Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid Given 1 Year Contract

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
Charlie's the sort of player that fickle fans love to have a go at when the team plays badly, but he's never done less than his best for us. I'd rather we had him with his limitations than someone with ten times the skill who couldn't give a toss.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Does that count as a new signing????

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Uncle Buck said:
So why are we bothering to extend Oatways contract?

Exactly. It's a farce.

:(

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dover said:

Chippy has been poor on the free kick front this season. I canmnot remember one goal he scored.

I remember him scoring a great free kick at Withean, perhaps against Wycombe, cant remember exactly but was from about 30 yaurds and bent it in the top corner.

Chippy is class. Fact.

Oatway is a good squad player. Not sure about the details of the new contract so wont comment too much but he is important to the team. He was imense in the final and is a good presence on the pitch. His distribution can be poor sometimes but his commitment is second to none and he can do a great man marking job which is something I can see McGhee using against some of the better teams this season. I do not think he should command a place in the starting team, but a good squad player to bring on to help tighten things up.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Reid will definitely be a worthy addition, he looks good

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
I met Paul Reid after the Play Off Final - nice bloke and really excited about promotion. Still had his medal round his neck at 9 o/c that evening.
If he's played the centre he'll make a good contribution.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
berkshire seagull said:
MMMMM is this the same reid who got dropped for gary hart a few times dear o dear it gets even worse grrrrrr.

Think about this sensibly please.

Reid is a central midfileder and looks good there but doesn't look good when asked to play wide.

OGH is a wide midfielder - he will never (I hope) be asked to play in the centre.

The choice was between playing a player in his position or a player out of position who had not really proven that he could do that.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Quoted from Richie Morris

"I remember him scoring a great free kick at Withean, perhaps against Wycombe, cant remember exactly but was from about 30 yaurds and bent it in the top corner."

"Chippy is class. Fact."

If Chippy was a class player he would be plying his trade in The Premiership. Harsh, and expecting a slating, but true.

I cannot rember this game with the fantastic free kick, and I cannot recollect any last season or th one before.

Dover said:
Quoted from Richie Morris

"I remember him scoring a great free kick at Withean, perhaps against Wycombe, cant remember exactly but was from about 30 yaurds and bent it in the top corner."

"Chippy is class. Fact."

If Chippy was a class player he would be plying his trade in The Premiership. Harsh, and expecting a slating, but true.

I cannot rember this game with the fantastic free kick, and I cannot recollect any last season or th one before.

Wasn't it against Wrexham ? Blattered in off the underside of the bar on a wet day?

Anyway, I think Chippy is one of our most consistent performers. Depends on your view of 'Class'. If you only consider 'Class' to be Prem standard, well, that's none of our lot, then.
However, it's all relative and I think at the standard, Chippy is 'Class'. He is consistently one of our top performers, not necessarily all the flash stuff, but he rarely gives the ball away (understands what he sees, and mainly makes the right decision) is tough in the tackle and, more importantly, reads the game so he can get those tackles in and maintains his cool when in possession.
He runs for fun and is regularly seen covering for his team mates when necessary.... as a good team mate should !
He's always available to take a pass and can be counted on to set up or switch play whenever the situation demands.

Sorry Richie, I just have a different view..

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thank you coach03. I wasn't at the game.

You are correct however re Chippys play. His reading etc. is remarkable, but I really wish he was dropped from free kicks. Some of us in H Block dread them.

Dover said:
but I really wish he was dropped from free kicks. Some of us in H Block dread them.

I think he was, Leon took over in the final month or so.

Chippy's slight loss of form with the free kicks is all relative though. He did get a great one against Wycombe that started that rout. His free kick also made OGH's goal that started that big defeat of Tranmere.

Chippy's long-range shooting from open play has been outstanding this year, wonder goals against Wrexham, Brentford and Sheff W, not to mention the play-off semi. So I would expect him still to figure in our free-kick calculations.

Leon did alright but doesn't seem to get a lot of power into his kicks, the play-off final one was his best. But the fact he didn't score from all his free-kick chances is a clue that we shouldn't be too hard on Chippy.

No slating Dover, you're fortunate that it only appears to be Richie who gets the OTT kickings, his lack of cynicism slightly unnerves people I think, that's my theory anyway.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Paul Reid will be very relieved to have been offered a contract especially as Bradford are in deep trouble.

Chippy got the goal of the season at Sheff Wed

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A good move by McGhee I think. Reid has a touch of class about him and should be capable of making the step up to the Championship. Let's just hope that we see some new faces soon. I've got a bad feeling in my water about the coming season and how difficult we're going to find it......just hope I'm wrong.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jameson

Reid is a class player in my opinion. I have watched myPlay off final DVD several times through and I can confidently state his successful pass rate was 100%. He didn't put a foot wrong.

In contrast, Iwelumo's rate was nil in the second half!

Charlie's signing is more to do with the positive effect and impact he has on the squad - not just his ability on the field.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
coach03 said:
Wasn't it against Wrexham ? Blattered in off the underside of the bar on a wet day?

Sorry Richie, I just have a different view..

yes it was against Wrexham. Cracking goal. I love Chippy. i think you got a bit confused because I was saying Chippy is brilliant. It was someone who quoted me and then disgreed that said he wasnt class.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Pleased Reid has signed... but we need NEW players, including a creative central midfielder...

Charlie is not really good enough for the 1st team in The Championship... fine as a squad player tho'... and did play well in the final...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here