Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passengers on the pitch.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
People want to know why Forest were so much better than us today? They weren't carrying what we were. Barnes, Navarro and Paynter.

Barnes is being played completely out of position, he isn't getting in the game and he isn't the player Gus wants him to be. He seems to be having a go at the Bennett role of last season, narrow on the right and floating in behind the strikers. Seriously? We're sure, Barnes?! Crazy, he needs to be back up front instead of Paynter and then we can fairly judge him. He was a complete passenger today but that's because of the role he is being given.

Navarro is getting in Bridcutt's way. He adds nothing defensively, players ran off him so often it was embarrasing and when he did get on the ball, his distribution was dreadful and often miscontrolled the ball. He added nothing going forward either, and had no part to play in the game at all. I don't blame anyone but himself, he's not getting involved in anything and was a complete passenger who should have been taken off long before he was.

Paynter is what I was expecting, a useless lump with no technical ability and a complete lack of nous in how to use his obvious bulk to knock the ball down for others to get into the game from. CMS was being wasted played alone, and it's even worse now he has such an inept partner. I didn't expect anything from Paynter, having seen a fair amount of him before we'd signed him, but even I wasn't expecting what little he did today.

We're too deep, we're too slow and we're too defensive. All these things are dictated by the manager, so we can't blame the players. And frankly, I don't blame Poyet either. For a start, we've kept another clean sheet and that's imperative considering the goals we were leaking before. But it is so frustrating watching teams like Nottingham Forest, who are clearly not as bad as the league suggests by the way, come to the Amex and completely dominate the game. We won in the end with a lucky late winner, but it's disappointing to watch that.

Good post. I was frustrated by the team's performance too and despite what others may say in reply to your OP, I didn't see much from Navarro either. All this crap about "breaking up the play". When? He doesn't tackle and when he does, gets a yellow and gives away a free kick in a dangerous area.

I have nothing against the guy but he isn't going to take us forward and is probably better suited to League 1, IMO.

Paynter is not giving us anything either. Taxi!

Anyway, just my opinion but all you keyboard managers and stato's feel free to disagree!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good post. I was frustrated by the team's performance too and despite what others may say in reply to your OP, I didn't see much from Navarro either. All this crap about "breaking up the play". When? He doesn't tackle and when he does, gets a yellow and gives away a free kick in a dangerous area.

I have nothing against the guy but he isn't going to take us forward and is probably better suited to League 1, IMO.

Paynter is not giving us anything either. Taxi!

Anyway, just my opinion but all you keyboard managers and stato's feel free to disagree!

I like this post. :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just an observation but I think people need to differentiate between a lucky goal and a lucky win.

Of course I wasn't there but from all I have heard and read the goal was far from lucky - it was both well crafted and well taken.

The win, on the other hand, was very lucky indeed.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
If we are going to play Tanno at LB then I would rather us play Vincelot in the middle with Bridcutt rather than Navarro as he is good at defending when need be and can score goals. Drop Navarro and Paynter next game, offer nothing.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
People want to know why Forest were so much better than us today? They weren't carrying what we were. Barnes, Navarro and Paynter.

Barnes is being played completely out of position, he isn't getting in the game and he isn't the player Gus wants him to be. He seems to be having a go at the Bennett role of last season, narrow on the right and floating in behind the strikers. Seriously? We're sure, Barnes?! Crazy, he needs to be back up front instead of Paynter and then we can fairly judge him. He was a complete passenger today but that's because of the role he is being given.

Navarro is getting in Bridcutt's way. He adds nothing defensively, players ran off him so often it was embarrasing and when he did get on the ball, his distribution was dreadful and often miscontrolled the ball. He added nothing going forward either, and had no part to play in the game at all. I don't blame anyone but himself, he's not getting involved in anything and was a complete passenger who should have been taken off long before he was.

Paynter is what I was expecting, a useless lump with no technical ability and a complete lack of nous in how to use his obvious bulk to knock the ball down for others to get into the game from. CMS was being wasted played alone, and it's even worse now he has such an inept partner. I didn't expect anything from Paynter, having seen a fair amount of him before we'd signed him, but even I wasn't expecting what little he did today.

We're too deep, we're too slow and we're too defensive. All these things are dictated by the manager, so we can't blame the players. And frankly, I don't blame Poyet either. For a start, we've kept another clean sheet and that's imperative considering the goals we were leaking before. But it is so frustrating watching teams like Nottingham Forest, who are clearly not as bad as the league suggests by the way, come to the Amex and completely dominate the game. We won in the end with a lucky late winner, but it's disappointing to watch that.

Navarro is well out of his depth in this division so is the sweaty sock gg, bring on El Abd and give him the captains arm band .Our defence today was shit.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
If we are going to play Tanno at LB then I would rather us play Vincelot in the middle with Bridcutt rather than Navarro as he is good at defending when need be and can score goals. Drop Navarro and Paynter next game, offer nothing.

Definitely this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Taking each of the 3 players mentioned by the OP I agree on 2 and disagree a lot on one.

Disagree - Navarro. It's hardly his fault that he gets selected in a 3(?) man midfield alongside Bridcutt bit I see the reason for this as Gus wanting more discipline in defence and Navs brings that in spades. He reads the game well, does the simple things and to me looks like he does exactly as instructed by Gus and Charley. He wasn't at his best today but our results have been better with him in the team and I don't think that's a fluke.

Agree - Barnes is being played out of position. In fact the game we were playing today neither suited him or CMS.

Agree - Paynter. He's dogshit and I'd happily pay his train fare back to Leeds myself. At one point today he DUCKED a header and he's supposed to be the big lad holding it up and winning flicks.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I have to agree with the OP.

The fact Barnes is playing out of position (Badly) is not doing his confidence any good & it gives the get Barnes out brigade even more ammo to throw at him.
20 goals last season(I know it was league 1) Stick him up front with CMS. After all I do believe it was him & not paynter who was playing there at the begining of the season & we didnt seem to do to badly then.
Just my Opinion though. I dont even pretend to be a coach. However as a fan I am allowed my own opinion.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Navarro is well out of his depth in this division so is the sweaty sock gg, bring on El Abd and give him the captains arm band .Our defence today was shit.

Sorry but I cannot agree with this GG was good today. (not great but good). However I do think Dunky looked very shaky today compared to previous games.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
I have to agree with the OP.

The fact Barnes is playing out of position (Badly) is not doing his confidence any good & it gives the get Barnes out brigade even more ammo to throw at him.
20 goals last season(I know it was league 1) Stick him up front with CMS. After all I do believe it was him & not paynter who was playing there at the begining of the season & we didnt seem to do to badly then.
Just my Opinion though. I dont even pretend to be a coach. However as a fan I am allowed my own opinion.

Barnes has promise and you are correct, 20 goals last season wasn't a fluke. He needs to be up front, not in the midfield. Just a "fans-eye-view".

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry but I cannot agree with this GG was good today. (not great but good). However I do think Dunky looked very shaky today compared to previous games.

I think Greer is the unquestionable first choice centre back, and I think that Dunk has progressed brilliantly this season, but he's still very young and a rest from the team would do him a bit of good I think. He's in no rush, the experience he has gained will be invaluable, but we don't have to play him every game. It's time for Adam El-Abd to be back in the side now I think, I know our defence has been very good in the last few games and you're always reluctant to change the winning team, but I would.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Taking each of the 3 players mentioned by the OP I agree on 2 and disagree a lot on one.

Disagree - Navarro. It's hardly his fault that he gets selected in a 3(?) man midfield alongside Bridcutt bit I see the reason for this as Gus wanting more discipline in defence and Navs brings that in spades. He reads the game well, does the simple things and to me looks like he does exactly as instructed by Gus and Charley. He wasn't at his best today but our results have been better with him in the team and I don't think that's a fluke.

Agree - Barnes is being played out of position. In fact the game we were playing today neither suited him or CMS.

Agree - Paynter. He's dogshit and I'd happily pay his train fare back to Leeds myself. At one point today he DUCKED a header and he's supposed to be the big lad holding it up and winning flicks.

Sorry i have to disagree the moment navs gets the ball he gives it away, he does not seem to want to contribute to the game in any way

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry i have to disagree the moment navs gets the ball he gives it away, he does not seem to want to contribute to the game in any way

Don't apologise, as fans it's all about opinion. It wasn't Navs best game today but in general I think he plays because Gus and Charley trust him not to go missing and it's an 11 player a side game. Unless you've got Billy Paynter playing in which case it's more like 11 v 10 and a quarter.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I think Greer is the unquestionable first choice centre back, and I think that Dunk has progressed brilliantly this season, but he's still very young and a rest from the team would do him a bit of good I think. He's in no rush, the experience he has gained will be invaluable, but we don't have to play him every game. It's time for Adam El-Abd to be back in the side now I think, I know our defence has been very good in the last few games and you're always reluctant to change the winning team, but I would.

Yep, a change would be good but as you say it was another clean sheet so Gus might be reluctant to change.
That said, it was only a clean sheet through poor finishing not good defending, so maybe after he has seen the DVD he just might ????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here