Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We finished 4th last time v their 8th. Just a question of how much they up their game for a home Olympics.

I've already watched a couple of their golds (mountain biking and canoeing) where they clearly had a big home advantage from practicing on the Olympic course in advance. That's not to say they wouldn't have won gold without that advantage, but the margin of victory was big enough to suggest that was why.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No idea to be fair re. the rowing, although I think our best days in the velodrome are well behind us.

A Brit just dumped a frenchie out of the Archery.
Isn’t the derivation of the British 2-fingered salute from archery when England and France were at war a lot? Something to do with one side cutting the 2 fingers off the other so that they could no longer shoot an arrow.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fabulous hold by Watson from 0-40 down, they’re a game away from knocking out the 6th seeds

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Isn’t the derivation of the British 2-fingered salute from archery when England and France were at war a lot? Something to do with one side cutting the 2 fingers off the other so that they could no longer shoot an arrow.
That was actually an urban myth.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fabulous hold by Watson from 0-40 down, they’re a game away from knocking out the 6th seeds
Boulter serves it out, great win

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just watched the men's triathlon again. Amazing. As Yee overtakes Wilde with a few hundred meters to go, Matt Chilton commentates on it, and you can simply hear co-commentator Annie Emmerson sobbing in the background.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Best atmosphere at an Olympics ever?? The BBC swimming commentators are agog at how sensational atmosphere is.

France absolutely knocking it out of the park,we catch up and they surge away again.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Best atmosphere at an Olympics ever?? The BBC swimming commentators are agog at how sensational atmosphere is.

France absolutely knocking it out of the park,we catch up and they surge away again.
Don't worry - tomorrow we'll bag a few more Rowing Golds and we'll be on top again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just watched the men's triathlon again. Amazing. As Yee overtakes Wilde with a few hundred meters to go, Matt Chilton commentates on it, and you can simply hear co-commentator Vicky Holland sobbing in the background.
Been out all day so missed it. Have watched it a few times now, and also listened to the radio coverage (5L keep repeating it). Absolutely astonishing to find that burst of pace when the engine was already running on fumes. Interesting story just now on TV about how he was influenced by Ali Brownlee shouting at him during the 10k. Incredible performance.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Been out all day so missed it. Have watched it a few times now, and also listened to the radio coverage (5L keep repeating it). Absolutely astonishing to find that burst of pace when the engine was already running on fumes. Interesting story just now on TV about how he was influenced by Ali Brownlee shouting at him during the 10k. Incredible performance.

I liked how they had absolutely nothing left in the tank after they crossed the line. They basically fell on top of each other and could barely even take the bottles of water they were offered. The definition of giving everything.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I liked how they had absolutely nothing left in the tank after they crossed the line. They basically fell on top of each other and could barely even take the bottles of water they were offered. The definition of giving everything.
Exactly that……..Yee literally crawled to the side when he started moving. Great sportsmanship from the Kiwi too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Yee was a mess. Bergere in third looked like he could keep on running.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Just watched the men's triathlon again. Amazing. As Yee overtakes Wilde with a few hundred meters to go, Matt Chilton commentates on it, and you can simply hear co-commentator Annie Emmerson sobbing in the background.
You rewatched a 3 hour triathlon the same day?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Leon Marchand! Is that guy human??? Absolutely mind-blowing!

:ohmy:

Best Olympics performance ever? The roof is coming off the arena, never heard anything atmosphere quite like it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly that……..Yee literally crawled to the side when he started moving. Great sportsmanship from the Kiwi too.

It was great sportsmanship from loads of them. They seem to get on well, possibly united by respect for how mad they all are doing such a tough sport. Le Corre came in 4th, agonisingly missing out on a medal at his home Olympics, and just went straight to congratulate Yee and Wilde.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You rewatched a 3 hour triathlon the same day?
It was an hour 44. I couldn't watch it the first time (caught glimpses) because I was at work. Then for the replay, I skipped some bits, so spent an hour watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here