Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace ---- Realistic expectation for 2012/2013

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
the fact that we beat pompy 5-1 without our strongest team suggest that we should easily be staying up if not going up.

To be fair though, Pompey didn't exactly field a team of world beaters and my nan probably could have scored against them!

As for the Nigels, I hope they go down or at least just survive by the skin of their teeth. But I wish their demise every season, maybe this is the one where it all comes together! :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I predict a shit season for them much worsened by how well we will be doing in comparison. I hope they also feel the pain of being beaten twice by us.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I see the sense in Palace pinning their hopes on relegation. They're playing to FFS Murray's strengths as he's a top League 1 marksman.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Just seen they've given Paddy McCarthy a new 3 year deal. That's a pretty serious waste of money there. He may be a 'life on the line' type defender, but he's still basically a carthorse and to give him a 3 year deal at his age is mental.

They've now agreed a fee with Saints for Clyne so perhaps they will be opening the cheque book on some new signings

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
are you suggesting that palace go into the prem?

Not sure what you are reading but I'm suggesting that if people think of results against Palace as the be all and end all of our season then we are going nowhere - rather like Palace.

Our "main rivals" should be the top teams if we are gong to move forward.

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
Just seen they've given Paddy McCarthy a new 3 year deal. That's a pretty serious waste of money there. He may be a 'life on the line' type defender, but he's still basically a carthorse and to give him a 3 year deal at his age is mental.

They've now agreed a fee with Saints for Clyne so perhaps they will be opening the cheque book on some new signings

As opposed to El Abd who is absolutely brilliant right?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
As opposed to El Abd who is absolutely brilliant right?

Actually yes, yes he is.

Most Palace fans I know accept that McCarthy's footballing skills are rather limited, and he's somewhat of a liability. However good a captain he is, he is a carthorse of a defender. A 3 year deal is absolutely bonkers.

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
I will bookmark this comment too ,Some of your supporters have turned to arrogant turds who think this Will be your year.
Prepare for disappointment because You (BHA)are not good enough and we are even further behind .You lot may call it tinpot but most Palace fans would be happy with 10 th place.
We know our place at the table.Do you?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I will bookmark this comment too ,Some of your supporters have turned to arrogant turds who think this Will be your year.
Prepare for disappointment because You (BHA)are not good enough and we are even further behind .You lot may call it tinpot but most Palace fans would be happy with 10 th place.

Most people on the Brighton version of this thread are saying in or around the playoffs, similar to last year, even though we have improved our defence dramatically and have hopes of sorting the problem central midfield position too. If we'd have accepted 'our place at the table', we wouldn't have made 3 appearances in the Championship whilst playing at Withdean. Some clubs may just accept dull, run of the mill, midtable seasons with excuse after excuse (injuries, cup runs for e.g.), others have dreams of going further.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

Nothing wrong with knowing your place but accepting it is another matter. If your players take that attitude I'm pleased to say you'll only be heading in one direction....do you fancy Crawley as your big rivals?

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
Most people on the Brighton version of this thread are saying in or around the playoffs, similar to last year, even though we have improved our defence dramatically and have hopes of sorting the problem central midfield position too. If we'd have accepted 'our place at the table', we wouldn't have made 3 appearances in the Championship whilst playing at Withdean. Some clubs may just accept dull, run of the mill, midtable seasons with excuse after excuse (injuries, cup runs for e.g.), others have dreams of going further.

I think you are stronger and probably are better equipped for a go at the Playoffs this year,but beware of 2nd season syndrome a bad start and anything can happen Vicente falls out of love a big player out for the season etc.Who knows?
You also were out of your depth financially when you got promoted at the Withdean and couldn't hang on ,due to finances I know.
It's nothing to do with accepting our place at the table,it's just most of us involved at Palace are shit scared of getting back in a mess financially.We have not recovered yet but are slowly building and it may take 10 years to get promoted again I'm happier now the club is being run properly if that means Championship football then so be it.
Let's just wait and see as 10 th will mean improvement and if we keep doing that and not overspending and by introducing youngsters that's all we can ask at the moment.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think you are stronger and probably are better equipped for a go at the Playoffs this year,but beware of 2nd season syndrome a bad start and anything can happen Vicente falls out of love a big player out for the season etc.Who knows?
You also were out of your depth financially when you got promoted at the Withdean and couldn't hang on ,due to finances I know.
It's nothing to do with accepting our place at the table,it's just most of us involved at Palace are shit scared of getting back in a mess financially.We have not recovered yet but are slowly building and it may take 10 years to get promoted again I'm happier now the club is being run properly if that means Championship football then so be it.
Let's just wait and see as 10 th will mean improvement and if we keep doing that and not overspending and by introducing youngsters that's all we can ask at the moment.

You were the one that bought up knowing your place at the table. Just saying that we had no right to compete and even stay up in the Championship while we were at Withdean. But the rest of your post is pretty much what I said earlier in this thread. You're balancing the books and survival must be the main target at the moment. But with a few new signings that may change to something a bit more optimistic.

We're bringing in a lot more cash from ticket sales etc than you, so we can afford to splash out a bit more. Although we haven't spent a penny in transfer fees yet this summer, so are also sticking to a budget. We certainly haven't got worse as a team over the summer, or lost any key players so it's right that most people see us challenging for the playoffs again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here