Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace top of the Championship thread

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He be taking Brighton to court for fraud next season lol
To be fair I don't watch him week in and out but he hardly got a kick for united

32 games. How many times has Speroni played for a top four premier league club? How many international games has speroni played in?

This is getting sidetracked with petty rivalries. What about the other 7 goalkeepers on that list (and some of the other goalkeepers may deserve to be on the list, I'm not as familiar with the others Steele? Camp? other have been playing for teams that have been consistent in the Championship, moreso than palace? A neutral can easily find 4 or 5 that Speroni "is not better than".

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
By that logic, Speroni and Zaha and all your players are shit, otherwise what are they doing at a side that has been mostly at the shit end of the Championship? Kuszczak wanted first team football, saw the quality we were bringing in and wanted to be a part of it.

Yes Speroni has, but even a number of your fans have admitted he looks like waning, he's had a couple of shocking performances this season already. Kuzszcak meanwhile has been quality for years at higher levels than this (like the Champions League).

Speroni doesn't claim crosses well, but he is the best shot-stopper in the league. Why is he in the Championship? Because he loves playing for Palace and has turned down every offer from Premiership clubs (Fulham most recently for £2m)

We've got the best keeper, the best player in Zaha, the best defensive midfielder, one of the best managers, a top top striker, some great fullbacks and a superb winger in Bolasie on the opposite flank go Wilf.

That's why we're the best team in the league.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Speroni doesn't claim crosses well, but he is the best shot-stopper in the league. Why is he in the Championship? Because he loves playing for Palace and has turned down every offer from Premiership clubs (Fulham most recently for £2m)

We've got the best keeper, the best player in Zaha, the best defensive midfielder, one of the best managers, a top top striker, some great fullbacks and a superb winger in Bolasie on the opposite flank go Wilf.

To be fair to Palace fans they were saying this when they were bottom!

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
No I wasn't there , but that was the quote from the club's official website which appeared on 19th June 2012 :facepalm:

and translated that goes something like; I signed for Brighton because they were willing to pay me more money than anyone else in this league.
Dont be under the illusion that its about anything other than money these days, we thought Freedman was Palace through and through, and look what happened, someone offers more money and away they go, happens all the time in football these days...Sinclair, played every week for Swansea, along comes City with more money and off he goes (to sit on the bench}
He said what was he was expected or instructed to say as they all do. thats life !!

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea

I am sorry but a team sitting top of the championship should not be letting in 21 goals - some of that responsibility must come down on the keeper. He has let in 12 goals at home - which is the worst for a keeper until you get down to about 19th in the league. I should imagine that Holloway will be looking to rectify this in the Jan transfer market.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dont be under the illusion that its about anything other than money these days, we thought Freedman was Palace through and through, and look what happened, someone offers more money and away they go, happens all the time in football these days.
Can we use this quote when Winifred leaves your tinpot club ???

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
Lets look at the keepers in the league:

Brighton Kuszczak (Brezovan, Ankergren)
Palace Speroni (Price)
Middlesbrough Steele (Ripley, Leutwiler)
Cardiff Marshall (Lewis)
Hull Amos (Jakupvic)
Leicester Schmeichel (Logan)
Blackburn Robinson (Kean, Usai, Sandomeirski)
Huddersfield Smithies (Allinson, Bennett, Colgan)
Derby Legzdins (Fielding, Deeney)
Burnley Grant (Jensen)
Forest Camp (Darlow, Evtimov)
Blackpool Gilks (Kettings)
Wolves Ikeme (Cotman, De Vries, Hennessey, McCarey)
Millwall Forde (Taylor)
Leeds Kenny (Ashdown, Cairns, Rachubka)
Watford Almunia (Bond, Bonham)
Bolton Bogdan (Lainton, Lonergan, Lynch)
Birmingham Butland (Doyle, Lucas)
Charlton Hamer (Sullivan, Button, Pope)
Wednesday Kirkland (Bywater, Jameson, Weaver)
Barnsley Steele (Alnwick, Lidakevicius, Gonzalez)
Peterborough Olejnik (Day, Richardson)
Bristol City Gerken (Heaton, Carey)
Ipswich Henderson (Lee-Barrett, Loach)

From that list, I'd say the following were top goalkeepers in this division (in no particular order)
Kuszczak - Champions League experience with top premier league club, pedigree of man utd, international experience.
Schmeichel - Pedigree of Man City, International experience
Robinson - International keeper, league cup winner
Kenny - International experience
Almunia - Champions League experience with top premier league club, Arsenal Pedigree, FA cup winner
Bogdan - International keeper
Butland - Olympic first choice, england international,
Kirkland - Liverpool pedigree, plenty of premier league experience, England international

Speroni - Europe experience with Dundee. Runners up in the scottish cup.

I know as brighton fans we will have bias, and as a palace fan you will have a bias, but if you could put it aside, would it really be clueless to say that four or five of those goalkeepers are better than Speroni? No, of course not.

Kenny? You cant be serious.
Schmeichel? ditto
Kirkland? you really have lost the plot

Ok maybe you think that there are better keepers( in your opinion) but there are NONE that ANY Palace fan would swap for Speroni,

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
I am sorry but a team sitting top of the championship should not be letting in 21 goals - some of that responsibility must come down on the keeper. He has let in 12 goals at home - which is the worst for a keeper until you get down to about 19th in the league. I should imagine that Holloway will be looking to rectify this in the Jan transfer market.
probably come and buy the pole in the goal, maybe you will give him away like you did Murray..thanks for that

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
use what you like pal, tinpot? top of league well above you...that will do for us, roll on DEC 1st...
You know its about the cash, if someone offered cms a few quid more he would be off like a shot as would any player

CMS nearly went to Leeds pre-season , in a player swap plus cash deal (Ross McCormack - remember him ?) but Bates wouldn't give Warnock the necessary funds.

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
CMS nearly went to Leeds pre-season , in a player swap plus cash deal (Ross McCormack - remember him ?) but Bates wouldn't give Warnock the necessary funds.
so i am right then, he would have gone??? for more money??? like ALL players, he would have left BHA to go to a better club for more money??

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Kenny? You cant be serious.
Schmeichel? ditto
Kirkland? you really have lost the plot

Ok maybe you think that there are better keepers( in your opinion) but there are NONE that ANY Palace fan would swap for Speroni,

Jesus wept :facepalm:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wouldn't swap Kuczszak for Speroni. Palace wouldn't swap Speroni for Kuczszak. They are happy, we are happy.

Its a good news story.

:)

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I wouldn't swap Kuczszak for Speroni. Palace wouldn't swap Speroni for Kuczszak. They are happy, we are happy.

Its a good news story.

:)

The only reason I wouldn't swap Speroni for Kuczszak is because one of them is on near enough 20k a week which is insanity for The Championship.

Speroni isn't the best in the league (not anymore anyway) but he's a damn sight better than the majority of keepers and has been great value for money.

Constant arguing over who is better hardly matters, having a good goalkeeper is only a small part of the jigsaw.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Obviously I greatly prefer being top of the league to how last season went, but I have to admit I do miss watching the Football League Show and carefully watching the Brighton highlights to see which hilariously shit keeper gifted the opposition a goal that week. The amount of defensive fuckups was absolutely fantastic, be it against Liverpool, West Ham or Peterborough.

Then I look at the league table and realise we're top, remember we've got Ian Holloway and Wilfried Zaha and then I'm happy again :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The only reason I wouldn't swap Speroni for Kuczszak is because one of them is on near enough 20k a week which is insanity for The Championship.

Speroni isn't the best in the league (not anymore anyway) but he's a damn sight better than the majority of keepers and has been great value for money.

Constant arguing over who is better hardly matters, having a good goalkeeper is only a small part of the jigsaw.
Who is arguing? I'm saying lets be happy with what we've got, which we both are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here