Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen out for 5 months

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
But then Crouch has established himself reasonably well in international football.

He hasnt been as bad as some people have made out, but he has missed quite a few chances.Would you count on him to take chances in the big games? I stand corrected if he does.

In fairness though I think unfortunately for him, teams tend to knock the ball long at him, whereas he is actually better on the ground.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
To be honest I was more concerned about Rio Ferdinand and glad that he has been given the all clear.

It was only 3 days ago that people were talking about Owen being dropped, he hasn't been on form. We've got Rooney back and he'll be sharper on Sunday than he was yday.

Ecuador will put 10-11 men behind the ball. What we need to do is get and hold the ball in midfield and then play from there. That will push them back and allowing us to build up pressure.

E

enigma

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
How can you say that considering you havne't seen Ashton who could quite easily have played RUBBISH. Personally I think Crouch has done okay and there's more to come.

Ashton could easily have been rubbish, but I think he is a better player than Crouch. He is not as tall, but he is better at holding the ball up. He is also just as good a technical player and I think a better finisher.

I think if he had been at West Ham for the whole season, he would have got a couple of games to prove himself with England, he's certainly someone they should look at after the World Cup.

I'm not saying Crouch has done badly, but I'm just not convinced he has what it takes against the top teams.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
He hasnt been as bad as some people have made out, but he has missed quite a few chances.Would you count on him to take chances in the big games? I stand corrected if he does.

In fairness though I think unfortunately for him, teams tend to knock the ball long at him, whereas he is actually better on the ground.

But then this year Crouch has 7 goals in international football.

He does not have enough pace is the real issue with him, but then neither does Ashton.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Obviously I'm upset for Owen. I wish him a full and speedy recovery and I sincerely hope he's back banging in the goals for Newcastle and England by Christmas.

BUT

From the perspective of this tournament is this a massive blessing in disguise? For the first two games he was in the team simply because he was Michael Owen and he used to be good. Sven wouldn't drop him any more than he would drop Beckham, he, like a lot of people were convinced that he would eventually come good because he was Michael Owen.

So now instead of folornly hoping the Owen of 1998 would suddenly burst out of the chrysalis of Owen 2006 we've got to think of something else. 4-5-1 perhaps? 4-4-2 with Crouch (who has been better than Owen for the last few games) partnering Rooney? At least we can now use the players we've got instead of just hoping that Owen would re-discover his form.

E

enigma

Yeah maybe but the risk at the time was worth it I reckon considering our depth in attacking midfielders. I do think Sven took the amount of attacking midfielders he did because he didn't think Defoe or Bent could perform at that level which think is a fair enough move.

I agree with you there, as I think the 451 would suit England more.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
But then this year Crouch has 7 goals in international football.

He does not have enough pace is the real issue with him, but then neither does Ashton.

I thought it was 6? Still, doesnt make much difference.

A hat trick against Jamaica, and goals against Hungary, Trinidad and Uruguay are all well and good, but they arent great teams, although Uruguay arent bad I suppose.

Good point re Ashton- his one obvious weakness.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
I thought it was 6? Still, doesnt make much difference.

A hat trick against Jamaica, and goals against Hungary, Trinidad and Uruguay are all well and good, but they arent great teams, although Uruguay arent bad I suppose.

Good point re Ashton- his one obvious weakness.

I guess in his defence the only very good team we have played since he has been an England player is Argentina and he came on and caused havoc. With regards to the 7 goals, all he can do is score against who he is playing against.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
I guess in his defence the only very good team we have played since he has been an England player is Argentina and he came on and caused havoc. With regards to the 7 goals, all he can do is score against who he is playing against.

Fair points. He did cause havoc against Argentina.

I dont think he is a bad player, just maybe that Ashton is better, although we will have to see. I certainly think England would do better to play the ball into feet with him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But the more games he played in the more match fit he would have got?
Would he though? Was it just a matter of match fitness or was he seriously off-form? Still, whether it's good or bad news it's academic now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Brovian said:
Would he though? Was it just a matter of match fitness or was he seriously off-form? Still, whether it's good or bad news it's academic now.

He was not fit, that was obvious. Form can come with games as well.

At the end of the day we have lost the one player that we had with a proven scoring record in international football.

Still France did not need a recognised striker in 1998.

GermanShepherd

Oct 17, 2005
Cardiff City
sad to see owen out for that long. i rate him highly and he seems to be a great guy.

regardless on what club or team he plays for, you dont wish someone getting hurt so badly. hope he recovers soon.

gute besserung

D

Deleted member 2719

Ouch. Poor bloke.

Ligament damage is a mother fucker.

So very true - well at least he will be back in a few months in the meantime he be paid 10's of thousands a week.

It could be worse Michael.

:lolol:

No seriously i hope he is up and fit banging in those goals as soon as possible.

:goal:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here