wanted to air that one thought.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Reid is dissapointed of course he is but surely nobody on here can argue letting him go was not the right decision?

As for his gripe about the timing, when else could the club have done this?!! You would have to be a pretty poor manager to start upsetting the team with non contract renewals in the middle of a play off push!!

Having read it looks like nothing more than a dissapointed player caught at a bad time by a journalist who gets off on even the slightest whiff of an anti-albion story

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He will be 29 at the start of next season and will be on Senior Pro wages. I would guess that he is on a decent salary which can now be used to get a better/more reliable/less injury prone/more suitable player?

It's not complex - it's business. And who the hell doesn't bad mouth their boss when they get fired? Only those with something to lose (eg OGH)

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Fairly mild really. His point about being a utility player and not making one position his own is interesting. I think possibly El Abd suffers from this and might feel more secure if he had one position. Where will he play next season if Elphick and Lynch are here and fit?

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Players make a decent living from what is basically a hobby for the rest of us. One downside is you can become surplus to requirements very suddenly and be out of work. If Reid is as good as he thinks he is he now has a couple of months to find a new club. Good luck to him with that, but get over it pal!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
and they say us Poms whinge!!

bog off back to Australia and give us back that Albion tracksuit

Joking aside it must be a blow and I did think Reid was a cut above when he was on form just hampered by injury. Good luck in the future fella.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Players make a decent living from what is basically a hobby for the rest of us. One downside is you can become surplus to requirements very suddenly and be out of work. If Reid is as good as he thinks he is he now has a couple of months to find a new club. Good luck to him with that, but get over it pal!

No matter how "fun" it must be to play football as a profession. That is exactly what it is to him - a PROFESSION. It's his job, his career. Call it what you like but basically he is now out of work, so maybe a little compassion?? Imagine if you lost your job tomorrow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here