Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is the 2024 Olympics thread.

If people want to start a new thread about British sport in general, please go ahead. I’d be happy to read and contribute myself. But please don’t f*** up this one - it’s been a great thread so far, celebrating all sports and all competing nations.

Thanks.
Amen.

And, at a time when events in this country have been so thoroughly depressing, the Olympics has been the perfect antidote: joyous and inspirational as some incredible people achieved their life's dreams after years of meticulous dedication.

Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Don’t know what all the complaining about us having won only 12 golds amongst a good haul of silvers and bronzes with 3 days still to go. We won 1 single gold in 1996, amongst a total of 15 medals!
Look how much lottery money is pumped into British sport , that’s why we are winning medals

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Do we have a god given right to be the best?

Exactly, and it's a flawed argument anyway when you look at how well GB has done in every Olympics since 2004. Right up there in the medal standings, both golds and overall medal count. We're clearly doing something right. What more are some folk - who more than likely havent played anywhere near the top level in any sport themselves whatsoever - expecting?! Yes we've missed out on a few golds this time round which is a shame, but we're talking hair's breadths - such fine margins

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Look how much lottery money is pumped into British sport , that’s why we are winning medals
Well I didn’t think it was a coincidence that we started winning medals once our competitors didn’t have to work 5 days a week, not to mention the building of facilIties round the country for them to train in such as 50m swimming pools.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Much like with the Albion, I go into most of these events hoping rather than expecting we’ll come out on top. Overall we are doing OK but there have been a few slightly disappointing “nearlys”

I am sure most other lower level countries feel the same

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Exactly, and it's a flawed argument anyway when you look at how well GB has done in every Olympics since 2004. Right up there in the medal standings, both golds and overall medal count. We're clearly doing something right. What more are some folk - who more than likely havent played anywhere near the top level in any sport themselves whatsoever - expecting?! Yes we've missed out on a few golds this time round which is a shame, but we're talking hair's breadths - such fine margins
Pffff, Medal standings need to be done with per capita proportions.

Unless St Lucia or Grenada can find another medal somewhere, Dominicia are running away with it this time around. But obviously no one is getting near San Marino from last Olympics - 3 medals with a 34k population!

Disappointing summer for serial winning superpower Bahamas but they might have a better chance in 2028, closer to home.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Pffff, Medal standings need to be done with per capita proportions.

Unless St Lucia or Grenada can find another medal somewhere, Dominicia are running away with it this time around. But obviously no one is getting near San Marino from last Olympics - 3 medals with a 34k population!

Disappointing summer for serial winning superpower Bahamas but they might have a better chance in 2028, closer to home.

Eh? I'm talking vs comparable nations: Germany, France (OK not this time round so far but they are on home soil), Spain, Italy and the like. We've finished above all those for a couple of decades now

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
as each host city gets a pick of a sport to add assume baseball and American football to appear.
Baseball is already included in the next games - and it was announced yesterday that flag American Football will also be making its debut at the LA Olympics.

Certainly wont be a given that the US win gold in the baseball - Japan are the current world champs, and lots of other nations such as the Dominican Republic will be well represented and more than capable of winning it. Fully expect the US to win flag football though...although I would've said that this time about the 3v3 'street' basketball, but the US failed to make either of the finals.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm sure this has been mentioned before (i.e. can't be arsed to trawl through 2,033 responses to find out!) but FFS, who designed the GBR tracksuits???

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I'm sure this has been mentioned before (i.e. can't be arsed to trawl through 2,033 responses to find out!) but FFS, who designed the GBR tracksuits???
With that in mind and at the risk of turning this into the ‘new kit thread’ which country has the best tracksuit?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Adidas produced the design in-house and claim it is a “design DNA that celebrates the unique aspects of Great Britain, while encapsulating the fire of passion that burns within every athlete."

So anyone believing it is simply a white trackie top with GREAT BRITAIN printed across the chest in orange letters is clearly mistaken. (Yours for £90 btw)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Adidas produced the design in-house and claim it is a “design DNA that celebrates the unique aspects of Great Britain, while encapsulating the fire of passion that burns within every athlete."

So anyone believing it is simply a white trackie top with GREAT BRITAIN printed across the chest in orange letters is clearly mistaken. (Yours for £90 btw)
I shall treat that load of design billy bollocks with the utter disdain it deserves!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The GB kit is actually decent this time round. One of the best in recent years.

But yes - the tracksuit - with the weird black bits at the bottom of the legs, that make everyone wearing them look like an amputee - not so much.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

But yes - the tracksuit - with the weird black bits at the bottom of the legs, that make everyone wearing them look like an amputee - not so much.
I agree the kit is nice but the tracksuits.....!

Oh and I quite like the Canadian Volleyball kit too......

85AACB9D-5AB7-4168-B16D-081DC523CF7F.jpeg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yes, I think the kit is okay - a lot better than Rio, which was just a mess.

I agree about the weird black waistband and cuffs on the podium gear - not massively flattering; but having said that I quite like the t-shirt version (it doesn't have the silly dark trim).

I was pondering buying one (the t-shirt) from the official TeamGB on-line store just before the Games started. Then the moment we started to win our first medals it sold out everywhere, in every size. (Which is odd, because I haven't actually seen anyone wearing one, other than on the sofa with Mark Chapman after the News)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here