Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic buying at the pumps

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Can't understand this crazy mentality. Shell covers just 10% of the service stations in this country. There will only be a 'shortage 'if it becomes a self-ful"filling" (see what i did there) ;) For what it's worth I filled up because I was on the red (sixty one f***ing quid arrgghh) at the United Fuels on the A272 at Bolney this morning and there were no queues or probs. :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's a f***ing joke. Strike only affects 1 in 10 petrol stations. Hardly going to be a shortage. Combination of typical media hype and morons who can't read more than the headline.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have already dusted off my bike and intend to use it for all my journeys around town...did so for the first time last Saturday, it was the first time I had cycled on a road in the UK since about 2000, it was wierd how vulnerable I felt without having the protective shell of my car around me.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I LOVE panic buying, it's just so ridiculous.

Actually panic buying is quite rational when you look at the individual. I'm sure an economist (or Looney) could explain this for us, suffice it to say that the theories around it are excellent arguments against unregulated markets, which is why the usual suspects keep quiet about it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's The Daily Mail middle England herd mentality.

Tell 'em not to panic buy, and they rush out to panic buy.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...surely panic buying is a purely animal instinct, think of the squirrels collecting and burying food to keep them going through the winter, they store up far more than they are likely to need and usually forget where they have buried most of it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's The Daily Mail middle England herd mentality.

Tell 'em not to panic buy, and they rush out to panic buy.

Exactly if this was not on the news last night very few people would know about it. The only people who will benefit are the petrol companies who, all of a suddent will get a big profit bump this month, especially after the reports that petrol consumption has reduced considerable over the last few months

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The media are the blame. For example on the Radio they said "Tanker drivers could go on strike due to pay, there could be a shortage at the pumps which could lead to panic buying"

What they should say is "Shell Tanker drivers could go on strike due to pay, this will only effect Shell garages"

Last edited:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Since the whole process is only triggered off by requests NOT to panic buy, it'd surely be easier just to tell everyone to behave like headless chickens from the start off and use unecessary petrol by rushing to the nearest garage and attempting to squeeze another teaspoonfull of the stuff into their cars.

Given a customary fondness for creating a fiasco at their fuel pumps, I'm willing to bet that the Tesco filling station in Lewes has either shut in readiness of greater demand or that the queues are stretching back to the by-pass.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i believe it is only shell drivers going on strike - which would mean it is only shell stations that will not have any deliveries

the danger is if everyone starts panic buying that all the other stations will begin to run out, and the refineries might struggle to get trucks out to keep up with deamnd

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just filled up in Morrison,s Leek on Monday for a trip to North Wales,walked past today and some little old dear with a Honda civic,was filling up her spare can !! As some one said,just wait till they turn off the water ! :laugh:

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I was working at the Shell garage in HH by the Birch Hotel last time there was panic buying and it was bloody awful, I've never been so busy.
I think people who panic buy are being selfish.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I was working at the Shell garage in HH by the Birch Hotel last time there was panic buying and it was bloody awful, I've never been so busy.
I think people who panic buy are being selfish.

Bet you got alot of offers to fill you up as well:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the Shell tanker drivers take industrial action next week it will coincide with the strike action by the B&H bus drivers in the Unite union (Mondays for the next 6 weeks). I expect people to buy additional fuel on the basis that some of the buses wont be running even though they dont travel on them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive only just seen the headline on the Express "Petrol is bound to run out in strike" wtf? because 10% of petrol stations wont be refilled? no it f***ing wouldnt have, but now the fear mongering is done, it probably will do. dont they have an sence of responsibility? im all for freedon of the press, but just as you cant shout "bomb" in an airport, media shouldnt be allowed to induce panic either. :angry:

as for the government, when will they understand, when they say "Dont Panic" the masses hear "Panic!"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm driving to France on Saturday and I've been and filled up to avoid any hassle on my way to the Eurotunnel. Panic buying? Nah just a bit of forethought to avoid getting f***ed over by even the remotest possibilty of not being able to get petrol on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Hope this is ok with the NSC preachers who are telling people how to react

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here