Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And that's it.

India clinical and deserved winners with a heroic effect overcoming the numerical disadvantage.

GB not enough quality and didn't take advantage.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No - GB is England, Scotland and Wales.

I'm not really sure why we compete as GB&NI (and frequently ignore the NI bit) rather than the UK - The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

TLDR: Team GB is wrong as GB does not include NI, Team UK is wrong as UK does not include Isle of Man, Channel Islands and overseas territories.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

TLDR: Team GB is wrong as GB does not include NI, Team UK is wrong as UK does not include Isle of Man, Channel Islands and overseas territories.
Wouldn't it be easier to just compete as different nations? Sure, would look bad in the medal table but who gives a f***.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone else see Crittenden in the 110m hurdles?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good crowds for all sessions at the athletics, which is a nice contrast from Rio (and Japan obvs).

Fair play to the French fans. I don’t think they have any star names in the track and field, do they?? In fact I can’t think of the last time a French track/field athlete won an Olympic gold. Anyone?

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Good crowds for all sessions at the athletics, which is a nice contrast from Rio (and Japan obvs).

Fair play to the French fans. I don’t think they have any star names in the track and field, do they?? In fact I can’t think of the last time a French track/field athlete won an Olympic gold. Anyone?
Marie-José Pérec 200 & 400m gold in Atlanta '96?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Really poor from GB, India excellent.
We played a classic Southgate way, he must have worked with the hockey coach. Take it slow, give the opposition time to get back & organised, play it along the back line lots then just hit it hard & hope.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We played a classic Southgate way, he must have worked with the hockey coach. Take it slow, give the opposition time to get back & organised, play it along the back line lots then just hit it hard & hope.
Thought the same. Potterball at it’s most ineffective too. Very very frustrating watch and some bad decision making and cluelessness. But as I said before I know f*** all about hockey. When I played it I don’t think sticks above the shoulder were illegal either, maybe I was just a shit hockey player, I did play in the Bs or Cs :smile:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Renaud Lavillenie took gold in London 2012 and silver in Rio 2016 in the pole vault.

Before Duplantis took over, he held the indoor world record for 6 years.

But yes, generally they're not as strong in track and field as other European nations.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Lottie Fry in Individual Dressage - Bronze. 🥉

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wouldn't it be easier to just compete as different nations? Sure, would look bad in the medal table but who gives a f***.
But we're one country, so it wouldn't make sense to compete as different nations. Why don't the United States compete disunited?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
But we're one country, so it wouldn't make sense to compete as different nations. Why don't the United States compete disunited?
Because the United States doesn't pretend that they're several different nations when they're playing football, basketball, rugby, curling, lacrosse etc. to then pretend every 4th year that they're one happy united bunch?

If it makes no sense that Andy Murray is competing as Scottish rather than British, why does it make sense does it make sense that Billy Gilmour is competing as Scottish rather than British?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I want to watch the golf uninterrupted but a local internet outage is preventing that and causing much distress.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Watching the rowing buildup - does Matthew Pinsent only own one shirt?

He's been wearing the same one every time I've seen him in these games, over at least three days.
Going on from this, Chris Boardman who covers the cycling only ever seems to wear Polo Ralph Lauren mesh polo shirts.

He's rocking a rather fetching purple number today.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because the United States doesn't pretend that they're several different nations when they're playing football, basketball, rugby, curling, lacrosse etc. to then pretend every 4th year that they're one happy united bunch?

Your dislike of our country is really odd. The UK is made up of different nations. That's a fact. We could compete in football as one, but the first ever international football match was between England and Scotland (same for rugby), and we like to keep the teams separate for both tradition and a sense of pride for each nation. I'm not sure why that upsets you. And for the Olympics we compete as one. Again I'm not sure why you care about that.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That was the last one I could think of. Didn’t she pull out of the Sydney ganes under some odd circumstances 4 years later?
Yes, she did. As I recall, she had a coach with a very dodgy history, possibly East German, and they jointly threw a tantrum over some perceived insult (possibly being required to take a drugs test) and flew home before competition started.
From wiki: -
The two 1996 Olympic golds were Pérec's last international titles. In 1997, she shifted to the 200 metres but withdrew at the semi-finals stage in the World Championships that year, and she barely raced at all in 1998 and 1999.
On 8 July 2000, having not run a 400 metres race since 1996, Pérec began her Olympic title defence by finishing third in Nice (at the Nikaia meeting of the 2000 IAAF Grand Prix), behind eventual Olympic silver and bronze medalists Lorraine Graham and Katharine Merry.[3] This was the last significant race Pérec took part in. On 22 September 2000, she pulled out of the 200 metres and 400 metres events of the 2000 Sydney Games, several days before they were due to start. Pérec claimed that she had been threatened and insulted several times since arriving in Australia and that the local press, who were supporting Australian athlete Cathy Freeman, had been trying to sabotage her chances of winning 400 metres gold.[4][5]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here