Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can guarantee these are the same people who answer yes on the questions like “Could you take a point off Serena Williams?” and the like.
With stuff like that, I think people just have very little concept just how good elite-level sports people are compared to the average Joe. If you were to have watched the women’s marathon earlier, they made it look like they’re running an ‘easy’ pace, but they’re actually going at around 3:25 per km for most of the race. To put it into context, that’s a 17:05 5K. I reckon I could get my 5K PB to that in 4 years, but irrelevant for 2 reasons: Firstly, I’m a bloke. Secondly, I doubt I’d be able to keep that pace going for another K nevermind another 37K!

The fact that 1 in 16 people believe that they could train themselves to run the 100m in 10s is actually quite scary.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Not sure what’s happened to the GB cycling team , they seems To be tactically inept , they all seem to be lacking in self confidence,
compared to the last 3 Olympics it’s been pretty poor, I think one gold on day one , since then no where near a gold

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Not sure what’s happened to the GB cycling team , they seems To be tactically inept , they all seem to be lacking in self confidence,
compared to the last 3 Olympics it’s been pretty poor, I think one gold on day one , since then no where near a gold
We were led to believe we’d probably get 8 golds too :down:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
And many of our boxers were cheated - with some of the most corrupt (or plain incompetent) judges.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That’s just insane. People genuinely think that the competitors at the Olympics have just practised really hard for the last 3-4 years.

It's so insane that I've just completely ignored it because I don't feel it can be real.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

We need new laws that stop people like Laura Kenny from retiring.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mark Lewis has an excellent channel on YouTube and in it he attempts to match various endeavours.

I like the idea of that, but his 200m run is a bit pathetic.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is that a fact or just opinion?
Opinion. But if you heard the reaction of the BBC commentators also, then you might come to the
same conclusion. I've been watching boxing for donkeys years and have never see such poor
bizarre decisions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Opinion. But if you heard the reaction of the BBC commentators also, then you might come to the
same conclusion. I've been watching boxing for donkeys years and have never see such poor
bizarre decisions.

I've listened to a fair bit of it, but it's not been clear whether people are just a bit surprised, or if it really is cheating. Presumably someone has taken the time to investigate the judges scores in each round to determine whether it's possible the results were honest, or if there's a link with specific judges making clearly incorrect calls.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've listened to a fair bit of it, but it's not been clear whether people are just a bit surprised, or if it really is cheating. Presumably someone has taken the time to investigate the judges scores in each round to determine whether it's possible the results were honest, or if there's a link with specific judges making clearly incorrect calls.
Interesting. Two that stand out for me especially are the Welsh girl and the heavyweight bloke.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why did they change the boxing scoring system back again? I thought that things had got better when there was in round scoring with judges pressing buttons and if several did it simultaneously, then the boxer scored points. Or was that bent too?
Based upon the physiques of the ladies currently weight lifting, we already have quite a large population shaped like that so maybe 4 years training isn't so far-fetched? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here