Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Surely, he wouldn't step into a Prem job (Southampton will surely want someone with more experience as a manager) so, on that basis, why not us? Seems like a win-win to me.

Exactly. We are likely to be his best option in English football for his 1st step into management.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe I am but atleast I look outside the box and not see with rose tinted specs like some on here who blindly follow what they read.

The manager (and that will be the title of our new boss) will have final say in the players who come in/out. Just like Gus, and Oscar. Now, Oscar played less of a role last season for obvious reasons, but I see no reason why the new guy should have any less say in player acquisitions / sales than Gus.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's so sad that there are people on here lining themselves up to say "I told you so" if we get Clement and he fails. I've no idea if all fans forums are like this but it's ridiculous.

Personally, I like the idea that we're not going for the same old managers as other clubs and will support whoever Bloom goes for. Can't believe that all fans don't take that view.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Maybe I am but atleast I look outside the box and not see with rose tinted specs like some on here who blindly follow what they read.

It amuses me so much that if you show any support for the club on here you blindly follow them. You moan about everything and are probably one of the most negative posters on here. I've also rarely seen you make sense with your moans.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's so sad that there are people on here lining themselves up to say "I told you so" if we get Clement and he fails. I've no idea if all fans forums are like this but it's ridiculous.

Personally, I like the idea that we're not going for the same old managers as other clubs and will support whoever Bloom goes for. Can't believe that all fans don't take that view.

Yup, but I have trouble believing anyone could vote UKIP or Tory either. Everyone is different.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The manager (and that will be the title of our new boss) will have final say in the players who come in/out. Just like Gus, and Oscar. Now, Oscar played less of a role last season for obvious reasons, but I see no reason why the new guy should have any less say in player acquisitions / sales than Gus.

The apparent issue with Gus and Oscar was not their role in player acquisitions, but the budget. As long as it is clear to whoever gets the job that we are not going to sign anyone that we cannot afford, then all should be fine.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The apparent issue with Gus and Oscar was not their role in player acquisitions, but the budget. As long as it is clear to whoever gets the job that we are not going to sign anyone that we cannot afford, then all should be fine.

Agreed. We apparently have the 8th highest budget in the Championship, but it is possible to get promoted without having one of the highest budgets - see Burnley. As long as Tony isn't telling potential managers that they have a blank cheque book (he won't be), and the new guy is realistic, then there should be no problems at all. Both Gus (especially) and Oscar were backed in the transfer market. Gus' (especially) unrealistic demands were a problem, as were his public whines re budget. Hopefully, the new gaffer will be made fully aware about what is and isn't possible in terms of player acquisitions. Who knows, he may even stay more than 1 season, and not grumble incessantly about lack of budget!? Here's hoping.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
It amuses me so much that if you show any support for the club on here you blindly follow them. You moan about everything and are probably one of the most negative posters on here. I've also rarely seen you make sense with your moans.

I pay my season ticket with my hard earned cash. Therefore I am entitled to moan about the team and how I feel It's being run.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012

absolutely. i don't know why so many people on here think our manager/head coach have no say. i don't care what title they have it means nothing other than he's the guy running the team and lots that goes with it. no one at club has ever to my knowledge said that the manager/head coach has no say in player movements.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Massive move for Clement in from 8/1 to 100/30 fav...

...for West Brom :down:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I do wonder when people here these rumours whether it's crossed wires with WBA like when people genuinely thought Lukaku was coming here. People hear Albion and assume Brighton.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Problem is their retained list might look more appealing to him and its more in keeping with the quality he has worked with.

From there its whether he feels the prem is a step too much

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Problem is their retained list might look more appealing to him and its more in keeping with the quality he has worked with.

From there its whether he feels the prem is a step too much

If offered a premier job he will take it, why wouldn't he?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
We can afford to take a chance on a guy with no managerial experience.
They do that, it doesn't work and they go down.

They did with Steve Clarke and look how that turned out - which hopefully is why he might turn them down

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
His brother played over 250 games for West Brom. I'd imagine he knows (at least indirectly) a fair few people at The Hawthorns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Baggies are filling their boots.

Now 9/4 from 100/30 half an hour ago.

PC is 6/4 from 5/4 for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here