Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passengers on the pitch.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bridcutt gave the ball away a fair bit and didn't make himself available for passes, where's I thought Navarro held up play quite well and played a few good balls eg to Noone in the first half. Not going to argue with you though, opinions game and all...

Opinions game certainly. Where abouts were you sat?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The problem with Navarro (and again its not his fault) is that esentially he is a defensive midfielder and Bridcutt has his position and is better than him. Today we played two defensive holding midfielders at home which some would argue is two too many. In any case its at least one two many and when you add in the non midfielder Barnes - its no wonder we only had one shot at goal.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Blimey, you're up and down and all over this thread like you're on speed.

We've just won rather luckily, enjoy it, take a chill pill and stop being so defensively anal

You haven't really contributed anything to this discussion. If you've got something about the match to say, say it. I do have something to say about, hence this thread.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You haven't really contributed anything to this discussion. If you've got something about the match to say, say it. I do have something to say about, hence this thread.

Now you're just making yourself look silly

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reasons to be Cheerful Part 1.................................

OK, we might have nicked a lucky win today, but in one respect at least we are improving, and learning what is necessary in this division. In our first ten matches we conceded 14 goals - 1.4 per match. In the second ten matches we have conceded 7 - exactly half the number of goals per game (and those last ten games include the 3-0 tonking at Southampton).

Could it just be that Gus (and the players) know what they are doing and are getting it right? It might not be as pretty as waltzing past Cardiff 3-1, but credit where it's due. Unlike our previous forays into this division, we're now a proper Championship side and I for one am bloody happy about it! (PS I realise that this might be a monority view on here, but MY glass is half full; this is as good as it's been since the days of Barry Lloyd in the early '90's and the road to Wembley).

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Playing 2 defensive midfielders does offer you a better chance not to lose the game and the ship does need to be steadied before you can look to be more adventurous. The last thing you need is to go on a losing run again so quickly and slide down the table as confidence drops. Now we have banked a few points we can start to be a little less conservative

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Reasons to be Cheerful Part 1.................................

OK, we might have nicked a lucky win today, but in one respect at least we are improving, and learning what is necessary in this division. In our first ten matches we conceded 14 goals - 1.4 per match. In the second ten matches we have conceded 7 - exactly half the number of goals per game (and those last ten games include the 3-0 tonking at Southampton).

Could it just be that Gus (and the players) know what they are doing and are getting it right? It might not be as pretty as waltzing past Cardiff 3-1, but credit where it's due. Unlike our previous forays into this division, we're now a proper Championship side and I for one am bloody happy about it! (PS I realise that this might be a monority view on here, but MY glass is half full; this is as good as it's been since the days of Barry Lloyd in the early '90's and the road to Wembley).

I don't think you'll find too many who aren't happy overall. Our start has been fantastic, this is the best Brighton team I have ever known and it's like a completely different club to the one I first started supporting in 1997. It's a brilliant result today, but we're only a few hours after the full time whistle. If you aren't going to think about the game, and talk about it when you come on here, then what's the point in going?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Irrelevant of the result the team selection didn't inspire and unsurprisingly they didn't change that view.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a brilliant result today, but we're only a few hours after the full time whistle. If you aren't going to think about the game, and talk about it when you come on here, then what's the point in going?

Yes - and most of this thread seems to be moaning about what was wrong with it, so I put in my five penn'orth. Sorry if (in your opinion) I've gone off-topic..........................

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes - and most of this thread seems to be moaning about what was wrong with it, so I put in my five penn'orth. Sorry if (in your opinion) I've gone off-topic..........................

The result and the performance are two very different things sometimes though. Today was one of those days where the result is all that mattered, because the performance wasn't brilliant. Besides, in a team of 11, to start a thread talking predmoninently about 3 of them, it's not exactly the most critical of threads.

It's a difficult game to talk about in a way, we weren't at all any good, but we won it anyway. Strange feeling, but I like it!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We won and since Navarro has been in we have done well ...

With navarro
played 11
won 7 (63.6%)
lost 3 (27.3%)
drawn 1 (9.1%)
points 22

Without navarro
played 9
won 2 (22.22%)
lost 3 (33.33%)
drawn 4 (44.44%)
points 10

(I think I've got the errors out, that should just be the league)

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
4 wins from the last 5 games, I'm just glad Gus is the manager and not some of the jokers on here.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The result and the performance are two very different things sometimes though. Today was one of those days where the result is all that mattered, because the performance wasn't brilliant.

True, but today's performance has contributed to us going more than four hours without conceding. How much of a priority was that to Gus and the team?

Agree about some of the selection concerns though - if our style doesn't suit what CMS does best, then surely Paynter is even more out of place? They could be a good pairing if you're going to hoof the ball up for them (which patently we're not!)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Results have definitely bettered, and goals conceded reduced, since Navarro's returned.
I've never knocked him before, but I thought Navarro played very poorly today, and I didn't realise until today how slow he is.

I can't see Gus renewing the Billy Paynter loan in January. His general play is worse than I hoped.

In January, I hope Gus adds quality with pace to that centre midfield.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The problem with Navarro (and again its not his fault) is that esentially he is a defensive midfielder and Bridcutt has his position and is better than him. Today we played two defensive holding midfielders at home which some would argue is two too many. In any case its at least one two many and when you add in the non midfielder Barnes - its no wonder we only had one shot at goal.

I've no problem with 2 great tackling centre midfielders. The previous midfield of Dicker-Sparrow/Harley-Bridcutt, was outclassed/outfought/outpaced by the likes of CP.

We just need to fix the remaining 5 outfield personnel & tactics, to get our creativity going again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You can't argue with Acker's stats. I just found today's performance frustrating. I hope we can soon get back to the quality and flair style of play we showed against Blackpool, the way we were playing when we went 2-0 up was just sublime. I know that is an ironic game to pick, considering we ended up drawing it 2-2, but for me, it is the best I have seen any Brighton team play against good quality opposition.

Next week we play Middlesbrough, and that's a game where I think we should be set up with Bridcutt and Navarro together, that will be a very tough game. Today we were playing against a struggling Nottingham Forest, at home. I just think we were more negative in our formation and tactics than we needed to be. Leeds went to the City Ground on tuesday with no intentions of just sitting off them and letting them have the ball, but not let them through. They went there with aggresive and attacking tactics, and won 4-0. As someone else said though, it's all a game of opinions. And I wouldn't want Simon Grayson anywhere near the club as manager!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here