Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace banter at Victoria

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
I don't understand the reaction to Crawley; geographically they are our nearest rivals. To those saying they don't consider them rivals, consider that for many years in the past they were closer to us in terms of league standings than Palace. Portsmouth and Southampton because of the south coast connection make more sense than a London club - of all the London clubs we have played in recent years, we've had better, more fiery games against Leyton Orient than we have Palace.

Most of the people who stand up to the ridiculous "Stand up if you hate Palace" chants probably don't even know WHY they hate Palace as they weren't at the classic games in the 1970's - the majority weren't who attend Albion games nowadays. Times change and so do rivalries - I don't think anyone really cares about Brighton/Palace. When we were struggling at the bottom of division 3, they weren't all chanting "Stand up if you hate Brighton" at their games - they were playing Premiership football and didn't care about us. It's all a bit sad, really.
soory mate you are talking a load of bollox....how many brighton v palace games you been to??? the rivalry will never die there i'm afraid, firey games against leyton orient!!!! lmfao have you ever seen running battles with orient? no, didn't think so.. but with palace its not nice to see, or get caught up in, its scarey...horrible and not very nice to see. and for you to say they don't sing about us is crap to!!!....my mate (cringe i know) is a regular at selhurst and he told me songs are regularly sang about the albion there.

Last edited:

Case's Gull

Aug 7, 2011
Brighton
Normal service will be resumed this season, Albion v Palace, West Ham v Millwall, Pompey v Saints. Fans are very good at finding surrogate rivals when they are denied their true derby games; on Sep 27 we will see that Palarse haven't forgotten either, and anyone who hasn't experienced a game against 'em before will soon cotton on to what it's all about. Crawley will never be able to compete with that.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Before the Palace appeared in the 70's, I seem to remember we had abit of a dislike for Reading and then Bournemouth. But the Palase thing has grown and grown mainly due to some big moments, Alison, the FA Cup, Gerry Ryan.

Double post.

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
Wrong on all three counts. Palace always have, and always will be our main rivals. Yes, Pompey are a close second, but up until last season Saints haven't really registered with me since '78, and Crawley are pretty much insignificant to us right now.

:thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Anyone who was present at Selhurst Park when Houghton destroyed Gerry Ryan's leg and his career and witnessed the palarse fans response would never describe our utter hatred of them as irrational - the rivalry will live as long as that memory

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Anyone who was present at Selhurst Park when Houghton destroyed Gerry Ryan's leg and his career and witnessed the palarse fans response would never describe our utter hatred of them as irrational - the rivalry will live as long as that memory
I was at that game and got really irate at that challenge...but to be honest I don't hate Palace...rivals and banter yes and I rejoice when they lose,but like most clubs...ours included...there are the moronic elements. On Fans United day some of their fans came down to support us,they support the REMF as well. Probably Charlton and Millwall have more ill feeling towards them...but...I do like to give them banter and would'nt want them to disappear off our radar...as you need friends you need opponents....C'mon you Seagulls!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well lets put it this way, my mate at work said that one of his mates are arranging a special welcome for Brighton fans. He asked if my mate wanted art of it, his reply was Im 58 no not really.

But believe me it runs deep in the palace.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Pantomime hate is the best way to put it. For EVERY Brighton fan they are cast in the role of the bad guys and we are for them. Whether we are in the same league or not both will always look out for the other's results and at least we get to consistently have a rye smile at theirs, while they become more and more angry that we are back and did it the right way, rather than cheat twice and scrape through winning nothing.

When we were struggling at the bottom of division 3, they weren't all chanting "Stand up if you hate Brighton" at their games
They were in October 2001, when Palace's opposition were Norwich City and Albion's infamous "Selhurst Seven" turned up to promote the first REMF game, by wearing the stripes and sitting with the Norwich fans in the Arthur Wait Stand.

We had the whole of the Holmesdale Stand on their feet, HURLING abuse at us. The 2000 Norwich fans in the ground were rather bemused.

Marvellous scenes.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Well lets put it this way, my mate at work said that one of his mates are arranging a special welcome for Brighton fans. He asked if my mate wanted art of it, his reply was Im 58 no not really.

Oh that's nice of them, i hope its bunting and cakes. I do like a cake every now and then. I also like it when their is mutual appreciation between clubs and fans, that's nice. :kiss::kiss:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh that's nice of them, i hope its bunting and cakes. I do like a cake every now and then. I also like it when their is mutual appreciation between clubs and fans, that's nice. :kiss::kiss:

Exactly. The celebration/welcoming will be in and around the Norwood area.

Jan 30, 2008
They were in October 2001, when Palace's opposition were Norwich City and Albion's infamous "Selhurst Seven" turned up to promote the first REMF game, by wearing the stripes and sitting with the Norwich fans in the Arthur Wait Stand.

We had the whole of the Holmesdale Stand on their feet, HURLING abuse at us. The 2000 Norwich fans in the ground were rather bemused.

Marvellous scenes.
untill you left the ground :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here