Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid Given 1 Year Contract

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
He is going to compete with Charlie Oatway and David Lee for the chance to play alongside Richard Carpenter in central midfield?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
That to me is Great news, when watching Reid he gave us something we did'nt quite have and all it needed was a goal for him to boost his confidence. Good signing in my book

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Last season glory, and cheap.

Chippy has been poor on the free kick front this season. I canmnot remember one goal he scored.

Jolly. Sorry but I need his real name.

Peircy. Still need time, as does Hammond.

Somedays, what you have got is not brilliant, but reliable. I thought the best we played was with both Reid and Otway together.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dover said:
Last season glory, and cheap.

Chippy has been poor on the free kick front this season. I canmnot remember one goal he scored.

Jolly. Sorry but I need his real name.

Peircy. Still need time, as does Hammond.

Somedays, what you have got is not brilliant, but reliable. I thought the best we played was with both Reid and Otway together.

I think the reality was that Carpenter carried Oatway for most of last season. His limited, but competitive game works in Div 3, but even in Div 2 he was found wanting. Jolly (Rodger) was the one we missed, when he played he gave Carpenter more freedom. If Oatway plays in the whatever fizzy pop championship, our midfield is going to be found out very quickly.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
So why are we bothering to extend Oatways contract?
Because, in the summer with no manager, Knight gave Oatway a contract which guaranteed him a new contract now if he played enough games. He has played too many games so we have to give him another contract. Ridiculous. :angry:

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
reid is a real ball player and with that little bit more time and space in midfield him and chippy could be very good. they both pass the ball very well, and reid can get beyond our strikers in support while chippy sits.....:D

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
MMMMM is this the same reid who got dropped for gary hart a few times dear o dear it gets even worse grrrrrr.

Christ we are goner get whooped so bad next season:lolol: :shootself

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I rate Reid. Pleased to have him on board! :)

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Buzza said:
I rate Reid. Pleased to have him on board! :)
Yeah i can see he has potential and is much better than hart,but tthese players never set the world alight in the 2nd yet we have a much stronger first division than last time to face and our squad is weaker than last time.:smokin:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Albionite83 said:
Because, in the summer with no manager, Knight gave Oatway a contract which guaranteed him a new contract now if he played enough games. He has played too many games so we have to give him another contract. Ridiculous. :angry:

Most of the players are on similar contracts - it's a long running tradition introduced by Micky Adams to incentivise the players.

Play well ... get into the starting line-up ... earn a new contract

Basically it applies to the last year of a two or three year contract. I think you will find that Kerry Mayo has one which will kick in this coming season...

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
after a recent thread about player loyalty, maybe thats why we've given Oatway a contract. Im sure he's pretty cheap and will be a usefull squad player to use on a wet, windy Tuesday game away up north where we just want to keep things tight.

I dont mind too much if a plyer is crap, as long as they give it there all - and no one can accuse Oatway of being lazy. Im glad he's staying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here