Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - first impressions

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Provided we don't hike up match day /season ticket prices to an unrealistic level like some of the Premier clubs have then I would be happy with whatever he does. If it means national products to give us more revenue I will accept that I don't go to the Amex to have a pint or a pie they are an extra bonus my prime reason for going to a football match is to watch my team at the highest possible level and being as competitive as possible and if going with national products achieves this all power to his elbow..

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Ridiculous assumption. Spurs friendly last year was the same price. I think any unpopular decision would be on a much bigger scale than a price scale for a friendly

I was referring more to the moving of seats rather than price, and was sadi very much tongue in cheek. Completely agree, if a point os being made about preparing to be a bad guy will be BAD. Much like a doctor or dentist saying "this wont hurt a bit".

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
One of the things that helps the club function the way it does is the whole 'sticking around afterwards for a pie and a pint' thing. It helps the flow of people on to the trains, and makes the transport thing work pretty well.

Going the Pukka Pies / Carlsberg Tetley route will almost certainly have the dual effect of people not buying something that isn't generally wanted, meaning more people will leave early - bollocksing up the trains. There may be a short-term incentive to get some sort of 'beer deal' in, but if it has the long-term effect of alienating the fans and affecting sales, who will come out the winner?

It's one area that works brilliantly at present - why rock it? It wouldn't make sense.

Paul Barber was staggered by the beer sales when it was mentioned - at which point Martin Perry interjected and pointed out that '140,000 pints were Harvey's'. That, to me, was very telling. He then rolled his eyes and with a smirk muttered something like 'but then, one or two of us didn't think that idea would work...' They all acknowledge it's something there now exceptionally proud of.

Very good points. I get there early and stay late because I can enjoy a good beer and a fantastic pie. Otherwise I'd be arriving just before KO and leaving on the whistle, thus spending less.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
there may be occasions where he has to be seen as the bad guy by doing something unpopular. What he said he has no intention of doing is bumping up prices in order to take the piss out of loyal fans.

£30 for a Chelsea friendly. Mmmmmm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
he is always prepared to listen

Now, if there was one thing I could have predicted about this meeting it is that he would have said his door is always open.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very good points. I get there early and stay late because I can enjoy a good beer and a fantastic pie. Otherwise I'd be arriving just before KO and leaving on the whistle, thus spending less.

On the assumption that you buy 3 pints before and 3 pints after the game + a couple of pies that is about £25, which is good support to the club if you multiplied that by a crowd of 20k but unfortunately the club get only a small portion of that the vast majority is taken up with cost of the product and going to Azure so the club get very little. I am not knocking you for this but trying to point out that if they bought a national product that was heavily reduced in price but the cub got a fee from the producers they would be financially better off possibly. not Azure but the club most definitely.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
£30 for a Chelsea friendly. Mmmmmm.

Really!!? You are joking? The price of friendlies and cup games against higher level opponents has always been more expensive. But continue to look for a with hun where there isn't one. Or blame probably the real culprit Bloom / the Board / Derek Chapman.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really!!? You are joking? The price of friendlies and cup games against higher level opponents has always been more expensive. But continue to look for a with hun where there isn't one. Or blame probably the real culprit Bloom / the Board / Derek Chapman.

No I'm not joking. Personally I think £30 is a bit steep for a friendly. £30 for a competitive fixture seems about right though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
It's the quality of the Local Pies and the Local Pints that makes me feel I'm immersing myself in Brighton and Sussex everytime I go to a match.
If, Carling/carlsberg, John Smith etc ever replace our Sussex brands then there is no way I'll get there early or stick around late. I'd rather hand my cash over to a pub in Brighton and drink Harvey's or Dark Star. Martin Perry, Dick Knight and I hope Tony Bloom know this, the question is, does Paul Barber? He might know it, but does he 'get it'?

Dave "Old Speckled" Brookes, his equivalent at Sussex CCC, did a deal with Greene King which makes it difficult to get a pint of Harveys at the county ground. Old Speckled thinks he's done very well and in a way he has as I and quite a few others spend far less money at the cricket now.

Feb 14, 2010
If he is any good then he will know that to build a brand then it helps to improve the product. As such if people want Sussex ale and food then to introduce John Smiths would be an obvious backward step for the Albion brand. If there is an issue with margins then it would make sense to have the hard but friendly word with the owners of Harveys and explain they may have to help bridge the margin gap.

Feb 14, 2010
With a limited capacity, and a strong opposition, you can appreciate the club's thinking.

For this match £30 is steep. For a 27,500-capacity friendly, £30 would have been an outrage.

All I would say is that I think that this price has done Michel Kuipers a bit of a favour.

If he can fill the ground at £30 a person then why would anyone in their right mind charge less?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think Barber has a tricky job. We can be quite a 'difficult' fan base to deal with. Many perhaps still want the level of engagement that we have become used to on the back of the dark days - fan power at this club has played a part uncommon in many clubs. I get the feeling that many believe that they saved the club - and rightly so. It was unquestionably fan power that highlighted the issues and ensured that they did not slip off the radar at any time.

Absolutely spot on and it would seem that only people who are moaning/wary are those that were in the inner circle of Dick Knight bummers who are still crying because Bloom has turned us into a proper football club and not some village outfit.

People should just let Bloom and co get on with it, they've done a sterling job so far long may it continue.

As for the stingo it's all crap to be honest but it's a football ground at the of the day. I think some of you expect it to be listed in the good beer guide or have a michelin star.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here