Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace away 01/12/12

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well you either hold back 2600 people or you hold back 10,000 people - obviously they would want to piss off as least amount of people as possible - so we will be held in.

Would be exactly the same for them at our place though.

Problem is, with our transport system, they'd have to be held back for over an hour if all BHA are to be clear of the station/ park and ride before Palace are let out.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They didn't hold back all the Palace fans last year, just those who were in the AW stand. No Palace fans were held back at the Amex.

Worked really well last year, adter the game they put up a metal fence where the AW and Holmesdale end meet and walked us all back to Norwood station where we were all put on a fast train out. Why not do the same and just close the pub down by the station until we are all out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A return to the good old days when being held back was the norm. I recall one game at the Old Den it took over an hour just to get back to the car, and this included the advice from a local Bobby that if you go down that road I cant guarantee your safety, and this after having been held back for 15-20 minutes or maybe more.

Maybe we should look to hold back the home crowd at the Amex to stop the rush for the exits 10 minutes before the final whistle.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
How would that work with lots of Albion fans not leaving straight away Hawk?

Absolutely no idea, might be the 1 game where the club get people to go straight away, although at Sunday 12PM ive no idea how that will work. Can see a special fast train being put on for Palace fans though so they get taken straight to it - although considering we already have our fans waiting up to 45 minutes for a train - its a massive headache for whoever plans it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Worked really well last year, adter the game they put up a metal fence where the AW and Holmesdale end meet and walked us all back to Norwood station where we were all put on a fast train out. Why not do the same and just close the pub down by the station until we are all out.

(1) Palace fans went mad the following day about how they were inconvienienced after the game. They made complaints to to both their board and a fans organisation.As a club it is their home game, and their board really don't want to piss their fans off again.

(2) Did it really work well? Both sets of fans ended up meeting at the station anyway, and there was stuff being lobbed (by both sides)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
(1) Palace fans went mad the following day about how they were inconvienienced after the game. They made complaints to to both their board and a fans organisation.As a club it is their home game, and their board really don't want to piss their fans off again.

(2) Did it really work well? Both sets of fans ended up meeting at the station anyway, and there was stuff being lobbed (by both sides)

1) Its down to the police so tough titties I imagine

2) Missed that and I was near the front

I admit having just 2,600 tickets kills the atmosphere when its selected fans who can go which is the same for us needing so many stubbs from certain away games etc,much better in the old days just turn up you used to fill up the Whitehorse end which held about 5000 we would have the east terrace great games apart from boxing days never seemed to be able to beat you.Ward ,Maybank,Mellor,Horton,Cannon,Hilaire,Gilbert,Sansom, happy days just not the same anymore.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I admit having just 2,600 tickets kills the atmosphere when its selected fans who can go which is the same for us needing so many stubbs from certain away games etc,much better in the old days just turn up you used to fill up the Whitehorse end which held about 5000 we would have the east terrace great games apart from boxing days never seemed to be able to beat you.Ward ,Maybank,Mellor,Horton,Cannon,Hilaire,Gilbert,Sansom, happy days just not the same anymore.

A sensible post from a Palace fan for once. I'm still not quite sure of the rationale behind us being limited to so few tickets

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The thing that pissed them off more than forcing them to take long routes home was that they weren't told until the end of the game that they had to take long routes home. Irrespective of them being Palace, I can see why they would be pissed off.

The issue (or one of the issues) at the Amex was that there wasn't enough segregation. I'm told that for the game at the Amex, Palace fans will be encouraged to take a special (I use the word advisedly) train which goes from Norwood / East Croydon, and goes straight to Falmer via Lewes, not allowing anyone off. They will look at other arrangements for those who don't live in the Croydon area, but these are discussion which will start on week commencing 3rd December.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Keeping us back. f*** that, it's made my decision. Why the hell should I pay £35 to watch my team with a crap view in that rotting carcass of a stadium again? Then have it take hours to get home.

I shall look forward to Charlton.

Good man. Save your vitriol for them. I'm sure we gave Millwall 2,600. All away fans are situated 2 blocks away from the end (nearest the Sainsburys family stand) with the complete Arthur Waite empty of season tickets which are relocated elsewhere in the stadium. £35, blimey, it's only £25 for us. Still, cheaper by a quid to come to our place than Leeds, £36.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
I have less and less interest in this fixture. Palace are the only true rival but its so much of a hassle that I wouldn't bother with it even if I could just stroll up and pay on the gate to get in. The MET understandably look at Brighton's hoolie record at Palace and the rest of London and they are on alert. Palace will also have their hoolies and I also think these fixtures now attract neutral hoolies as well these days (well it did when we went to Hereford anyway). The police feel they have to do something about it and all in all, it turns into a pain in the arse day out. I would just contain it all in the ground and let anyone who wants a punch up on the pitch after the game. That would at least stop the mouthy wannabe hoolies and let everyone else to go home as they see fit. It would also save the local pubs a problem and save a fortune in police overtime as well. It will never happen and so it might be a long time before I bother with this fixture again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here