Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passengers on the pitch.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
People want to know why Forest were so much better than us today? They weren't carrying what we were. Barnes, Navarro and Paynter.

Barnes is being played completely out of position, he isn't getting in the game and he isn't the player Gus wants him to be. He seems to be having a go at the Bennett role of last season, narrow on the right and floating in behind the strikers. Seriously? We're sure, Barnes?! Crazy, he needs to be back up front instead of Paynter and then we can fairly judge him. He was a complete passenger today but that's because of the role he is being given.

Navarro is getting in Bridcutt's way. He adds nothing defensively, players ran off him so often it was embarrasing and when he did get on the ball, his distribution was dreadful and often miscontrolled the ball. He added nothing going forward either, and had no part to play in the game at all. I don't blame anyone but himself, he's not getting involved in anything and was a complete passenger who should have been taken off long before he was.

Paynter is what I was expecting, a useless lump with no technical ability and a complete lack of nous in how to use his obvious bulk to knock the ball down for others to get into the game from. CMS was being wasted played alone, and it's even worse now he has such an inept partner. I didn't expect anything from Paynter, having seen a fair amount of him before we'd signed him, but even I wasn't expecting what little he did today.

We're too deep, we're too slow and we're too defensive. All these things are dictated by the manager, so we can't blame the players. And frankly, I don't blame Poyet either. For a start, we've kept another clean sheet and that's imperative considering the goals we were leaking before. But it is so frustrating watching teams like Nottingham Forest, who are clearly not as bad as the league suggests by the way, come to the Amex and completely dominate the game. We won in the end with a lucky late winner, but it's disappointing to watch that.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We won and since Navarro has been in we have done well ...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
They had a midfield chasing the ball down and looking for opportunities.

We didn't have a MF to speak of

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Navarro is a bloody joke,absolutely pointless,and i totally agree with the other 2.As soon as i heard the team i knew what to expect.We have some real quality sitting on the bench and others not even in the squad and we have to watch these 3 perform.Oh and yes i know we won but god knows how.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
People want to know why Forest were so much better than us today? They weren't carrying what we were. Barnes, Navarro and Paynter.

Barnes is being played completely out of position, he isn't getting in the game and he isn't the player Gus wants him to be. He seems to be having a go at the Bennett role of last season, narrow on the right and floating in behind the strikers. Seriously? We're sure, Barnes?! Crazy, he needs to be back up front instead of Paynter and then we can fairly judge him. He was a complete passenger today but that's because of the role he is being given.

Navarro is getting in Bridcutt's way. He adds nothing defensively, players ran off him so often it was embarrasing and when he did get on the ball, his distribution was dreadful and often miscontrolled the ball. He added nothing going forward either, and had no part to play in the game at all. I don't blame anyone but himself, he's not getting involved in anything and was a complete passenger who should have been taken off long before he was.

Paynter is what I was expecting, a useless lump with no technical ability and a complete lack of nous in how to use his obvious bulk to knock the ball down for others to get into the game from. CMS was being wasted played alone, and it's even worse now he has such an inept partner. I didn't expect anything from Paynter, having seen a fair amount of him before we'd signed him, but even I wasn't expecting what little he did today.

We're too deep, we're too slow and we're too defensive. All these things are dictated by the manager, so we can't blame the players. And frankly, I don't blame Poyet either. For a start, we've kept another clean sheet and that's imperative considering the goals we were leaking before. But it is so frustrating watching teams like Nottingham Forest, who are clearly not as bad as the league suggests by the way, come to the Amex and completely dominate the game. We won in the end with a lucky late winner, but it's disappointing to watch that.

I agree entirely. One of the luckiest 3 points we will ever get. And if Gus thinks that's his starting line up today had any merit, sooner or later we're going to be severely found out. Can anyone tell me why everything we do is so slow and predictable? It drives me mad.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

:bowdown: about time someone whos on the same level as me

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We won and since Navarro has been in we have done well ...

We did, and I've never seen us be so lucky to win.

Navarro contributed nothing. I've nothing against him personally, but I think his presence in the team at the moment is the most negative tactical move possible. Maybe once we've got full backs and a goalkeeper of better quality, we'll drop some of the defensive shackles and stop playing with two holding midfielders at home. We only need Bridcutt, and if he's not fit then Navarro can cover. Where's Sparrow gone again? We need something different next to Bridcutt, not a lesser quality version.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Shouldn't passengers be allowed on the Gus Bus? :jester:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bloody hell bit harsh maybe?

Strong, but fair. I know Navarro came on here to read the site last week, if he's back on here again tonight then he shouldn't be expecting to have his praises sung. He was poor today, he knows that and he'll be disappointed with himself. As I said, I've nothing against him at all, when he's playing well he's a good player and adds to the team. Today though, he was terrible and I hope the coaching staff make him realise why. If not, I've thrown my two shillings worth into the ring.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
No mention that Forest missed at least two open goals? No mention that our defence got us out of trouble on more than one occasion?

And this isn't Gus's chosen first team, is it. I'm sure that'll include Hoskins, Vicente, Buckley, Caldé & El Abd.

A disappointingly negative appraisal from the OP. We won, for goodness sake.

IGWT

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Amazing the amount of people who don't understand what is involved with playing in CM and how difficult it can be! Reminds of all the abuse that 'useless' now skipper of the team top of the championship used to be for is according to many on here

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No mention that Forest missed at least two open goals? No mention that our defence got us out of trouble on more than one occasion?

And this isn't Gus's chosen first team, is it. I'm sure that'll include Hoskins, Vicente, Buckley, Caldé & El Abd.

A disappointingly negative appraisal from the OP. We won, for goodness sake.

IGWT

So you point out that we won, and that Forest missed several absolute sitters? I don't think the defence itself was particularly good today, I thought Taricco had a torrid time against McCleary (who looked their best player), Jara wasn't much better against Anderson and Ankergren wasn't at his best either. Greer and Dunk were solid enough and did nothing overly wrong, but the clean sheet is down to poor finishing rather than good defending. We got numbers back, we never made it easy for them, but they should have scored atleast one of their good chances. If Majewski could finish, he'd be quite a player.

As for it not being the strongest team, I think that at the moment it is very close. Dicker would be in there perhaps, but the places for the others you mentioned are very questionable, especially Calderon whose place was lost when we signed Jara. Vicente can't be considered a part of our strongest team either, considering we haven't seen him for months and El-Abd will struggle to dislodge Dunk the way that the young man is playing.

I'm not a negative person, far from it. I'm just giving my opinions on why we were very lucky to win the game today. We could easily have been 2-0 down before we'd scored. But we weren't, and we won. This is the difference a few years have made. It doesn't seem all that long ago that I was on here talking about the opening day defeat to Walsall, where Andrew Whing had scored an own goal and we'd done everything but score.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Amazing the amount of people who don't understand what is involved with playing in CM and how difficult it can be! Reminds of all the abuse that 'useless' now skipper of the team top of the championship used to be for is according to many on here

Agreed, some f***ing idiots on here who you can tell haven't played the game.... Totally clueless

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
We did, and I've never seen us be so lucky to win.

Navarro contributed nothing. I've nothing against him personally, but I think his presence in the team at the moment is the most negative tactical move possible. Maybe once we've got full backs and a goalkeeper of better quality, we'll drop some of the defensive shackles and stop playing with two holding midfielders at home. We only need Bridcutt, and if he's not fit then Navarro can cover. Where's Sparrow gone again? We need something different next to Bridcutt, not a lesser quality version.

Disagree. Navarro helped to break up play and since he's been playing Bridcutt has been able to share some of the pressure and workload. I'll concede that he's not a creative player, but he has helped to stop the hemorrhaging of goals.

Trolly Dolly

Aug 22, 2011
I'd like to see Barnes playing in the psn that Paynter has occupied unsuccessfully and then Billy no Mates can push off back to Leeds...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
too many passengers on this site..lol..ffs...lucky win...but that football...another day we would be all over a side and lose....enjoy the moment and leave the rest until later in the week...some people are just never happy...o and they r so much better at team selection/man management than the guy in the job...still thats football.

PS..why wasn't Paynter subbed? lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here