Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - first impressions

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd like us to sell the big bottles of Peroni, the 660ml ones, ice cold.

The only problem is a) they'd cost about £9 and b) imagine trying to get that agreed, allowing 2kg glass coshes to be sold in a football ground.

Apart from that I cant see an issue. Get them in, Barber.

I believe Adur is twinned with Zywiec in Poland which is also a very decent beer. Should get some of that in reverence to the local link.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I can see some sort of an issue arising here if one of the big companies wants to get involved and pay an inflated sum for the pouring rights. The first season figures would make any big business want a pier of the action. The judgement to be made by the club is whether they think people would still turn up early and indeed stay late. Personally speaking I would be spending less time and considerably less money at the Amex if the real ale was taken away.
THIS
Even if they replaced the Harvey's and Dark Star with larger brands of Ale. I wouldn't stick around after too long. It's the quality of the Local Pies and the Local Pints that makes me feel I'm immersing myself in Brighton and Sussex everytime I go to a match.
If, Carling/carlsberg, John Smith etc ever replace our Sussex brands then there is no way I'll get there early or stick around late. I'd rather hand my cash over to a pub in Brighton and drink Harvey's or Dark Star. Martin Perry, Dick Knight and I hope Tony Bloom know this, the question is, does Paul Barber? He might know it, but does he 'get it'?
Same goes for Shirt Sponsorship. I like that it's a local firm, I like that the shirt says Brighton and Hove on it, I would accept American Express as a sponsor but there's no way I'm buying a Brighton shirt with 188BET written on it.

This club is different, we have pride and care about our club because we are all part of it. Most of us helped to save it, the reason it is a success is that MP, DK, TB listened to what we wanted and we responded by buying tickets and spending vast amounts of cash. If Barber rocks the boat on any of these fronts, our fan power will rise against it. He must integrate with us fans and the club ethos first, then take it further without messing about with the formula that works, and one we all love.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Blimey you must have a better memory than me, I have no recollection of saying that. Doesn't mean I didn't though. The Amex DOES smell different to other grounds though, and in my opinion, it smells much nicer.

Kronenbourg isn't my favourite either, but I think as long as they sell one weak and one premium lager and one real ale, it really doesn't matter which ones they sell. It might mean they sell a couple of hundred pints less every two weeks, but that is pennies in the grand scheme of things. If getting an 'official' beer brought us in a load more cash, then I cant see how anyone could argue that it wasn't the right thing to do.

We could give all that cash to Vicente.

No way, it's Sussex local stuff or I ain't buying it. Simple.
Looks like Vicente is getting paid enough to stay without switching over to Tetleys. Also any grounds with official beer, only sell the official beer and nothing else!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
THIS
Even if they replaced the Harvey's and Dark Star with larger brands of Ale. I wouldn't stick around after too long. It's the quality of the Local Pies and the Local Pints that makes me feel I'm immersing myself in Brighton and Sussex everytime I go to a match.
If, Carling/carlsberg, John Smith etc ever replace our Sussex brands then there is no way I'll get there early or stick around late. I'd rather hand my cash over to a pub in Brighton and drink Harvey's or Dark Star. Martin Perry, Dick Knight and I hope Tony Bloom know this, the question is, does Paul Barber? He might know it, but does he 'get it'?
Same goes for Shirt Sponsorship. I like that it's a local firm, I like that the shirt says Brighton and Hove on it, I would accept American Express as a sponsor but there's no way I'm buying a Brighton shirt with 188BET written on it.

This club is different, we have pride and care about our club because we are all part of it. Most of us helped to save it, the reason it is a success is that MP, DK, TB listened to what we wanted and we responded by buying tickets and spending vast amounts of cash. If Barber rocks the boat on any of these fronts, our fan power will rise against it. He must integrate with us fans and the club ethos first, then take it further without messing about with the formula that works, and one we all love.

I think the local shirt sponsor will go, unfortunately. Not that a shirt sponsor bothers me, as I don't buy Brighton shirts, but with our profile rising, local companies will get priced out of being able to afford it.

Beer/food is a tricky one, but I cannot imagine the CEO will be getting free reign anyway, a lot of these decisions will need board backing, so if we do see change, I hope its not just Paul Barber getting the backlash.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I believe Adur is twinned with Zywiec in Poland which is also a very decent beer. Should get some of that in reverence to the local link.

This. I've been to the brewery, lovely place too.

Also, if we moved from Piglets Pantry pies to Pukka Pies then I wouldn't eat pies on Saturday games, I'd have some lunch before I left for the train rather than just having a late breakfast then having a pie pre-match like I did last season.

I think the local shirt sponsor will go, unfortunately. Not that a shirt sponsor bothers me, as I don't buy Brighton shirts, but with our profile rising, local companies will get priced out of being able to afford it.

Definately this, if we are succesfull then local firms will be priced out...I buy shirts and I don't give two hoots who is the sponsor.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
No way, it's Sussex local stuff or I ain't buying it. Simple.
Looks like Vicente is getting paid enough to stay without switching over to Tetleys. Also any grounds with official beer, only sell the official beer and nothing else!

Why wouldn't u eat or drink anything other then Sussex local? if the club made more money from bigger brands that's better, no?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
so mr paul barker,wants to build up a good relationship with the fans eh,
we will see,
but i wonder how he would of dealt with banned fans at the amex,(with no evidence),would he of swept it under the carpet like brown.
Lets hope he deals with situations better than that clown.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
THIS

What a load of sanctimonious bollocks.

We've moved on.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
No we've moved on to what we have at the Amex now and the set up we have now. Moving to big brands and official beer, betting site sponsors are a step back from what we have. We have a model other clubs should copy, not the other way around.

A resounding THIS. I'm all for adding new and better products, but not for a backwards step with customer experience sacrificed for money's sake.
The pies and catering are award-winning, why change it? Azure having more staff on match-days would be fantastic though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd prefer another ale to Harvey's to be honest but, in general, quality and geography do play a part in my purchases if there's a decision to be made. If it was just crap always on sale I wouldn't hang around at the ground though. I don't see sense in regularly spending money on something I don't want.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No we've moved on to what we have at the Amex now and the set up we have now. Moving to big brands and official beer, betting site sponsors are a step back from what we have. We have a model other clubs should copy, not the other way around.

Definitely this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here