Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Has it also not been implied in the media and within the Amex that Tony and the board have not been as hands on as they should be and the main reason why we did not sign Grabban ?

Just asking not arguing young man.

Indeed, pure civilised discussion and sharing thoughts in its best possible form :thumbsup:

It has been implied that TB and the board have not been as hands on as what they could have been, and the intentoin is to correct this next season. Though the apparent reason for not getting Grabban was that we wouldn't stretch to his wage demands. It could have been one of the mentioned reasons or a combination of both, and if it were both it would imply a lack of communication on the clubs part.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Indeed, pure civilised discussion and sharing thoughts in its best possible form :thumbsup:

It has been implied that TB and the board have not been as hands on as what they could have been, and the intentoin is to correct this next season. Though the apparent reason for not getting Grabban was that we wouldn't stretch to his wage demands. It could have been one of the mentioned reasons or a combination of both, and if it were both it would imply a lack of communication on the clubs part.

I was under the impression that the main reason Grabban did not sign was that he could not have a meeting with Tony and everything was agreed without the final big yes go ahead from Tony, Grabban went back to Bournmouth and they sat him down and matched our wages and a little more. A missed opportunity as we could have nailed it there and then, but could not due to various reasons including the time difference between us and Australia. Shocking if true however it could be B.S super king style.

have a good afternoon, whats left of it anyway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was under the impression that the main reason Grabban did not sign was that he could not have a meeting with Tony and everything was agreed without the final big yes go ahead from Tony, Grabban went back to Bournmouth and they sat him down and matched our wages and a little more. A missed opportunity as we could have nailed it there and then, but could not due to various reasons including the time difference between us and Australia. Shocking if true however it could be B.S super king style.

have a good afternoon, whats left of it anyway.

TB gave his version of what happened in a video interview and only pointed to Grabbans wage demands, though the after watching it I came away thinking he only skimmed the surface of what really went on this season and it was a massive pinch of salt time for me.

Enjoy your afternoon/evening too

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure the perceived lack of moral support was the reason for relegation. Norwich spent big in relative terms over the summer on strikers and yet they were unable to score the goals needed to survive and that in part is due to the way he sets out his teams. But you are right he did not and does not moan and is steady and maybe this is appealing to some.

Steady is what I want for a few seasons whilst we settle into the academy. Premiership ambitions need to be on a realistic timescale for the club and the new manager.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just noticed he has been clipped in the betting...Nothing like appointing another gamble, that no ones heard of and with no championship experience. I know im going to get slated for this but whats new.If we gamble again while forking out what the fans do each month.I for one will not be forking out much longer..Getting a bit pissed off with paying top dollar for unproven risks....Club should be careful, get this one wrong and it could prove very damaging long term.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just noticed he has been clipped in the betting...Nothing like appointing another gamble, that no ones heard of and with no championship experience. I know im going to get slated for this but whats new.If we gamble again while forking out what the fans do each month.I for one will not be forking out much longer..Getting a bit pissed off with paying top dollar for unproven risks....Club should be careful, get this one wrong and it could prove very damaging long term.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

We have done well under 2 unproven managers in this league, when will people realise that we are over achieving and not under achieving. There are at least 10 clubs in this league that have more money then we do, people need to get past 26,000 plus gates and equating that to mean we have a lot of money. We are sticking to FFP and some clubs are not, they are pumping a lot of money into their clubs to compete at the top end of this league, and a lot of clubs have parachute payments.
Without a manager the club have already gone out and got a player that will strengthen the midfield, try being positive, Tony is a fan and he knows what is best for this club and he will get the right manager in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have done well under 2 unproven managers in this league, when will people realise that we are over achieving and not under achieving. There are at least 10 clubs in this league that have more money then we do, people need to get past 26,000 plus gates and equating that to mean we have a lot of money. We are sticking to FFP and some clubs are not, they are pumping a lot of money into their clubs to compete at the top end of this league, and a lot of clubs have parachute payments.

We have done well, yes, but ultimately just fallen short.

Just this once can we please appoint a manager with a little more experience of being the number 1 at a club.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
We have done well, yes, but ultimately just fallen short.

Just this once can we please appoint a manager with a little more experience of being the number 1 at a club.

That is easier said then done, people want a manager with experience of being a number 1, well most of the managers that are available are available for a reason, they have been sacked in most cases,for poor results. Tim Sherwood the exception, however he also does not have much experience and his ego could be a problem. So I can see why Tony thinks outside the box and is looking for a manager to grow with the club.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Without a manager the club have already gone out and got a player that will strengthen the midfield, try being positive, Tony is a fan and he knows what is best for this club and he will get the right manager in.

Over achieving???.....Tell me what are your expectations for a club with the highest av attendance in the league and a training academy second to none should be..Not to mention the customer paying top whack.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Over achieving???.....Tell me what are your expectations for a club with the highest av attendance in the league and a training academy second to none should be..Not to mention the customer paying top whack.
and a £140m debt.
Posting loses of £14.5m.
Expected loses of £8m.
None of which is sustainable.
Training on university pitches.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Over achieving is what we done at Withdean with burger vans, portaloos and a running track with 6, 000 sitting in the rain...and will still attracted more proven managers than what we get now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Over achieving is what we done at Withdean with burger vans, portaloos and a running track with 6, 000 sitting in the rain...and will still attracted more proven managers than what we get now.

You're obviously in the loop so tell us who's applied this time.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You are ignoring the fact that the last two managers have actually proved successful by settling the club at it's highest league position in decades. This suggests that Tony does indeed know what he is doing when appointing managers, if the new one can replicate the success of the previous two I'll be extremely happy.

As for the finance angle, you clearly haven't been paying attention to the last few sets of accounts. We are now currently in the MIDDLE of trying to get the financial side of the club in order so that we can benefit from our increased fanbase and matchday revenue rather than losing it all through over inflated costs. This sort of adjustment doesn't happen overnight, especially in an organisation that has quadrupled in size in the last four years.

As for the state-of-the-art academy and training ground, seeing as it is not open yet we can hardly benefit from that right now. The true rewards from the Lancing development will again take a number of years to pay off fully so patience once again is required.

I have every confidence that Tony Bloom knows what he is doing and am willing to back his judgement yet again whether it is an experienced name, or an interesting prospect.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

I'd love to know you think wouldn't be a gamble. By gamble I presume you mean a manager who gets his teams promoted on his first season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I don't understand why people go on about highest average attendance. All that means is we are notionally top of the list of teams who don't have parachute payments. Last year, we had a successful season, especially with the injuries we had. It seems pretty obvious to most people.

As for Paul Clement, I would far rather have someone like him than an "experienced Championship manager" who has been there, done it and generally failed. Would you seriously rather have, for example, Chris Hughton, who spent £7 million on a 1 goal striker at Norwich, invested loads in the team, played boring football and got relegated?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

its a fair point

however I imagine we have attracted plenty of proven managers but TB wanted to go with the unproven Spaniard - one with a low floor but a high ceiling. Interesting to see what he does this time around.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

The attendance has nothing to do with anything, yes it makes up a lot of the clubs income. The fact of the matter is Tony has decided to keep within FFP rules, other clubs have made a decision not to and others have parachute payments. The 3 clubs coming down this coming season already have pocketed 60 odd million in TV rights. If you had a table with the richest clubs in this league, we would come out mid-table, so you can go on whining about the club under achieving, when at the end of the day we do well to compete in the top half of the table. That's the reality and that will be the reality next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here