Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And lets face it, why on earth would any "new" Palace fan have any reason to hate us. We've played them, what, FOUR times in the past fifteen seasons? And one of those we obligingly rolled over and let them slaughter us. We're not even local to them. I'd have to chuckle at any Palace fan under the age of 30 who said they hated Brighton. Why?
I understand the reasoning but can't agree - I expect my 9 month old son to be hating Palace as soon as he is able to and it certainly won't matter when was the last time we played them...

Out of interest, from the experience of other parents, at what age is a child able to hate Palace? I guess there is an early stage where they are simply able to recite the words to chants correctly, and can also identify anyone in a Palace shirt as "Croydon scum" - but they have to be a bit older before they fully understand and can be expected to reel off the results of Brighton v Palace matches...?

My wife has thoughtfully included a few useful chants on our nursery rhymes CD so he is already getting quite good at "P-A-L-A-C-E, Stevie Coppell's Got V.D.", "My Old Man Said Be a Palace Fan", and "The Palace Came In One-by-One"...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But you're not a Palace fan. Palace are our most local rival club, they're miles better than us, and although the two clubs were once rivals in the true sense of the word, they're not any more really. And apart from anything else, there must be 20 clubs closer to their home ground than Withdean Stadium!

Sadly, you now have to look at the facts: we've finished below them for 22 years on the trot, their crowds are treble what we manage (and that's being kind), and they "live" in the top two divisions whereas we don't. Their lowest league crowd in the past five years (probably about 14,000) is nearly twice as high as our biggest league crowd in that time.

So in what way is that a rivalry then? We've got more in common with Leyton Orient!

I hate it, I really do, and I can't wait for things to change. But until then, I'm going to forget about Palace and their sneering fans on here because its easier than getting into a pissing match with them. :down:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I understand the reasoning but can't agree - I expect my 9 month old son to be hating Palace as soon as he is able to and it certainly won't matter when was the last time we played them...

Out of interest, from the experience of other parents, at what age is a child able to hate Palace? I guess there is an early stage where they are simply able to recite the words to chants correctly, and can also identify anyone in a Palace shirt as "Croydon scum" - but they have to be a bit older before they fully understand and can be expected to reel off the results of Brighton v Palace matches...?

My wife has thoughtfully included a few useful chants on our nursery rhymes CD so he is already getting quite good at "P-A-L-A-C-E, Stevie Coppell's Got V.D.", "My Old Man Said Be a Palace Fan", and "The Palace Came In One-by-One"...
The minute they are born I hope, My son is only 10 and he knows the score in my household about Palace and Brighton. I'm know holligan and watch football for the love of it but there is an added buzz when we play you lot. When we are out and about in Crawley my son always points out a Brighton fan to me. "Dad, Dad, there's one of those League 1 Brighton fans look" Out of interest I might even ask him tonight what team it is Palace fans hate. I just hope he turns out to be a respectable football follower.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
But you're not a Palace fan. Palace are our most local rival club, they're miles better than us, and although the two clubs were once rivals in the true sense of the word, they're not any more really. And apart from anything else, there must be 20 clubs closer to their home ground than Withdean Stadium!

Sadly, you now have to look at the facts: we've finished below them for 22 years on the trot, their crowds are treble what we manage (and that's being kind), and they "live" in the top two divisions whereas we don't. Their lowest league crowd in the past five years (probably about 14,000) is nearly twice as high as our biggest league crowd in that time.

So in what way is that a rivalry then? We've got more in common with Leyton Orient!

I hate it, I really do, and I can't wait for things to change. But until then, I'm going to forget about Palace and their sneering fans on here because its easier than getting into a pissing match with them. :down:

Agreed. I play football with one, and he greets my shouts of "Palace scum" with casual indiffference. So I burnt his Junior Eagles boot bag.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Croydon Bloke is over 30, aren't you?

And there are two spelling mistakes in your signature.
It's not, GENIOUS, it's GENIUS.
And it's not Neil Warnock, it's COLIN WANKER.

:thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I can't share that sort of defeatism - you'd have been shot during the war...! The truth is that it is very easy to compete with Palace in a pissing match even from our currently reduced status... obviously they've had a bit more success than Brighton at times over the years but it doesn't really amount to much - and let's not lose sight of the fact that the two clubs HAVE spent large parts of their history rubbing shoulders (witnessed by the number of times we've played each other in the league)... the fact that they only get 16,000 home fans when in the Championship play-offs is also evidence enough of how un-"massive" they are... blimey, if we can't aspire to those sort of crowds when the better times return then we really are in trouble...

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Croydon Bloke is over 30, aren't you?

And there are two spelling mistakes in your signature.
It's not, GENIOUS, it's GENIUS.
And it's not Neil Warnock, it's MR LOVERMAN:lol:
:thumbsup:
Yep 39 next month and well aware of the rivalry thing between Palace and Brighton. Is it more a jealously thing with you these days?????????? I FULLY UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS TOWARDS NEIL!!!!

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I can't share that sort of defeatism - you'd have been shot during the war...! The truth is that it is very easy to compete with Palace in a pissing match even from our currently reduced status... obviously they've had a bit more success than Brighton at times over the years but it doesn't really amount to much - and let's not lose sight of the fact that the two clubs HAVE spent large parts of their history rubbing shoulders (witnessed by the number of times we've played each other in the league)... the fact that they only get 16,000 home fans when in the Championship play-offs is also evidence enough of how un-"massive" they are... blimey, if we can't aspire to those sort of crowds when the better times return then we really are in trouble...
Stoke get less crowds than we do and I am sure most clubs do not charge £30.00 a game either. I think our attendances are there with most clubs in this league. Keep dreaming of 16,000 its your only hope.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think our attendances are there with most clubs in this league.
and around 50% less than all the clubs in the league with similar recent history... impressive

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
and around 50% less than all the clubs in the league with similar recent history... impressive
We have only been in the play off places 1 week. We will get 20,000 + gates if we consolidate our position. Like most clubs glory hunters come back. So explain why you can't fill the withdean with only 7000 or so seats then. Is football being taken over by beach volleyball or fancy inline skating along the promenade.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We have only been in the play off places 1 week. We will get 20,000 + gates if we consolidate our position.
blah blah blah... the better supported clubs get 20,000 almost regardless of league position in the championship - you are admitting your position in a lower echelon of fanbase where, despite latent potential, gates are highly dependent on league position...

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
blah blah blah... the better supported clubs get 20,000 almost regardless of league position in the championship - you are admitting your position in a lower echelon of fanbase where, despite latent potential, gates are highly dependent on league position...

Correct our gates are decent, no more, a hard core of about 14,000 with the rest made up of occasional fans and chancers when we are in the Prem.

Your gates are p*ss poor and getting worse. Get your own house in order rather than have a pop at us. Why only 5,300 on Saturday?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
We have only been in the play off places 1 week. We will get 20,000 + gates if we consolidate our position. Like most clubs glory hunters come back. So explain why you can't fill the withdean with only 7000 or so seats then. Is football being taken over by beach volleyball or fancy inline skating along the promenade.

If Huddersfield brought more than 150 fans and sold there allocation it would have been over or nearer 6000 I guess?

Don't forget you're a division higher and if you'd got relegated this season, i'd be very suprised to see you get many more than 10-12k and that sunshine is in your all covered stadium and not a converted running track.

We had 9000 for Leeds earlier in the season and would have got many more if seating / pay on the gate was allowed. So we're not too many miles apart in support.

We're just a small step away from that once the new Stadium (and fingers crossed) new finances come into play.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Correct our gates are decent, no more, a hard core of about 14,000 with the rest made up of occasional fans and chancers when we are in the Prem.

Your gates are p*ss poor and getting worse. Get your own house in order rather than have a pop at us. Why only 5,300 on Saturday?
I'm only responding to the ridiculous assertion that Palace have such great support relative to Brighton - 14,000 is your current "hard core" while enjoying a historically unusual 30 year stint in the top 2 divisions... What would be your "hard core" at Gillingham? or after 20 years of relative shit and playing in an athletics track...? Try about 5,300 as the correct answer....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Palace took only 650 to us in the league lets not forget, our away support is something we can beat them regularly on

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Its more frustration than anything as most palarse as many other clubs know that we have the potential to more than match these clubs,but we haven't due to lack of ambition and lack of funds and stadia and so on,we have been big rivals for 40+years and played them more than millwall and charlton have.Both clubs in the 70's where simular sizes and we both had 30k+ crowds.Palarse moved onwards and upwards while we rotted away.

Times are changing and we will be on level par again very very soon im sure:drink:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

You pay £25 sit in the pissing rain,player lower league clubs and have no money to spend.

How many would you get?

You can't judge our crowds with our facilities:angry:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Challis-Palace. It's a sign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here