Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen out for 5 months

E

enigma

Top scorer? He only got 3 in the last two tournaments anyway.

Its a shame for England as he is the best natural goalscorer they have. What is worse is that there is no natural replacement for him, making Sven's decision to leave Defoe at home look ridiculous.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Repugnant Toad said:
Unfortunately, Rooney is totally unsuited to the lone striker role; his game is about dropping off and picking the ball up from deep - a lone striker needs to lead the line and hold the ball up. Without Defoe, we're f***ed.

Oh. I always thought Rooney could play anywhere. I must admit I haven't seen a great deal of him playing.

I don't think we are screwed without Defoe though.

E

enigma

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Defoe is SHITHOUSE. [/QUOTE

He had a shit season, but apparently he was looking pretty good in training etc before the tournament... I know its not the real thing, but surely you would have to take Defoe ahead of Walcott...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
enigma said:
Defoe is SHITHOUSE. [/QUOTE

He had a shit season, but apparently he was looking pretty good in training etc before the tournament... I know its not the real thing, but surely you would have to take Defoe ahead of Walcott...

If I was in Svens position then I would have picked Bent instead of both of them but left with the choice of Walcott and Defoe id have Walcott, Waclott is an unknown quantity and probably the fastest player on our side where as Defoe has had an awful season.

i EVEN TAKE aSHTON B4 wALCOTT, SVEN ARROGANCE HAS MESSED UP HERE, WE OVERLOADED WITH MIDFIELDERS AND IN KEY POSITION, WE HAVE NO DEPTH OF PLAYERS LET ALONE ANY EXPERIENCE.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I like the fact that we took Walcott and would be far more exicted to see him come off the bench than Defoe who I don't rate at all.

E

enigma

DAMANCLAY said:
If I was in Svens position then I would have picked Bent instead of both of them but left with the choice of Walcott and Defoe id have Walcott, Waclott is an unknown quantity and probably the fastest player on our side where as Defoe has had an awful season.

Okay, I can see your point with Bent, but I literally cant see why anyone would take a 17 year old with no premiership experience ahead of Defoe. Pace is useful but not the be all and end all, dont you think International defenders will know how to defend against it?

Defoe did have a bad season, but Robbie Keane was also brilliant. What is they say, form is temporary, class is permanent? Defoe is the most similar in style to Owen and should have gone ahead of Walcott.

Even Sven cant rate Walcott that highly, he hasnt had a single minute so far. I know people will talk about circumstances in games, but to not have played a minute so far says it all.

E

enigma

I like the fact that we took Walcott and would be far more exicted to see him come off the bench than Defoe who I don't rate at all.

The trouble is, Walcott might have been an interesting gamble if all the strikers had been fully fit but with the injuries England have its a bit mental.

E

enigma

As a side issue, having seen him in the World Cup, would you still take Crouch ahead of Ashton?

I know I wouldn't.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah maybe but the risk at the time was worth it I reckon considering our depth in attacking midfielders. I do think Sven took the amount of attacking midfielders he did because he didn't think Defoe or Bent could perform at that level which think is a fair enough move.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah maybe but the risk at the time was worth it I reckon considering our depth in attacking midfielders. I do think Sven took the amount of attacking midfielders he did because he didn't think Defoe or Bent could perform at that level which think is a fair enough move.

Defoe has not been great this season and until he learns some awarness of those around him he is always going to be a nearly man.

Bent, well I guess people will argue that he has not had a proper chance as he only played in one friendly, but he has been in every squad this season so the coaches have had a good look at him. In the Uruaguay game I did feel his movement was awful and you cannot do that at this level. Also he started the season well, but was not great after Christmas and I am pretty sure he did not perform all that well agains the top sides in the Premiership.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
enigma said:
As a side issue, having seen him in the World Cup, would you still take Crouch ahead of Ashton?

I know I wouldn't.

How can you say that considering you havne't seen Ashton who could quite easily have played RUBBISH. Personally I think Crouch has done okay and there's more to come.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
enigma said:
Okay, I can see your point with Bent, but I literally cant see why anyone would take a 17 year old with no premiership experience ahead of Defoe. Pace is useful but not the be all and end all, dont you think International defenders will know how to defend against it?

Defoe did have a bad season, but Robbie Keane was also brilliant. What is they say, form is temporary, class is permanent? Defoe is the most similar in style to Owen and should have gone ahead of Walcott.

Even Sven cant rate Walcott that highly, he hasnt had a single minute so far. I know people will talk about circumstances in games, but to not have played a minute so far says it all.

Form is temporary but when we only have a month to sort out a players form who is going to be on the beach for 90% of the time it isn't worth it. I think the only reason Walcott was brought is due to his pace and will only be used in the last 20 mins against tiring defenders, we really haven't had the need to use him yet. Should we be 2-1 down against whoever in the knockout stages I think Walcotts pace would cause more problems for defenders than Defoe.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
FOOTBALL: Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd confirms Michael Owen has ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here