Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking fine is it worth appealing ?

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Daughter only been driving a few months and parks in town (Eastbourne)
Sees the pay and display and sign says 'Pay and Display or permit holders' and buys a ticket for 2 hours.
Comes back well before the 2 hours are up and has a £70 Parking ticket.
It says on the parking fine "this bay is for Permit Holders only"
The road is only 100 metres long and on the right hand side has 4 signs equidistant along the road with 3 pay machines.
She parked halfway up the road in a bay on the lefthand side .
Since found out this is for Permit holders only but it is naughty because the signs stating 'Permit Holders only' are only sited at the two ends of the road 100 mtrs apart and my daughter parked in the middle and saw the signs and payment machine and thought she was doing the right thing.
Question I am asking is , is it worth appealing the fine because surely there must be a maximum distance for signs as 100mtrs apart seems a long way as she would have needed to have walked 50 metres from the car to read it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The golden rule appeal every council parking fine. The reduced rate is held while the appeal is going on so it will not cost you any more money. if you persist the council will usually drop it rather than go to a tribunal.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I got a ticket in East Grinstead in what looked like a long marked-out 'free' bay, to find there was a sign about fifty yards away obscured by a bush. When I appealed they withdrew the fine. Your daughter's case sounds a bit similar, so deffo appeal on the basis of ambiguity. Eastbourne might be a bit more lenient (hopefully) than say in Brighton...

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
is it the council or a private operator.

If the latter you're probably OK to ignore it. I have many times and had no comeback - a lot of the private operators rely on threats and don't follow them up because they have no strong legal rights.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Daughter only been driving a few months and parks in town (Eastbourne)
Sees the pay and display and sign says 'Pay and Display or permit holders' and buys a ticket for 2 hours.
Comes back well before the 2 hours are up and has a £70 Parking ticket.
It says on the parking fine "this bay is for Permit Holders only"
The road is only 100 metres long and on the right hand side has 4 signs equidistant along the road with 3 pay machines.
She parked halfway up the road in a bay on the lefthand side .
Since found out this is for Permit holders only but it is naughty because the signs stating 'Permit Holders only' are only sited at the two ends of the road 100 mtrs apart and my daughter parked in the middle and saw the signs and payment machine and thought she was doing the right thing.
Question I am asking is , is it worth appealing the fine because surely there must be a maximum distance for signs as 100mtrs apart seems a long way as she would have needed to have walked 50 metres from the car to read it.

Use the ambiguity in mitigation.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Surely in a situation like this they should be able to use a little bit of common sense. They can see it is an honest mistake and should be able to issue a warning instead of a fine and perhaps report the fact that people are having difficulty interpreting the signs. Of course this will never happen and they'd much rather slap a big fine on your windscreen because you've SERIOUSLY broken the rules.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Certainly worth appealing.

As stated above, don't worry about the fine doubling up as the period is extended while you appeal.

Get lots of photographic evidence to support your case.

Last year I took a fine from Lambeth for parking on the South Bank all the way to a tribunal, won and was awarded costs as the photos showed the signage was inadequate and did not comply with the regulations.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I got a ticket in East Grinstead in what looked like a long marked-out 'free' bay, to find there was a sign about fifty yards away obscured by a bush. When I appealed they withdrew the fine. Your daughter's case sounds a bit similar, so deffo appeal on the basis of ambiguity. Eastbourne might be a bit more lenient (hopefully) than say in Brighton...

Must have been a long time ago .... I've never seen a traffic warden in East Gridlock .... (assuming it was a TW?)

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Must have been a long time ago .... I've never seen a traffic warden in East Gridlock .... (assuming it was a TW?)

This was a couple of years ago. There were two TWs in a vehicle. When I asked the reason for the ticket, they pointed out the plate on a pole, about fifty yards away obscured by the bush. They suggested I appeal, which I did, successfully :smile:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Appeal

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Always appeal. Even go to the tribunal if necessary. It costs nothing to you but costs the council quite a bit, so they often back down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here