Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Ah, so close. Just that slip at the end.

Still, a very decent silver as 4th seed. And another GB medal. :)

Just watching his post-fight interview. Very gracious, full of charisma and a big future ahead of him.

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Not sure how we ended up in a beach volleyball final. Not really a natural habitat.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
BBC Sport live text...

"This is the highest athletics medal count for Team GB at an Olympics since 1984.
Great Britain have 10 athletics medals - with just the women's marathon to come tomorrow morning - which is second only to the 16 won in Los Angeles.
That was the Games of golds for Sebastian Coe, Daley Thompson and Tessa Sanderson. It was also a Games which the USSR boycotted.
Among the most notable achievements at Paris 2024 has been GB winning a medal in every athletics relay race - something never achieved by Britain before at an Olympics."

We've had a few near misses for gold in Kerr and KJT, but it's been a very good return.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
BBC Sport live text...

"This is the highest athletics medal count for Team GB at an Olympics since 1984.
Great Britain have 10 athletics medals - with just the women's marathon to come tomorrow morning - which is second only to the 16 won in Los Angeles.
That was the Games of golds for Sebastian Coe, Daley Thompson and Tessa Sanderson. It was also a Games which the USSR boycotted.
Among the most notable achievements at Paris 2024 has been GB winning a medal in every athletics relay race - something never achieved by Britain before at an Olympics."

We've had a few near misses for gold in Kerr and KJT, but it's been a very good return.
We’d have been second in the table if we counted it the American (I.e. wrong) way

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
More or less done now. It’s been a fantastic 2 weeks of sport, and the French have put on a great show.

The Rio games had nothing like this atmosphere and buy in from the Brazilian public, and the Tokyo games were just ar an unfortunate time.

I’m really going to miss it all on Monday 😔

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
More or less done now. It’s been a fantastic 2 weeks of sport, and the French have put on a great show.

The Rio games had nothing like this atmosphere and buy in from the Brazilian public, and the Tokyo games were just ar an unfortunate time.

I’m really going to miss it all on Monday 😔
Agree with all of that.

After those fuckers bombed the train lines on Day 1 and an err, different Opening Ceremony, I’ll admit - I feared the worst.

But, it’s been a brilliant Games and this thread has really heightened my knowledge and appreciation of some sports I know very little about.

Highlight for me? Keely Hodgkinson’s 800m Gold. That will live long, long in the memory.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Really going to miss Denise Lewis, she's a great presenter. UK athletics are getting a superb new President though. Wonder who will slot into her place?

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
OK, artistic synchro swimming. Huge respect to those that do it. The strength, the ability to hold their breath, the sheer beauty of the routine. Impressed.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Highlight for me? Keely Hodgkinson’s 800m Gold. That will live long, long in the memory.
Yes, that clearly stands out - a Brit deservedly going in as favourite, dominating the race and outclassing the rest of the world.

For me, I'll go for the final descent of the MTB where Tom Pidcock came through the gap in the trees to overtake the French rider and take gold.

The puncture coming earlier in the race only added to the herculean effort to get back into contention for a medal, let alone win it.

Sporting drama at its absolute finest.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agree with all of that.

After those fuckers bombed the train lines on Day 1 and an err, different Opening Ceremony, I’ll admit - I feared the worst.

But, it’s been a brilliant Games and this thread has really heightened my knowledge and appreciation of some sports I know very little about.

I even liked the opening ceremony! Certainly a brave departure from the traditional stadium routine by having the athletes come down the Seine in boats.

That’s been one of the great things actually, in that they’ve tried to do as much in the centre of Paris as possible, and that included the opening ceremony.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yes, that clearly stands out - a Brit deservedly going in as favourite, dominating the race and outclassing the rest of the world.

For me, I'll go for the final descent of the MTB where Tom Pidcock came through the gap in the trees to overtake the French rider and take gold.

The puncture coming earlier in the race only added to the herculean effort to get back into contention for a medal, let alone win it.

Sporting drama at its absolute finest.
Yee appearing out of nowhere (because of the dodgy TV coverage) to swipe the lead in the triathlon just ahead of the final turn.
:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here