Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's quite noticeable with the American surprise golds in 1500m and 400m and now the surprise silver in the steeplechase. Normally athletes are told to hold their form in the closing stages. But in these races the Americans were literally all over the place like they were fighting to the line , you might say almost say as if they were running for their lives. Do you think they have been coached that?

Superior athletes.
The unsurpassed collegiate system … they sauce anyone with talent and turn them into winners, their uni’s have incredible facilities.
Drawing from a huge pool of 333m, the US is half a continent.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s also worth remembering we’re ultimately picking from a talent pool of about 66m people, whereas the US are picking from one 5x that number
And most of our really good Olympians attend us collegiate education establishments, where years ago swimmers for example were based at Millfield school

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Taekwondo is reminding me of two of my mates, Pete and Ray, that lived in my apartment block in Sydney.

They were both Taekwondo black belts but used to have an additional scrap after training in which they pulled their suits over their heads and yelled things like 'you will give me TP for my bunghole' at each other.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair the Aussies have nothing else
going for them culture wise. It’s sport or nothing
Plus they’re naturally faster runners because most of their wildlife is trying to kill them 24/7

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And most of our really good Olympians attend us collegiate education establishments, where years ago swimmers for example were based at Millfield school
Plenty of the current GB swimmers came through Millfield. And nearly all of them through Bath, Loughborough and Stirling Universities.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And another thing, I don’t think there are many countries with strength and genuine medal contenders across such a wide range of diverse sports as the U.K.
Down to the diversity of folk living in the country

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
So. why are we technically inept? We pour more money into sport than most countries in the world and we're sh*t.
Same in Tennis , golf , we get all the natural talent coached out , we have no creative sportsmen , because of this

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is the 2024 Olympics thread.

If people want to start a new thread about British sport in general, please go ahead. I’d be happy to read and contribute myself. But please don’t f*** up this one - it’s been a great thread so far, celebrating all sports and all competing nations.

Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here