Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Owen Patterson M.P.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For those who live in constituencies with Tory MPs, remind them of this.

View attachment 141859

That js clearly out of date. For this particular Government, the three duties (in order) of a Tory MP are as follows:

1. Duty to oneself in order to benefit from public office to the maximum.

2. Duty to any organisation or person who will pay the most.

3. Duty to Boris Johnson to keep him in power.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
For those who live in constituencies with Tory MPs, remind them of this.

View attachment 141859

And of course they will argue that they have met these criteria.
I just don’t understand how they are allowed to police themselves. The conduct of Parliament should be managed by the judiciary and any standards to meet and punishments doled out should be in their remit. These things have somehow got to be taken away from the House. What they have done is completely anti democratic.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know NSC tends to me left of centre but even the Telegraph readers on here are quiet on this...

Interesting the Daily Mail going for the government today, will this one blow over? Its what usually happens...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
8119270D-A372-44E0-88B6-9A09D4A4C979.png

The definition of irony.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I know NSC tends to me left of centre but even the Telegraph readers on here are quiet on this...

Interesting the Daily Mail going for the government today, will this one blow over? Its what usually happens...

The Daily Mail have been gunning for Boris ever since the incompetence of his government led to the death of thousands of their readers from covid in care-homes.

I’m sure the Express & Sun will not be leading on this. They know their readers have no interest in criticising Boris. Good luck in finding any negative comments in those rags on their front pages.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

The Mail front page headline says MPs, not Tory MPs. I don’t think any of the opposition MPs voted for the Leadsom amendment.

77761064-5609-4CDB-AAEE-6927DEE9FF68.png

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Wretched, mealy mouthed response. Chris Bryant effectively debunked this, more or less point by point, in parliament during yesterday’s debate. I would urge anybody interested in this to take 10 minutes to watch his speech, which is linked below.

As if the entire episode wasn’t unsavoury enough, the apparent attempt to “rebrand” his wife’s suicide after no mention had been made of the investigation at the time of the inquest makes me shudder. As Bryant points out, the enquiry into Paterson’s conduct was initially suspended because of Covid. Every delay thereafter was at his request. Having stalled the proceedings repeatedly, Paterson then sought to portray the length of the enquiry as being unfair.

The mendacity of all of this astonishes and disgusts me. I shall be writing to my MP (who voted for the amendment of course) in much more detail than above and inviting his response. However, I can almost guarantee that any reply will be a variant on the “lines to take” package issued by Richard Holden (above).

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1455928741067214853

I, too, plan to write to my MP. In the last two weeks he has voted to allow water companies to continue to pump sewage into our rivers and seas, and now this. I wrote to him in relation to the first issue (no response yet, but I know what he'll say).

Most Tory MPs seem hell-bent on enriching themselves, their mates, and anyone who may help them out in the future. Their disdain for democracy and the average citizen in this country is incredible.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The truth was destroyed in 2016, its a long way back now. They got away with that, got an 80 seat majority on the back of it, the public are easy meat

We're seeing widespread abuse of power, this incident is nothing new. The press and the judiciary are in the governments sight....

We'll be a non-EU Hungary soon...

It is hard to avoid the B word, since, in alot of people's eyes if you're a flag shagging Brexit supporting MP you then get a free pass on everything else

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
MPs should not be allowed to have second jobs or to benefit from their own lobbying.
Terrifyingly I just heard on Today that this kind of behaviour doesn't cut through to enough of the population, so not much electoral risk from condoning evidently corrupt behaviour or any ballot box gain from addressing it!
Therefore habitual big hoof into the long grass ... (whole warehouse of balls in there)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I, too, plan to write to my MP. In the last two weeks he has voted to allow water companies to continue to pump sewage into our rivers and seas, and now this. I wrote to him in relation to the first issue (no response yet, but I know what he'll say).

Most Tory MPs seem hell-bent on enriching themselves, their mates, and anyone who may help them out in the future. Their disdain for democracy and the average citizen in this country is incredible.

Absolutely no point in writing to my MP.

John Whittingdale.
Chair of the new Committee set up to whitewash the findings of the original Committee.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
A recall needs 10,000 signatures from his constituents, and he’s in a safe Tory seat.

My opinion is the government wanted rid of this Standards committee because there is far worse going on, which they want to hide. Why is Johnson still refusing to publish the Russian report?

This is why we need to scrap FPTP and replace with PR. many decent ordinary folk who would usually vote Tory despise BJ and his Government, many have turned against Brexit, but all the moderate Tory backbench MPs in safe seats will always get voted back in and endorse the current government, so nothing changes. If the party and government as a whole knew they would get a real kick in from the electorate they wouldn't do it

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A couple of points (apologies if these have been mentioned already).
1. Boris has seriously miscalculated this. He thought it would be a 'Westminster bubble' thing. It's been trending on social media and seems to have gained a lot of traction.

2. Why did Boris do this? One opinion I have heard is that, ironically, it has little to do with the MP in question and more about the concern about what is coming down the line in regards to the contracts handed out during the Covid response. They've neutered Parliament from netting bigger fish.

Are you indicating that Johnson may be derailing the much too late but open and honest inquiry into the decisions made over Covid.
I thought it was delayed until 2022 because the government are too busy on other matters, surely he wasn't delaying the inquiry to give him time to swerve any wrong doing by the Government during the pandemic and any other breaches he has carried out personally.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That js clearly out of date. For this particular Government, the three duties (in order) of a Tory MP are as follows:

1. Duty to oneself in order to benefit from public office to the maximum.

2. Duty to any organisation or person who will pay the most.

3. Duty to Boris Johnson to keep him in power.

3 has to come first, because it enables 1 and 2. It's worth noting that Johnson has stated that he wants to be PM for 20 years.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A couple of points (apologies if these have been mentioned already).
1. Boris has seriously miscalculated this. He thought it would be a 'Westminster bubble' thing. It's been trending on social media and seems to have gained a lot of traction.

2. Why did Boris do this? One opinion I have heard is that, ironically, it has little to do with the MP in question and more about the concern about what is coming down the line in regards to the contracts handed out during the Covid response. They've neutered Parliament from netting bigger fish.

RE 1, you might be right, but I fear that [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION] will be right in stating that on Sunday, our papers will say Conservatives 45 (+4)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This episode reminds me of when the mighty River Plate got relegated from the Argentinian Premier League. So they changed the rules at the end of the season to say that actually it wasn't about the points you got that season, it was an average of the points you got in the three previous seasons. And then backdated the rule to the last season, meaning River Plate survived.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here