Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Game - Postponed [was on/off?]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some suggestions floating about that the club have asked for the game to be moved.

Friday or Sunday? Both likely shit with fallout from the strike on Saturday, if the supposed move is sanctioned by the Premier League.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Some suggestions floating about that the club have asked for the game to be moved.

Friday or Sunday? Both likely shit with fallout from the strike on Saturday, if the supposed move is sanctioned by the Premier League.

Would parking become available either of those days I wonder?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Surely police will want it moved. This would allow the PL to move a game at late notice without it setting too much of a precedent

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Monday evening maybe. Or is that not possible because of the international break?

I was going to start another thread about the transport yesterday, but might as well post on here....

One hour after the game finished yesterday, the queue for Mill Road P&R was still back to the the 'T junction behind the South Stand.

That's with both a train service and both the Uni Car Park / Bridge Car Parks being available none of which will be available for Palace.

Even with an additional P&R (Pyecombe) I can't see how transport will work?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Monday evening maybe. Or is that not possible because of the international break?

I was going to start another thread about the transport yesterday, but might as well post on here....

One hour after the game finished yesterday, the queue for Mill Road P&R was still back to the the 'T junction behind the South Stand.

That's with both a train service and both the Uni Car Park / Bridge Car Parks being available none of which will be available for Palace.

Even with an additional P&R (Pyecombe) I can't see how transport will work?

I didn’t think there was any parking at The Bridge or the University yesterday.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I didn’t think there was any parking at The Bridge or the University yesterday.

There was no parking at the Uni yesterday, but there was some at the Bridge but I don't think it went on 'general sale' as people who use it every week got priority. There was definitely a lot less parking available. The Palace game will be exactly the same in terms of parking, unless it's rearranged to a day when the Uni isn't busy.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Would parking become available either of those days I wonder?

The reason for the parking being wiped out that weekend is University arrivals which runs from Thursday through to Sunday so would guess that a move to Friday or Sunday would not change the parking situation just the train issue

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
For that game all parking WAS available, and ALL Brentford fans came by Coach - would the same apply for Palace?

straight to the ground then eh....

either that or a heavy police presence at the A23/A27 roundabout, but what can they do ? they can't stop van and car loads of Palace continue into town can they ?

This possibly has carnage written all over it, don't ya think.
Palace will see this an open invitation to accuse us and the police of heavy handed behaviour and a reason why they can run riot.
scuffles breaking out all over town at the park and rides etc.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
straight to the ground then eh....

either that or a heavy police presence at the A23/A27 roundabout, but what can they do ? they can't stop van and car loads of Palace continue into town can they ?

This possibly has carnage written all over it, don't ya think.
Palace will see this an open invitation to accuse us and the police of heavy handed behaviour and a reason why they can run riot.
scuffles breaking out all over town at the park and rides etc.

If I was policing the game I would want the Palace fan arriving by coaches and train. I would know many will prefer train and use it and in that way the police can control the movement of fans arriving leaving including the smellhurst/croydex train shuttle special after the match. As it was the last match I recall fights breaking out on the platform as soon as the train arrived in Brighton. That is easier to police as the police will expect trouble at flashpoints but try and kettle fans spread all over the city would be carnage as you say a recipe for disaster. Trains are never great on a Sunday so surely 8pm Friday evening is the best we can do for this fixture. Im keen we go ahead rescheduled over the weekend rather than put this off later in the season as they way we are playing at the moment we could get our best ever result against this lot.

What has particularly surprised me is the club have made no announcement that they are looking into this.

As far as if trains are off and fans reliant on parking then whats to stop fans arriving North Brighton say Patcham Waterhall etc and making their own way from there? That must be outside the residents captive area - does anyone know have a map of what that area is its clearly not the whole of the City so Palace fans could even say drive to Portslade/Hove border and get busses from there or to the Marina car pk? in other words they are spread out and far more difficult to police. Of course not all will be trouble but remember there will also be plenty of locals wanting to take a pop at them and the police know that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If I was policing the game I would want the Palace fan arriving by coaches and train. I would know many will prefer train and use it and in that way the police can control the movement of fans arriving leaving including the smellhurst/croydex train shuttle special after the match. As it was the last match I recall fights breaking out on the platform as soon as the train arrived in Brighton. That is easier to police as the police will expect trouble at flashpoints but try and kettle fans spread all over the city would be carnage as you say a recipe for disaster. Trains are never great on a Sunday so surely 8pm Friday evening is the best we can do for this fixture. Im keen we go ahead rescheduled over the weekend rather than put this off later in the season as they way we are playing at the moment we could get our best ever result against this lot.

What has particularly surprised me is the club have made no announcement that they are looking into this.

Well seeing as PB (invariably, admirably) answers emails sent to him within the hour, wouldn't take much effort to get an update direct from the horse's mouth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here