Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic buying at the pumps

1066gull

Oh yeah so I people are not allowed to spend 15 quid on petrol in cannesters for things like strimmers and lawn mowers because there is a minimum spend?

Im not being told what to do thank you very much

Its a dog eat dog world. live with it.

The daft thing is.. it's a 4 day strike. Pretty much all petrol stations carry about 4 days of stock (based on normal sales) in the underground tanks!!

As been said before, this will only affect about 10% of the petrol stations in the country. Also, there has been some recent legislation that allows the companies to share information on stock levels in this sort of situation, so that BP/Texaco etc. can co-ordinate their delivery schedules to ensure that there is an even spread of supply across the country.

If people actually bothered to read behind the headlines, or watch an entire news bulliten instead of just catching the headlines and turning over (wouldn't want to miss Home and Away would we!??!) then they would know this:annoyed:

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Must admit its been v queit up here,no panic stakes that I have seen.We talking media hype about 1 in 10 stations, and a poor load of drivers who think £30k odd plus O/T isnt enough.
Well I'm sorry but go find another job for that money that the Poles etc cant do for less.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
and a poor load of drivers who think £30k odd plus O/T isnt enough.
Well I'm sorry but go find another job for that money that the Poles etc cant do for less.

Nothing wrong with trying to better yourself, The cost of living keeps going up so why should'nt people's wages do something similar?

Nothing wrong with trying to better yourself, The cost of living keeps going up so why should'nt people's wages do something similar?

They aren't trying to better themselves; they are trying to get more money, for the same work, in an industry that is in all probability going to die on its arse in the next 20 years. I understand that people want pay rises to match inflation, but these people have to realise that the haulage industry is under pressure.

What this strike is ultimately about is not that the current wages are insufficient; it is that they have seen the profits that Shell are making and thought 'we'd like a bit of that'. They seemingly have no idea of the way that sub-contracting works; they want Shell to step in and pay them out of their own hand.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh yeah so I people are not allowed to spend 15 quid on petrol in cannesters for things like strimmers and lawn mowers because there is a minimum spend?

Im not being told what to do thank you very much

Its a dog eat dog world. live with it.

Minimum spend of £15 for strimmers and lawnmowers? who on earth was suggesting that?

Minimum spend of £15 for strimmers and lawnmowers? who on earth was suggesting that?

Someone suggested (as a temporary measure) putting a minimum spend on petrol in order to deter those who are going into petrol stations to top up the 5 spare litres in their tank in a panic that there's a 10% chance they may not be able to get petrol over the weekend.

And Adrie, I hardly think introducing this measure for 4 days is going to seriously impinge upon anyones gardening plans. Besides which, if they are gardening, they presumably aren't going anywhere for the weekend, so couldn't they just siphon it from their car? :lolol:

Jan 30, 2008
Imagine what would happen if they said that the water was being switched off for 10 days, how long would it take for the shelfs to be empty

How many greedy bastards would completely fill their trolley without thinking of anyone else?

Its exactly the same with fuel. Some people will fill to the top, even if they work only a few miles away.
Another pathetic panic by some people over nothing, like you said greedy fuckers

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Someone suggested (as a temporary measure) putting a minimum spend on petrol in order to deter those who are going into petrol stations to top up the 5 spare litres in their tank in a panic

Yep that was me! I did mention people with cars. At no point were strimmers mentioned. Hence my question to 1066.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I was speaking to the bloke at Shell today. He said it is going mad for fuel and he will be empty by tommorow. He said some people came in with plastic containers yesterday asking if they could fill these up with fuel along with their fuel. :shootself

You just can't believe it can you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want the nation to panic simply say 'dont panic'

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well I filled my Lorry up earlier toady at a shell petrol station in Redhill because I was nearly empty 140 ltrs ! I asked the guy behind the counter and he said that they had plenty of fuel and that he wouldn't run out and also that he hadn't noticed any panic buying !
That is all

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
panic is a funny, contagious thing... my mrs tells me that on the way home last night she saw the headlines, got worried and thought she'd have to send me out to get petrol... then a minute later realised that we dont need to drive anywhere for the next week so it doesnt matter. I wonder how many people dont pause for thought?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

No that's OK Sten. I think we agree. It was 1066 I was questioning.

I think it's because he's entered his libertarian student phase. He prefers not to properly understand what anyone else is saying and refuse to live 'by the rules', despite the fact that everyones daily lives are dominated by rules of one sort or another, even the unwashed masses of students.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here