Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The Americans are cleaning up in the track and field.

the target for medals for team GB was around 55 and we are now 49, so we are on target. Hopefully the cyclists can chip in again with another haul.

i am surprised that we haven’t done better in sailing as in the past that has got us a bag full.
lord knows what they're going to be like in 2028.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
ffs. Another f****g silver.

why can't we be the f*****s nicking the gold. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Yeah - once in about 15 f*cking events

True. But done to us about 12 times since,.

There seems to be a thread of "loser" running through most of UK sport, from football to cricket
to rugby to many other sports. Down to mental fortitude? We come up short on so many occasions on the
big stage. Every time. Time after time, afer every f*&***g time.

In the case of football, nearly 60 years would say differently.

True. But when was the last time we won the Rugby world cup (although being in the final
a number times), the Ashes, etc etc. We are known as chokers on the world stage.

So. why are we technically inept? We pour more money into sport than most countries in the world and we're sh*t.

I take yout point. But GB/UK etc has too often been seen as the gallant loser; accept bronze- it's a medal.
Maybe I'm expecting too much.

What the f*** is wrong with you? Why have you decided to piss and shit all over this thread? As someone based abroad, who can't watch the events as they happen, this thread is usually a very informative and uplifting peek into what is going on in the Olympics from a GB perspective.

And then you happened. With the best will in the world - bugger off.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The Americans are cleaning up in the track and field.

the target for medals for team GB was around 55 and we are now 49, so we are on target. Hopefully the cyclists can chip in again with another haul.

i am surprised that we haven’t done better in sailing as in the past that has got us a bag full.
No was 70 medals , looks like most will be silver and bronze,
Australia way ahead of us , with a third of the population of the UK

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
What the f*** is wrong with you? Why have you decided to piss and shit all over this thread? As someone based abroad, who can't watch the events as they happen, this thread is usually a very informative and uplifting peek into what is going on in the Olympics from a GB perspective.

And then you happened. With the best will in the world - bugger off.
Maybe because I care.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
lord knows what they're going to be like in 2028.
They are changing the order so athletics will be done first week so the American watching public can see them winning medals( so they can satisfy the advertisers) meaning they will go into the second week with millions of medals and then the armchair fans can switch off as they don’t give a f about anything they won’t win.

as each host city gets a pick of a sport to add assume baseball and American football to appear.

papachris

It's quite noticeable with the American surprise golds in 1500m and 400m and now the surprise silver in the steeplechase. Normally athletes are told to hold their form in the closing stages. But in these races the Americans were literally all over the place like they were fighting to the line , you might say almost say as if they were running for their lives. Do you think they have been coached that?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
They are changing the order so athletics will be done first week so the American watching public can see them winning medals( so they can satisfy the advertisers) meaning they will go into the second week with millions of medals and then the armchair fans can switch off as they don’t give a f about anything they won’t win.

as each host city gets a pick of a sport to add assume baseball and American football to appear.
Don’t forget all the medals they will win in swimming

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It's quite noticeable with the American surprise golds in 1500m and 400m and now the surprise silver in the steeplechase. Normally athletes are told to hold their form in the closing stages. But in these races the Americans were literally all over the place like they were fighting to the line , you might say almost say as if they were running for their lives. Do you think they have been coached that?
No they just want it more , we lost 2 gold medals today because our athletes didn’t want it enough

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No they just want it more , we lost 2 gold medals today because our athletes didn’t want it enough
That's very harsh - Hudson Smith lost by 4 hundredths of a second; you wouldn't be saying that if he'd been 5 hundredths of a second quicker

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Budget. After an awful Montreal Olympics, they set up the Australian Institute of Sport, obsessed with targeting gold medals and winning at rugby etc. And a wider spend all the way to schools. A public spend of A$0.6b per year, with a further A$250m being spent upgrading the main facility.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s also worth remembering we’re ultimately picking from a talent pool of about 66m people, whereas the US are picking from one 5x that number

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Budget. After an awful Montreal Olympics, they set up the Australian Institute of Sport, obsessed with targeting gold medals and winning at rugby etc. And a wider spend all the way to schools. A public spend of A$0.6b per year, with a further A$250m being spent upgrading the main facility.
Yet we've still got 8 medals more than them overall. With the Olympics it's such fine margins so often - it's a shame we're down on the number of golds we've been expecting, but a great haul yet again. We're still up there and streets ahead of other big comparable nations

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, between 50 and 70 was reported.

to be fair to Australia, as with most countries overseas they really do value all sport, and put a lot of money into national academies. When I lived in South Africa sport was valued over most things and in schools, we played almost every sport you could think of and I remember as a young boy having coaches visiting every week for our sports lessons. From tennis, swimming, athletics, football,cricket etc etc. we even had a visit from a local riding club who brought with them a string of horses we could ride and were shown demonstrations of jumping etc. my parents were contacted a couple of times to release me to go to sports camps for cricket and athletics. I got my love of cricket and discuss and shot putt from that time ( leading to schoolboy county cricket and county representative shot/discuss )

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No, between 50 and 70 was reported.

to be fair to Australia, as with most countries overseas they really do value all sport, and put a lot of money into national academies. When I lived in South Africa sport was valued over most things and in schools, we played almost every sport you could think of and I remember as a young boy having coaches visiting every week for our sports lessons. From tennis, swimming, athletics, football,cricket etc etc. we even had a visit from a local riding club who brought with them a string of horses we could ride and were shown demonstrations of jumping etc. my parents were contacted a couple of times to release me to go to sports camps for cricket and athletics. I got my love of cricket and discuss and shot putt from that time ( leading to schoolboy county cricket and county representative shot/discuss )

Interesting then the SA have a grand total of 4 medals!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here