Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's Cup Final

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Couldn't help but notice that the match report in the Standard generated more column inches thanjust about all of Palace's games for the rest of the season, believe me no exaggeration.
Pleased to hear that..... Croydon Advertiser makes a damn good read today as well....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Who gives a toss how many we get in the CC? I wouldn't say we were a small club, not a big club either. You've got more potential but we've our plus points too - ie great youth set-up. You really set yourself up before Tuesday, 'relegation certs', 'rubbish team', 'going to win 5-0'. Now you gotta take it and stop whining.

Anyway back to the point, altogether now - 'A-L-B-I-O-N, smashed 3-1'

Well of course if you consider a 3-1 result a 'smash' you are small time. I would wonder if you'll get a higher than 20000 home gate for any game apart from us, West Ham maybe but that's about all. Still, joking aside at least this season you'll beat Millwall.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pleased to hear that..... Croydon Advertiser makes a damn good read today as well....

Well fortunately I don't pass through Croydon and all the fans around me who aren't Chelsea fans are either Millwall or Charlton, no Palace in Biggin Hill it seems. However the Standard was very excited in a manner I've not seen previously this season. You never know you might even get a mention in the News Shopper this week (Millwall, Charlton and yes Bromley Town get bigger mentions in that rag).

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Well of course if you consider a 3-1 result a 'smash' you are small time. I would wonder if you'll get a higher than 20000 home gate for any game apart from us, West Ham maybe but that's about all. Still, joking aside at least this season you'll beat Millwall.
Man Utd in the Carling Cup semi 1st or 2nd leg should generate 25,000 who you got in round 4? :p

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Well fortunately I don't pass through Croydon and all the fans around me who aren't Chelsea fans are either Millwall or Charlton, no Palace in Biggin Hill it seems. However the Standard was very excited in a manner I've not seen previously this season. You never know you might even get a mention in the News Shopper this week (Millwall, Charlton and yes Bromley Town get bigger mentions in that rag).
Sounds like it's a paper printed for those with a mental age of 10 so not on sale in Croydon !!!

paulie

Jul 27, 2004

Hopefully beat you lot (at least once) and Millwall. And a decent mid-table finish to dispell the relegation cert tags being thrown around on here.

You've been quite reasonable and lucid the last couple of days. Feeling alright?

Serious question - what was the attendance on Tuesday, I've not seen it, and was it a sell out?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Instead of closing down honest discussion amongst fellow Albion fans, it would be a better idea to ban the resident Palace brain cells on this board.

I might be going out on a limb here - but I think they're only here to take the piss.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Man Utd in the Carling Cup semi 1st or 2nd leg should generate 25,000 who you got in round 4? :p

We have made a fortune from the 3 games played this year! Approx 60,000 paid for tickets (at an average of say £25), plus the ridiculous amount of merchandise, beer and pies sold each game. Then you had the Sky money for the Liverpool game and I'm delighted with our Carling Cup season! Compare that with last year when we lost away in the first round to Northampton and we're laughing.

Roll on the FA Cup :smile:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bringing out a special dvd shows how small time they are in comparison. There is no way we'd be doing that.

I hate, hate, this view held on NSC that brining out a DVD is small time. As an exile, I would love us to bring out more DVDs. As good as the highlights on seagulls player are, sometimes they are good, sometimes not, they do not compare to watching a whole match.

I can see how a season ticket holder, or even a regular attender may not want to buy DVDs, but I don't see why people need to make the small time comments - just because you don't want DVDs - don't deprive us.

I got really annoyed last year after the Peterborough and Charlton victories when NSC'ers actually went as far as posting on 'ask the club' requesting that DVDs aren't produced because they are 'small time'. I get to a fair few games, and would like to get to more, but, unfortunately, can't. What is wrong with me buying a DVD of the team I support?

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Hopefully beat you lot (at least once) and Millwall. And a decent mid-table finish to dispell the relegation cert tags being thrown around on here.

You've been quite reasonable and lucid the last couple of days. Feeling alright?

Serious question - what was the attendance on Tuesday, I've not seen it, and was it a sell out?
20,940 ish I think I saw quite a few empty Blue seats in the East Stand, None in the away end mind you we were all standing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All the seats were sold. The official attendance was 20,968 (they are counted in at the turnstiles unlike some clubs who add on the POTG to the ST holders whether or not the season ticket holder turns up for the game.) Shortfall down to some STH's not making it due to distance for a midweek game and parents not taking themselves or children to a game where there was a perceived threat of violence built up over a 2 month period.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
20,9xx ish.

I'm beginning to think the capacity is NOT around 22,380 afterall. Maybe we'll get 22,000 for Southampton or Portsmouth - it would need to be a big away support, a Saturday 3pm kick off, and relatively minor risk of disorder. So actually, just Southampton then.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hopefully beat you lot (at least once) and Millwall. And a decent mid-table finish to dispell the relegation cert tags before thrown around on here.

No wasn't a sell out but you do wonder if some people didn't go because they thought there might be trouble. Actually based on the season so far a mid table finish looks likely for both teams and it's highly debatabloe as to who will finish higher. Our bubble has been well and truly burst and that's maybe no such a bad thing in the short term. Personally given the abuse that has been heeped on Murray on here and at the game I thought his attitude was highly commendable. I have never bought into his 'Judas' title as I feel that as a profssional (or any diciplin) he's entitled to take the best deal on offer.

I think one or two league positions are starting to come to fruition, clearly Forest are crap and Millwall without Morrison ditto. Let's face it there's no really outstanding teams at the moment as any team seems to be able to beat any other team. Take Cardiff (beaten easily by us) then beating Saints. I think that the power teams are West Ham (much as I dislike Big Sam and his big mouth) and yes Southampton. Honestly as yet there are no clear cut heros although Tuesday night's result makes us look like over acheivers.

Yes believe it or not I would love Palace to thump West Pork however given the free flow of banana skins that abounds right now West Ham will probably win and we'll get at least a draw at the slightly overrated Ipswich. I think Southampton will knock several past Watford but I wouldn't want to call any Championship game this weekend.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
A lot of parents won't have come due to the threat of problems queuing for the park and ride (right outside the away end), or problems at the station. We will struggle to get the East full for most midweek games as the transport waiting times mean some people won't make it home till late, which will kids is obviously difficult

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Despite losing hurting like hell the events of tuesday and what has followed has proven to me how far ahead of them we are now.

It was totally their cup final, they know that is as good as it gets for them hence the euphoria, there was none of that when they beat us in the last minute at Withdean. They were the underdog for the first time in 25 years. We are going to reinforce and build year on year, with promotion the sole mid term aim and the infrastructure all in place to support it. They are just desperate to hang on to their kids and not go down.

Bringing out a special dvd shows how small time they are in comparison. There is no way we'd be doing that. They may have beaten us in a one off game because their players basically gave more of a toss, but we are the dominent club in this relationship now. They are looking at our ground and resources with pure envy.

In five years we will laugh at this as they cuddle their commerative dvd still dreaming of turning an artists drawing into a flatpack stadium.

You are deluded beyond belief and the reason why many think Albion fans have become arrogant.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
20,9xx ish.

I'm beginning to think the capacity is NOT around 22,380 afterall. Maybe we'll get 22,000 for Southampton or Portsmouth - it would need to be a big away support, a Saturday 3pm kick off, and relatively minor risk of disorder. So actually, just Southampton then.

a certain proportion of seats cannot be sold and have to held back for safety. and i would be suprised if the publically given crowd figures also include complimentary and sponsors tickets that the club dishes out........................... so whilst there may be 22,500 seats in the ground, not all can be filled or included in the final crowd figure.

Last edited:

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Despite losing hurting like hell the events of tuesday and what has followed has proven to me how far ahead of them we are now.

It was totally their cup final, they know that is as good as it gets for them hence the euphoria, there was none of that when they beat us in the last minute at Withdean. They were the underdog for the first time in 25 years. We are going to reinforce and build year on year, with promotion the sole mid term aim and the infrastructure all in place to support it. They are just desperate to hang on to their kids and not go down.

Bringing out a special dvd shows how small time they are in comparison. There is no way we'd be doing that. They may have beaten us in a one off game because their players basically gave more of a toss, but we are the dominent club in this relationship now. They are looking at our ground and resources with pure envy.

In five years we will laugh at this as they cuddle their commerative dvd still dreaming of turning an artists drawing into a flatpack stadium.

:rolleyes:

Utter tosh. It is a MASSIVE game for both sides and the fact it was an outstanding effort from our boys and a win on the first visit to your new stadium makes it worthy of a DVD release. Accept it, we outsung and outclassed you and the ending, 1-0 down then 3 goals in the last 10, makes it a game that will never be forgotten. You could win at Selhurst in January and it won't even come close to erasing Tuesday.

You then go on about how your future is so much better than ours but the only thing you have over us is a nicer ground and football isn't won off the pitch mate. Give me our academy starlets anyday, as Tuesday proved, in Zaha and Williams we have 2 players with the potential to be world class and when they do finally leave us we can look at receiving huge fees for both that will make the club stronger in the long run.

Sour grapes, 3-1, read it and weep! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here