Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Paris 2024 Olympics & Paralympics ***Official Match Thread***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One gold on the athletics track , one in cycling , one in sailing , boxing was poor , , we started well but then turned a bit flat ,lots of bronze and silver , but its gold that really counts, and I think we had a poor games ,

I've already started with my sour grapes moaning at the medal table - we are where we deserve to be in the table, because those are the rules and that's the way it went. However, moving forward, I do think it would be good to change to a point system, and the main reason is because currently silver and bronze are worth practically nothing (yes I know the US won in the end with their silvers, but for most nations, the silvers are almost worthless, and the bronzes are completely worthless) - and the problem with that is that a lot of the time people won't even care about their athletes (among the best 2 or 3 in the world) trying to win a medal.

A lot of our athletes have rightly celebrated getting a medal, whatever the colour, but the nation would celebrate with them more if it meant something on the medal table. We had 22 silvers and 29 bronzes, and they made zero difference to the medal table.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
I heard the guy from British boxing on R5 last week saying that amateur boxing is struggling at the moment since as soon as anyone shows any talent, they are persuaded to turn pro. It also didn't help that those boxers that were in Paris were all drawn against the world number 1s or 2s in the first round (apparently, I hadn't checked that). He is very worried about funding going forward.
They changed the rules and Pro boxers are allowed to compete in the Olympics now

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
I think you've done a very good Olympics. Haven't watched as much as I'd liked to because I'm on holiday, but even a silver or bronze is actually very good. It must be extremely hard to be at your peak on a certain day, once every four years. I understand why some athletes don't participate in the opening ceremony or so. Health is everything these weeks. Athletes that have won a medal or are sniffing around their PB are worth a big applause! A very good Olympics all in all, thank you France! Bring on the closing ceremony, I really liked that one in Sydney BTW.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not been poor by any standards. The previous 3 games have been exceptional from a Team GB point of view (and in terms of golds won Paris is still something like the 6th best ever) but a lot of big names from those Olympics are now retired. This has been a transitional games, lots of competitors will now know what it takes to get gold next time out.

It’s been a learning experience, we lost several golds in the final moments of a race etc, that’s going to drive these athletes to go one better next time. Some sports performed worse than we expected but we found new stars in others. It’s still been an enjoyable games despite some of the disappointments.
This. Margins between gold, silver and bronze are absolutely tiny - the fact we’re at the upper end of Team GBs target/prediction for medals with so many younger competitors is fantastic. I’ve loved every minute of it.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
This. Margins between gold, silver and bronze are absolutely tiny - the fact we’re at the upper end of Team GBs target/prediction for medals with so many younger competitors is fantastic. I’ve loved every minute of it.
It’s been great and rediscovered my love for watching all kinds of sport again.

Having a Europe based Olympics makes a massive difference as can watch loads of live events in the evenings.

Time zones ruined the last two and they just passed me by.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Worse showing in the medal table for position and Golds since Athens 2004. Some really disappointing showings in areas we were strong in before.

Either other nations are catching us up in the sporting field or we are not investing probably or we have a shortage of talent. Our Gen Z need to get out of bed maybe ?
……….but more medals than London 2012

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s been great and rediscovered my love for watching all kinds of sport again.

Having a Europe based Olympics makes a massive difference as can watch loads of live events in the evenings.

Time zones ruined the last two and they just passed me by.
Yeh, a European time zone really helps you feel you lived it properly for 2 weeks. In LA, a lot of the swimming and athletics finals will take place as between 1-4am our time 😔

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've already started with my sour grapes moaning at the medal table - we are where we deserve to be in the table, because those are the rules and that's the way it went. However, moving forward, I do think it would be good to change to a point system, and the main reason is because currently silver and bronze are worth practically nothing (yes I know the US won in the end with their silvers, but for most nations, the silvers are almost worthless, and the bronzes are completely worthless) - and the problem with that is that a lot of the time people won't even care about their athletes (among the best 2 or 3 in the world) trying to win a medal.

A lot of our athletes have rightly celebrated getting a medal, whatever the colour, but the nation would celebrate with them more if it meant something on the medal table. We had 22 silvers and 29 bronzes, and they made zero difference to the medal table.
If by a points system you mean that some country that wins tons of silver and bronze might then finish above a country with more golds but far fewer minor medals then I'm dead set against it. When we started to finish above the Aussies, that's how they then started showing the table, ie total medals. Crass. For those old enough to remember, back in the 70s and 80s, we were lucky if we got 3 golds at a games!! In 72 we got 4 golds, 76 only 3, Moscow only 5 and the same in LA, Seoul and Barcelona. And then in Atlanta, the lowest of the low, only 1 gold. We've come a long way since then.

As for this games, we've had some bad luck. A few falls in the cycling. French, the reigning Olympic champion having to withdraw from the modern pentathlon, Caudery, the world's best this year, inexplicably failing to qualify for the final of the pole vault. Fine margins in some other cases, Kerr, Hudson-Smith etc.

In other words, don't be too downbeat.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone who thinks we shouldn’t do it by golds is denying us the comedy that was the Americans losing their shit about everyone else putting China ahead of them until this afternoon, and also the amusement of Ireland beating Brazil despite getting a quarter of their medals

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If by a points system you mean that some country that wins tons of silver and bronze might then finish above a country with more golds but far fewer minor medals then I'm dead set against it.

Yes, that's obviously what I mean.

When we started to finish above the Aussies, that's how they then started showing the table, ie total medals. Crass.

It is crass if they show it in a way that isn't the agreed Olympic standard. It would be crass if we pretended that's how the table was now. The Aussies have a massive chip on their shoulder and don't cope well when we beat them.

For those old enough to remember, back in the 70s and 80s, we were lucky if we got 3 golds at a games!! In 72 we got 4 golds, 76 only 3, Moscow only 5 and the same in LA, Seoul and Barcelona. And then in Atlanta, the lowest of the low, only 1 gold. We've come a long way since then.

I remember.

As for this games, we've had some bad luck.

But my suggestion wasn't based on our lack of golds, it's based on what I think works better. I think it would be good if people had good reason to celebrate their athletes getting silvers and bronzes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looking forwards at the closing but now on to the Paralympics. I love it. People who I truly admire.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I've already started with my sour grapes moaning at the medal table - we are where we deserve to be in the table, because those are the rules and that's the way it went. However, moving forward, I do think it would be good to change to a point system, and the main reason is because currently silver and bronze are worth practically nothing (yes I know the US won in the end with their silvers, but for most nations, the silvers are almost worthless, and the bronzes are completely worthless) - and the problem with that is that a lot of the time people won't even care about their athletes (among the best 2 or 3 in the world) trying to win a medal.'t
Personally, I couldn't give a shite about the overall medals table - my interest is only in the individual events and the efforts and joy of those athletes. The medal table is boring willy waving for egocentric countries like USA, China and the Aussies. Sport is about glory not a fecking table.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But my suggestion wasn't based on our lack of golds, it's based on what I think works better. I think it would be good if people had good reason to celebrate their athletes getting silvers and bronzes.
I think most of us celebrate our athletes getting silvers and bronze. Gold is, and always will be, the pinnacle but that doesn't stop you enjoying the other medals. There's no prize for where you finish in the table other than kudos. Trying to contrive a system to make you finish higher just seems a bit odd. Bit like saying that goals scored mean far more than games won.

My view of our competitors is that if they are the best in the world, I hope they get gold. If not, I hope they achieve a PB at the event as you can't ask for much more.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think most of us celebrate our athletes getting silvers and bronze. Gold is, and always will be, the pinnacle but that doesn't stop you enjoying the other medals. There's no prize for where you finish in the table other than kudos. Trying to contrive a system to make you finish higher just seems a bit odd. Bit like saying that goals scored mean far more than games won.

My view of our competitors is that if they are the best in the world, I hope they get gold. If not, I hope they achieve a PB at the event as you can't ask for much more.
I think the manner of winning silver / bronze plays a huge part. Josh Kerr getting silver and Tom Daley winning silver counts the same, but one is seen as a disappointment and one a triumph.

Gold isn’t like that, a win is a win.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
French bird with no bra leading the singing...game on !

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Thought it was a brilliant Olympic games, right up there with Sydney and London, thoroughly enjoyed it.

As to the medal table, we achieved our goal of between 50-70 medals and whilst 14 golds might be a tad disappointing, on reflection, it was only 2 behind the French and it was their home games and Leon Marchand got 4 of theirs! In comparison we got 29? In London 2012. Out of the 48 Olympic disciplines we medalled in 24 did Clare Balding say? That is fantastic, genuinely inspiring.

Reactions: A1X

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Now its Reservior Dogs meets the Davey Lamp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here