Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace top of the Championship thread

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
I will actually stick my neck out and say well done Palace (so far!). I'll be the first to admit that I had them doomed after those early games at Bristol City and the League Cup at Preston. Things didn't look good. But somehow they have found momentum and have beaten the likes of Cardiff, Bolton, Wolves and Leicester. The stats don't lie - they have beaten four clubs you would expect to be up there pushing for promotion.

However, as those early games prove, football can change very quickly. Look at Reading's poor start last season. Who would've thought they would go on to win the league?!

So yes, I must applaud you Palace for your great start, you have surprised me and I imagine lots of others. But there's a long way to go yet!! ;-)
A fair and well rounded post

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is quite clearly debatable. Only reason people label him as a cheat is that we've had so many penalties this season.
We labeled him as a cheat last season. You don't have to get a lot of pens, just dive a few times and you get labeled a cheat.
Anyway i would be slightly worried with the standards of the referees if they couldn't spot a dive out of the 15 wouldn't you? You'd think if he was a cheat then he would have been booked, but i can't remember a game this season where he has been booked for it.
I think he has. Can someone confirm?

And the majority of people on this thread, including you, are making out that he dives every game!
Not at all. You don't have to dive every game to be a cheat.
Prehaps you could point out to me which incident is a dive?
vs us last year is an easy one to start with.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
We labeled him as a cheat last season. You don't have to get a lot of pens, just dive a few times and you get labeled a cheat.
I think he has. Can someone confirm?

Not at all. You don't have to dive every game to be a cheat.
vs us last year is an easy one to start with.

If you're declaring the pen against you as coming from a dive then you have to say Buckley's was as well.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Having only just joined today i can see this is going to be fun!

IMO i don't see how people can call zaha a cheat. He's just got bags of skills, and defenders have no clue what to do. I'm not saying every single one of them was a penalty, i suspect a few were dives, but unfortunately that's football these days, even if i and others don't like it. I'm sure one or two brighton players have dived as well so......

And as for getting carried away, i am afraid most fans are. But i'm keeping my feet on the ground as i know a few games can completely change things. I personally think that you'll still finish above us (pains me to say it) and that you might sneak a win against us on the 1st. However i have been known to be a pessimist so who knows.....

Is there an imaginary pair of trousers you have your tongue down? You don't watch us regularly, if you did you wouldn't have said what you have. I've seen patches this season where we have played teams completely off the park it's been embarrassing. Btw, sycophants get spotted in an instant on here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you're declaring the pen against you as coming from a dive then you have to say Buckley's was as well.
You sound like a ref trying to balance things out. Buckley went down easily enough, but his ankle was hit. Zaha was not touched at all.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Actually, we're even better off the pitch. Just ask Ian Holloway, he has more staff here than at all his other clubs out together, and he has a fantastic relationship with the board already. The attendances are increasing too. Not far off 16000 on a Tuesday night is about 3000 over average, and actually more than we got on a few Saturdays last season. Winning games attracts more supporters, and we're 12 unbeaten with 9 wins and 3 draws.

"We win every week, we win every week, we're f***ing boring, we win every week"

This is a magical time to be a Palace fan.

16,000? Wow, you must give us some tips for getting fans through the gates.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
You have to give Palace great credit so it's a big well done from me. However the pressure is now on them & everyone else will want to knock them off top spot so can they handle it? They will also be overwhelming favourites to thrash us in a few weeks, so no pressure at all on us!!

rubin

Oct 24, 2011
Here we go, top of the league and you're giving it all that.

Speroni best keeper ? I can name 4/5 he's not better than.

Jedinak best defensive midfielder? :lolol:

I can't wait to rub it in again when you're below us :D

Absolutely effing clueless.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
The main reason we were given a lot of penalties for our title winning side in League 1 - Glenn Murray and that split second hesitancy with the left foot pulled back to make it look like contact has been made when it hasn't.

I wouldn't say Murray does his best to stay on his feet but he certainly hasn't dived for us. Even against Sheff Wed when we had a penalty awarded to us he put his hands up saying it wasn't a pen and despite it being a farcical moment, the ref rescinded it.

The only thing that's amazing about our amount of penalties is the sheer stupidity of defenders lunging in, we're explosive going forward at present but we're not THAT good.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely effing clueless.

Lets look at the keepers in the league:

Brighton Kuszczak (Brezovan, Ankergren)
Palace Speroni (Price)
Middlesbrough Steele (Ripley, Leutwiler)
Cardiff Marshall (Lewis)
Hull Amos (Jakupvic)
Leicester Schmeichel (Logan)
Blackburn Robinson (Kean, Usai, Sandomeirski)
Huddersfield Smithies (Allinson, Bennett, Colgan)
Derby Legzdins (Fielding, Deeney)
Burnley Grant (Jensen)
Forest Camp (Darlow, Evtimov)
Blackpool Gilks (Kettings)
Wolves Ikeme (Cotman, De Vries, Hennessey, McCarey)
Millwall Forde (Taylor)
Leeds Kenny (Ashdown, Cairns, Rachubka)
Watford Almunia (Bond, Bonham)
Bolton Bogdan (Lainton, Lonergan, Lynch)
Birmingham Butland (Doyle, Lucas)
Charlton Hamer (Sullivan, Button, Pope)
Wednesday Kirkland (Bywater, Jameson, Weaver)
Barnsley Steele (Alnwick, Lidakevicius, Gonzalez)
Peterborough Olejnik (Day, Richardson)
Bristol City Gerken (Heaton, Carey)
Ipswich Henderson (Lee-Barrett, Loach)

From that list, I'd say the following were top goalkeepers in this division (in no particular order)
Kuszczak - Champions League experience with top premier league club, pedigree of man utd, international experience.
Schmeichel - Pedigree of Man City, International experience
Robinson - International keeper, league cup winner
Kenny - International experience
Almunia - Champions League experience with top premier league club, Arsenal Pedigree, FA cup winner
Bogdan - International keeper
Butland - Olympic first choice, england international,
Kirkland - Liverpool pedigree, plenty of premier league experience, England international

Speroni - Europe experience with Dundee. Runners up in the scottish cup.

I know as brighton fans we will have bias, and as a palace fan you will have a bias, but if you could put it aside, would it really be clueless to say that four or five of those goalkeepers are better than Speroni? No, of course not.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Kuszczak was that good why did he have to drop down into the championship ?
Speroni has played well for many years in the league

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

By that logic, Speroni and Zaha and all your players are shit, otherwise what are they doing at a side that has been mostly at the shit end of the Championship? Kuszczak wanted first team football, saw the quality we were bringing in and wanted to be a part of it.

Yes Speroni has, but even a number of your fans have admitted he looks like waning, he's had a couple of shocking performances this season already. Kuzszcak meanwhile has been quality for years at higher levels than this (like the Champions League).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Speroni has played well for many years in the league

He was on an emergency loan at Watford last season. We picked him up on a free as his contract had ended. To stop him joining another Premier League or European club while he was with Manchester United they slapped a £5M minimum price tag on him. When he signed for us , Kuszczak revealed that he turned down numerous other clubs to sign for the Seagulls and stated "I spent eight years in the Premier League and that is where I want to be again. I believe I can get there with Brighton because this club is heading in only one direction, and I want to play my part in helping us get there."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know as brighton fans we will have bias, and as a palace fan you will have a bias, but if you could put it aside, would it really be clueless to say that four or five of those goalkeepers are better than Speroni? No, of course not.
And OSRGull didn't even say that 4/5 were better, he only said 'I can name 4/5 he's not better than.'

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
He was on an emergency loan at Watford last season. We picked him up on a free as his contract had ended. To stop him joining another Premier League or European club while he was with Manchester United they slapped a £5M minimum price tag on him. When he signed for us , Kuszczak revealed that he turned down numerous other clubs to sign for the Seagulls and stated "I spent eight years in the Premier League and that is where I want to be again. I believe I can get there with Brighton because this club is heading in only one direction, and I want to play my part in helping us get there."

yeah of course he did, you were there when he signed were you??

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
[/B]

yeah of course he did, you were there when he signed were you??

No I wasn't there , but that was the quote from the club's official website which appeared on 19th June 2012 :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here