Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic buying at the pumps

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
As someone said, if the media didn't mention it there wouldn't be an issue. But it's their way of writing a story to create more stories by reporting the effects.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Ooooh its the seventies all over again, lets have some power cuts and 3 day weeks and strikes and riots. That'll keep me busy! While we're at it lets resume animal exports from shoreham and start building a friggin great road through the downs at Falmer. Re-open the monkey farm at small dole too and increase production at EDO MBM, overtime coming out of me ears..lovely.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Just filled up our Espace - £105.00.

There was a fuel scare a couple of months ago and I had a courtesy car. Collect it with a full tank and return it with a full tank. I had to queue up with all the other old bastards and put seven quids worth of petrol in it before I could take it back. I felt a sudden urge to own a pair of driving gloves and a flat cap.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Ooooh its the seventies all over again, lets have some power cuts and 3 day weeks and strikes and riots. That'll keep me busy! While we're at it lets resume animal exports from shoreham and start building a friggin great road through the downs at Falmer. Re-open the monkey farm at small dole too and increase production at EDO MBM, overtime coming out of me ears..lovely.

miners-strive-orgreave.jpg

miner_mcphee.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As someone said, if the media didn't mention it there wouldn't be an issue. But it's their way of writing a story to create more stories by reporting the effects.

This is just nonsense: if the media hadn't reported the strike and drivers found out that a petrol station had no supplies because of the industrial action, the media would have got blamed for keeping quiet about it.

By any criterion of news worthiness, a four day strike by drivers working for one of the UK's largest companies, delivering supplies of a commodity essential for everyday life, is a valid news story.

I'd agree with you if the media were saying things like "Drivers set to be deprived of petrol" or "Severe fuel shortages ahead" but I've read reports in four different places and not one of them said anything like that: they all reported that the strike was going ahead and that drivers shouldn't panic. The media can't be blamed for people acting like idiots.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Bloody hell CF, you don't want much do you...I am surprised you haven't thrown in a miners strike for good measure...if you got your wish the whole of Sussex would need to join the Police force!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here