Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I’m really going to miss it all on Monday 😔
With all those silvers today, here's a silver lining for you, me and everyone else on here who loves sport that isn't just football.

Having given so much visibility to para-athletes in the past, Channel 4 are going to do a great job.

18 days to go...

https://www.channel4.com/press/news...g-line-and-biggest-ever-broadcast-plans-paris

Channel 4 unveils ground-breaking presenting line-up and biggest-ever broadcast plans for Paris 2024 Paralympic Games

• More than 1,300 hours of live sport across Channel 4, More4 and Streaming
  • Rose Ayling-Ellis and Ellie Simmonds make Channel 4 presenting debuts
  • Young, emerging talent to report on action from around the city
  • The Last Leg relocates to Paris
The Paris 2024 Paralympic Games is set to be the biggest ever broadcast on Channel 4 with over 1,300 hours of live sport airing for free across Channel 4, More4, Channel 4 Streaming and Channel 4 Sport’s YouTube. From the first moment of the Opening Ceremony on Wednesday 28 August to the final seconds of the Closing Ceremony on Sunday 8 September, Channel 4 will bring viewers all the action, medals and must-see moments from every Paralympic venue across Paris.

Building on the pioneering achievements of previous Paralympic coverage, Paris 2024 is set to be Channel 4’s most accessible Games to date. All content will be broadcast with subtitles, live peak time sport on Channel 4 will have closed audio description*, while live sport on More4 and Channel 4 Streaming on weekday afternoons will include BSL live signing*.

The Opening and Closing Ceremonies are to be simulcast on 4Seven and Channel 4 Streaming with BSL and open descriptive commentary. Plus, all episodes of The Last Leg and daily highlights programmes will be simulcast on 4Seven and Channel 4 Streaming with BSL live signing. Daily highlights on Channel 4 will also have live closed audio description.

Over the 12-day event, coverage starts at breakfast time and follows all the medals and stories of the day until the action concludes, broadcasting across two channels and Channel 4 Streaming, plus, as previously announced, every televised moment of the Paralympics streaming on Channel 4 Sport’s YouTube channel, with up to 18 concurrent streams. For the first time since London 2012, the key finals and podium moments will take place in primetime viewing as we bring the UK together to celebrate Paralympic sport. C’est magnifique!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In all seriousness I'm going to miss the Olympics next week and the only other time I can recall feeling that was after London 12 years ago and I can remember all Olympics back to LA 40 years ago, so fair play to Paris, it's been a great watch.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In all seriousness I'm going to miss the Olympics next week and the only other time I can recall feeling that was after London 12 years ago and I can remember all Olympics back to LA 40 years ago, so fair play to Paris, it's been a great watch.
Granted, it’s a long way off, but if anyone wants to watch those Track and Field athletes live then the Diamond League will be at the London Stadium on July 19 next year.

It’s a great 1-day event and we have fantastic British talent to support, particularly on the track.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, that clearly stands out - a Brit deservedly going in as favourite, dominating the race and outclassing the rest of the world.

She was amazing. In truth, no more amazing than many other athletes who won gold for their country, but Keely was amazing for us.

For me, I'll go for the final descent of the MTB where Tom Pidcock came through the gap in the trees to overtake the French rider and take gold.

The puncture coming earlier in the race only added to the herculean effort to get back into contention for a medal, let alone win it.

Sporting drama at its absolute finest.

But yeah, that was possibly the most impressive feat in the whole Olympics, for any country. Ridiculous really.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Has been a fun Olympics. Like I said at the beginning, the French would make up for the somewhat meh opening ceremony through being the most lively crowd in decades, and they've certainly done it.

Lots of excellent sports. Probably mainly going to remember the table tennis and Armand Duplantis. Beating any Olympic jumping record with 23 cm is obviously as impressive it gets - no one at these Olympics can compete with that. Too bad the World Record was always going to be more interesting than the competition itself.

Only moan I have really is the TV production which I've felt been at best meh throughout the games.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Anything over 60 medals is a good result but not outstanding, particularly with a significant reduction in golds.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
If you've not seen it, seek out the highlights for the women's marathon. The final kilometre was just superb.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Kate French is out of the modern penthalon and won’t be defending her Olympic title due to sickness.

• Sad
Reactions: A1X

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That’s just insane. People genuinely think that the competitors at the Olympics have just practised really hard for the last 3-4 years.

Obviously they have, but they’ve mostly practised really hard at their sport since they were kids and also happen to have an incredible amount of natural talent.
Can guarantee these are the same people who answer yes on the questions like “Could you take a point off Serena Williams?” and the like.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can guarantee these are the same people who answer yes on the questions like “Could you take a point off Serena Williams?” and the like.
The women's road cycling race was about 100 miles with an average speed of 25mph. I could probably only sustain 25mph on the flat for a few seconds.

I also recall a few years ago, a big screen about 25m long featuring a marathon runner and the test was to match him. The attempts were embarrassing.

These are elite MFs and no mistake.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well Evans was shit in the omnium

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The women's road cycling race was about 100 miles with an average speed of 25mph. I could probably only sustain 25mph on the flat for a few seconds.

Presumably you'd keep up for a bit longer if you had a few riders in front of you.

I also recall a few years ago, a big screen about 25m long featuring a marathon runner and the test was to match him. The attempts were embarrassing.

These are elite MFs and no mistake.

Yep. I could keep up with the 10,000m runners for 100 meters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Dutchman didn't mean to, he suddenly swerved down past the red line, headbutted our rider, and swerved back up. It was a clear loss of control and accident. But I can't see any way they don't get disqualified for it.

They were disqualified

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here