Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You put £15 in your car?

Either you have a ridiculously small car, you're a biker, or you were panic buying yourself. Why would you fill your car up if it only needed £15 worth otherwise? That would be barely a quarter of a tank in my (medium sized) car.

I would suggest that is because the motoring organisations and experts are forever saying do not fill your car as you get less to the gallon. It is much better to buy it in small amounts and put it in more often, as a car does less to the gallon if the tank is full and the car is carrying unnecessary additional weight.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would suggest that is because the motoring organisations and experts are forever saying do not fill your car as you get less to the gallon much better to buy it in small amounts and put it in more often as a car does less to the gallon if the tank is full and the car is carrying unnecessary additional weight.

I accept there is something in that, but who would put only fifteen quid in to save weight? Seriously, that is not going to be the case on this one. If you were that worried about the cost, you might half fill the tank say. Fifteen quid isn't even going to half fill most people's cars these days.

No, I'm convinced he's either riding a bike, entering a lawnmower-racing competition, or is doing precisely what people should not do, and panic buying. Several WEEKS before there may even be an issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I accept there is something in that, but who would put only fifteen quid in to save weight? Seriously, that is not going to be the case on this one. If you were that worried about the cost, you might half fill the tank say. Fifteen quid isn't even going to half fill most people's cars these days.

No, I'm convinced he's either riding a bike, entering a lawnmower-racing competition, or is doing precisely what people should not do, and panic buying. Several WEEKS before there may even be an issue.

When I hire a car to go to Stockley Park once a blue moon I only stick £20 in it. That's enough to get me there, drive around a bit and come home to Hove. If you're just pottering around for a week £15 will suffice surely? Why are you so surprised?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hiring a car, fine, why give Hertz or whoever free fuel. I just can't see why you'd only stick £15 in your own car. Possibly wasting petrol by having to make more frequent trips to fill it up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hiring a car, fine, why give Hertz or whoever free fuel. I just can't see why you'd only stick £15 in your own car. Possibly wasting petrol by having to make more frequent trips to fill it up.

My point was that you can do a lot of driving for £20. Ditto £15. It does not strike me as odd that someone only sticks £15 in their tank. It they don't drive to work Id say it's sensible.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My point was that you can do a lot of driving for £20. Ditto £15. It does not strike me as odd that someone only sticks £15 in their tank. It they don't drive to work Id say it's sensible.

Perhaps. I don't drive a massive car, but £15 would barely reach the quarter tank mark. Which would rather make me feel like I was wasting my time, unless I was down to my last £15 I suppose. But each to their own. This will of course be the excuse used by the millions who will go and put a tenner in their cars "just in case" the strike goes ahead, thus unnecessarily perpetuating a fuel shortage, and leaving those who actually need to put fuel in to drive around for ages looking for a station with supplies. None of these people will consider themselves to be panic buying, of course, because "It's what I always do" (lie) and tell themselves that it's everyone ELSE who is panic buying.

It happened last time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps. I don't drive a massive car, but £15 would barely reach the quarter tank mark. Which would rather make me feel like I was wasting my time, unless I was down to my last £15 I suppose. But each to their own. This will of course be the excuse used by the millions who will go and put a tenner in their cars "just in case" the strike goes ahead, thus unnecessarily perpetuating a fuel shortage, and leaving those who actually need to put fuel in to drive around for ages looking for a station with supplies. None of these people will consider themselves to be panic buying, of course, because "It's what I always do" (lie) and tell themselves that it's everyone ELSE who is panic buying.

It happened last time.

You appear to be panicking as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I always put £20 of diesel in and then when it gets to the edge of the red before the light comes on put in another £20 unless going on a long journey, like we did for Liverpool when I put £50 in at Asda Brighton, and then the same in Liverpool where it was the same price.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You appear to be panicking as well.

No. If I was panicking, I'd be filling my car up. All I have done is enquire about someone who mentioned he put a few quid in. He may have been jesting anyway.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Train up some polish drivers on the half the wages ans we all get cheaper fuel as as a result simples.

Maybe this is the game plan , why pay the tanker drivers £45k when they can get replacements in at £25k ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No. If I was panicking, I'd be filling my car up. All I have done is enquire about someone who mentioned he put a few quid in. He may have been jesting anyway.

a little bit on edge then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You put £15 in your car?

Either you have a ridiculously small car, you're a biker, or you were panic buying yourself. Why would you fill your car up if it only needed £15 worth otherwise? That would be barely a quarter of a tank in my (medium sized) car.

Erm .... I only ever put in £15 or £20. My tank would take about £80 to fill. I choose to put small amounts in because I only do a little mileage and for budgeting reasons.

PS - he didn't say he FILLED his tank.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

No need to panic Edna , you'll get a priority pass to fill up. :thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I would suggest that is because the motoring organisations and experts are forever saying do not fill your car as you get less to the gallon. It is much better to buy it in small amounts and put it in more often, as a car does less to the gallon if the tank is full and the car is carrying unnecessary additional weight.

You should fill your car and wait until it is below a quarter full before filling up again-especially if your car has a Diesel Particulate Filter that uses the Eolys System (Citroen Peugeot, some Fords, some Vauxhalls and others) which squirts a catalyst into the fuel tank every time the filler cap is removed. Designed to go for 60000+ miles, people who use your method are needing the chemical system refilling at 25000 miles. Well over £200 to refill.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You should fill your car and wait until it is below a quarter full before filling up again-especially if your car has a Diesel Particulate Filter that uses the Eolys System (Citroen Peugeot, some Fords, some Vauxhalls and others) which squirts a catalyst into the fuel tank every time the filler cap is removed. Designed to go for 60000+ miles, people who use your method are needing the chemical system refilling at 25000 miles. Well over £200 to refill.

I have a Skoda Octavia but have never heard of this are you saying I should let the car get nearer empty even possibly nearly waiting until the light comes on.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
True,but my garage is 6 miles away,so it's a 12 mile return,just putting a little in the tank means I have to keep returning to garage....false ecomony...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here