Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace Boss - Murray HASN'T signed..........(at least yet)

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Would completly cream my whole house if this turned into another Calderon saga, but my heart tells me lighting never strikes twice.......but yet I've still got hope.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
My GUESS is that he has signed but they are bringing it out step by step for Murrays sake.
So first they said he's not signing for us and now they will say its between them and millwall and then eventually they will say he's signed for p***** just so it doesn't look as bad as going strait there!

Last edited:

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Glenn Murreys future now lies away from Brighton, after the striker rejected the clubs final contract offer.

The above is the clubs wording, not mine!

The exact same stuff was said about Calderon though was it not? I remember Poyet saying in an interview that Calderon was defiently gone and it was a big shame.
I'm not getting carried away but just say Murray did have a change of heart, I'm sure Poyet would have him back. Very very optimistic though.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
The exact same stuff was said about Calderon though was it not? I remember Poyet saying in an interview that Calderon was defiently gone and it was a big shame.
I'm not getting carried away but just say Murray did have a change of heart, I'm sure Poyet would have him back. Very very optimistic though.

Lightning to strike twice? Nah.

Poyet said: "I want to thank Calde because he helped us a lot.

"Unfortunately I'm very disappointed because he has chosen to wait for an offer from Southampton and not to sign for us with everything agreed.

"The disappointment is big. Everything was agreed.

"It was only the contract to sign but he decided to wait for a possible offer from another club in this division.

"The club is Southampton, who we cannot compete with.

"We clarified a few weeks ago that if somebody thinks we are the Chelsea or Manchester City in the division, we are not. That is Southampton.

"If they are going to buy the players and pay more than the rest there is nothing we can do about it.

"We have withdrawn the offer.

"We don't accept players agreeing contracts and not signing.

"We are a proper club and he had until midnight yesterday but the offer is gone and he is not going to be our player.

"I can promise you that."

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Forget about Murray, he's gone. I have the feeling that for whatever reason he wanted away and I'm not so sure that it was just about money. Anyway, what's interesting is Palace's 'other option', former loanee James Vaughan. They wanted to sign him but Freedman says they can't afford the fee. Seems like a player that is too much like Hoskins to be of any interest to us though, especially as Everton want a million for him. Still it is beginning to look like Palace, like their neighbours Charlton, have not got as much money as their fans think.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
My hunch is that he will sign for Southampton, perhaps Milwall not Palace. The Liebherr family, the money behind Southampton are worth £30 BILLION!! We will never be able to compete with that. John Berylson of Milwall is reputed to be worth over £100m too so they have the money to offer him. Just can't see Palace being able to compete.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
My hunch is that he will sign for Southampton, perhaps Milwall not Palace. The Liebherr family, the money behind Southampton are worth £30 BILLION!! We will never be able to compete with that. John Berylson of Milwall is reputed to be worth over £100m too so they have the money to offer him. Just can't see Palace being able to compete.

Liebherrs dead and his family don't want the money going to the club.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I have a sneaking feeling he's going to Southampton too. For all the criticism he's had in one form or another since being with us he does seem to be an intelligent and sensitive bloke. I think he really does care what we think of him (his statement was clear in putting the Brighton fans above anyone else in his gratitude), and for that reason is finding it very difficult to put pen to paper for Palace. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up plumping for Saints if they've come in for him.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
But when he does, the CPFC financing (including the very large signing-on fee, a free transferree of his stature would demand),

would be based on a clever business model for football clubs styled by Peter Risdale.

Well done to Gus & Tony for sticking to your well thought-out short, medium & long-term plans.

And welcome to the smiling Hoskins! He will be the first of many this Summer.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
One wonders with Murray if he knew the writing was on the wall about his contract at Xmas. He must have known Poyet wanted Hoskins last summer and Poyet has never looked worried about Murray, so did he jump before he was pushed because maybe Poyet wants to play a different syle of attack next season and Murray would not be No.1 in the order of strikers.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
One wonders with Murray if he knew the writing was on the wall about his contract at Xmas. He must have known Poyet wanted Hoskins last summer and Poyet has never looked worried about Murray, so did he jump before he was pushed because maybe Poyet wants to play a different syle of attack next season and Murray would not be No.1 in the order of strikers.

This whole 'Poyet didn't rate him etc' thing is clearly bollocks though isn't it? He was offered a substantial pay rise which would have made him comfortably the highest earner at Brighton (for now anyway). That's not something you offer someone you're trying to ease out. The likely scenario is the most obvious one as always I reckon (sorry conspiracy theorists, they may be fun but they're always fantasy); we weren't willing to break our agreed wage structure for anyone and Murray wanted more. He might not have been Gus' favourite player but that doesn't mean he didn't rate him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I think you could well be right. It looks to me as though the offer we made Murray was little more than a token gesture. I honestly think it wasn't a case of not being able to afford him but rather the fact that the club were not prepared to pay what he wanted as they felt they could spend money better elsewhere. We all knew that Hoskins was likely to come here but the fact that it was announced the day that Murray leaves makes it look all the more like the plan in the first place.

However apart from any other position we still need a decent striker, expect somebody on a free in.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Lightning to strike twice? Nah.

Poyet said: "I want to thank Calde because he helped us a lot.

"Unfortunately I'm very disappointed because he has chosen to wait for an offer from Southampton and not to sign for us with everything agreed.

"The disappointment is big. Everything was agreed.

"It was only the contract to sign but he decided to wait for a possible offer from another club in this division.

"The club is Southampton, who we cannot keep up with.

"We clarified a few weeks ago that if somebody thinks we are the Chelsea or Manchester City in the division, we are not. That is Southampton.

"If they are going to buy the players and pay more than the rest there is nothing we can do about it.

"We have withdrawn the offer.

"We don't accept players agreeing contracts and not signing.

"We are a proper club and he had until midnight yesterday but the offer is gone and he is not going to be our player.

"I can promise you that."

Hoskins is more clinical than Murray; how many times did Gus bang on about finishing last year. Signing Hoskins is bad news for Murray's agent as palarse can now lower their offer and can't be played off against us

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I reckon Murray will sign for Millwall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here