Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our rivalry with Palace; it's a bit odd, apparently!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be fair most people consider the Daily Mail and it's readers to be a bit odd and most certainly out of touch. No surprise that they have a journalist who talks through his arse.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And whereas in the past the gatherings and subsequent charges across platforms and concourses would involve hundreds of bitter rivals and force police to set up a ring of steel, now it's just a meagre handful of fans who can't even remember why they hate each other and a couple of friendly old bobbies on the scene in case someone needs directions to the Ikea tram

I think they got that bit wrong, muppets

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And whereas in the past the gatherings and subsequent charges across platforms and concourses would involve hundreds of bitter rivals and force police to set up a ring of steel, now it's just a meagre handful of fans who can't even remember why they hate each other and a couple of friendly old bobbies on the scene in case someone needs directions to the Ikea tram

I think they got that bit wrong, muppets
I dunno, I think there's a lot of truth in it. I mean, why DO we hate Palace? As the article says we were rivals for a very brief period in the Mullery/Venables era, a rivalry that was spiced up by the Ron Challis penalty incident, but they weren't even on our radar before that and we certainly haven't played them much since. When I first started going to Brighton games in 1965/66 our local rivals were considered to be Bournemouth and Fulham, indeed my first away game was Palace in about 1974/75 (can't remember the exact year but it was just before the Mullery era) and there were hardly any Brighton fans there. We won 1-0 BTW.

Wasn't the West Ham Millwall rivalry sparked by an incident during the General Strike of 1926?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I dunno, I think there's a lot of truth in it. I mean, why DO we hate Palace? ?

At the moment I don't hate Palace at all, once we are playing them regularly I have no doubt that the rivalry will intensify and all the youngsters ( actually plenty of people who haven't really been involved aren't that young now :() will soon get into the swing of it.

It seems a bit muppetish to keep banging on about Palace when we've only played them 6 odd times in 20 years, but you have to admit all those games had a much improved atmosphere on virtually every other game in the last couple of decades, except during the Great Escape.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Rilvary existsts because it exists, (there's no smoke without fire!) so ok the meetings have been sparce over the years but we have one, nothing will ever change that regardless of when it started. Some rilvary is met more often so people know more of them,therefore it is this plonker he knows nothing about rilvary can understand why ours exists he probably supports a team that doesn't have rilvary and is jealous, perhaps someone should invite him to the next time albion meet palarse so he can see for him self!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------

WE HATE PALACE!!! just has ring to it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It seems a bit muppetish to keep banging on about Palace when we've only played them 6 odd times in 20 years.

Large sections of this board , H block withdean , some of our bobble hat fans , non stop gay songs , steward baiting are muppetish

Hating Palace is 100% NOT

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The article is a tad condesending, but relatively acurate, I can clearly remember in the 70's my old man getting wound up lots more by the Pompey rivalry (which as older fans will tell you was proper hatred, not just a few choruses of p.a.l.a.c.e etc on a train to Brentford) than Palace.

Still, its nice to have a rival.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its difficult to have a rivalry with a team who have been consistantly better and bigger than us for about 19 seasons out of the last 20. A rivalry with a game once every 5 years. I think not. Infact its all a bit embarrassing quite frankly now. The mid / late 70's fair enough we were on an unstoppable march to the top division with 30000 plus crowds, now as we on an unstoppable march to the 4th division meaning CPFC will be 2 leagues above us we should just shut up frankly and not embarrass ourselves.

CPFC call us Seaweed and at the moment thats exactly what we are.

tim warneford

Mar 3, 2009
Lancaster
It is not possible to apply logic and rationality to something as subjectively emotionally charged as love/hatred. Defining it is impossible. It exists within the hearts and minds of both club's supporters and even the players themselves will be aware of the rivalry. For some of us the passing of East Croyden station en route to and from Victoria in the 1980's meant 'running the gaunlet' of the Palace/Spurs crew who used to be on the platform waiting and this would result in 'fight or flight'. So it did not matter that the two teams were not playing each other that frequently as 'clashes' occured in other environments; railway carriages, Victoria station and even other matches (see Spurs v Man United)

London teams like Orient, South Coast rivals such as Pompey and the odd curve ball such as Chesterfield/Swindon will ebb and flow with various degress of intensity, but the palace v albion one is forever etched and will run and run ad infinitum. And quite right too!!!!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rilvary existsts because it exists, (there's no smoke without fire!) so ok the meetings have been sparce over the years but we have one, nothing will ever change that regardless of when it started. Some rilvary is met more often so people know more of them,therefore it is this plonker he knows nothing about rilvary can understand why ours exists he probably supports a team that doesn't have rilvary and is jealous, perhaps someone should invite him to the next time albion meet palarse so he can see for him self!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------

WE HATE PALACE!!! just has ring to it.

Whens that then 2037 ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is not possible to apply logic and rationality to something as subjectively emotionally charged as love/hatred. Defining it is impossible. It exists within the hearts and minds of both club's supporters and even the players themselves will be aware of the rivalry. For some of us the passing of East Croyden station en route to and from Victoria in the 1980's meant 'running the gaunlet' of the Palace/Spurs crew who used to be on the platform waiting and this would result in 'fight or flight'. So it did not matter that the two teams were not playing each other that frequently as 'clashes' occured in other environments; railway carriages, Victoria station and even other matches (see Spurs v Man United)

London teams like Orient, South Coast rivals such as Pompey and the odd curve ball such as Chesterfield/Swindon will ebb and flow with various degress of intensity, but the palace v albion one is forever etched and will run and run ad infinitum. And quite right too!!!!!

Will it though. When a team has been superior to the other for 2 decades the old supporters who remembred the rivalry will die off and the new fans, well the handful of new fans will not know the rivalry even existed if we never play them so it will die off in time and is doing so already. Infact its only us who keep the rivalry going to CPFC we are an irrelevance hence the fact its all rather pathetic and cringeworthy on our part now as we are NO rival to CPFC.

tim warneford

Mar 3, 2009
Lancaster
There was plenty of empirical evidence of the blind hatred that is in rude health when last we played up at Selhurst. The tales are passed down in a form of oral history via the songs/web sites/car stickers etc and so the discourse is repeated.

They would like to think of themselves as above and beyond us but the truth is both teams supporters attach such strong loathing that it is still seems to me to be pretty well undiluted (Charlton do also have a GENUINE hatred of them too).

I take your point that if the Albion continue in free fall and we remain at least one division apart then unless we draw one another in the cup it is unlikely we will be playing them too often and thus the opportunity to actually engage the enemy will be at a premium. However, can you imagine the types coming out of the woodwork once we did once again play them. The simmering/repressed loathing would need very little encouragement to display itself and the longer it took to come to the fore would make it that more explosive.

We are reminded of the swine every time we journey to Victoria, we pass their station we sight there ground and we may even see them scutttling around Victoria station itself. They are part of our mental geography and as such under our skin.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe after the work on the REMF where without CPFC fans we would not have raised over £ 55000 I have a different opinion of them.

tim warneford

Mar 3, 2009
Lancaster
How magnanimous! I instead recall the scramble for promotion, the Gerry Ryan broken leg, the fish van arsonist and the recent 'to do' at the white horse public house to generate a slightly less generous narrative of our rivals.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BHAFC has more than its share of Pond life and knuckle draggers as well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway the rivavlry is an irrelevance now as we never play them so I agree with a lot of what the DM bloke said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here