Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our penalty takers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps football should adopt the same as American football when you bring on a kicker just to take the kicks we could then have, as somebody suggested, Gus to come on take the penalty then go off again. Newcastle would probably put Shearer on the pay roll.:lol:

The biggest problem as to why so many kicks are saved is because the keepers move forward early and that is missed by the officials.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
You've answered your own question, haven't you? (although your maths are wrong) If the pens had gone in, the match would have taken a different course. End of. We MAY have won / drawn those games. We may not have. At Saints, going behind MIGHT have spurred them on to the extent that we could have LOST the game. Its all just conjecture.

The only one that you could argue as pretty much FACT, is that we would have beaten FCUM at the first attempt if Bennett had scored, as that was in the 95th minute.

It wasn't meant to be that serious a question - more like an interesting hypothesis. ???

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Barnes for me ... he has been brill at it so far ... Tuesday was his one miss ... don;t tar him with the Muzza and Benno brush who have both missed a few

Perhaps Sparrow if Barnes isn't on the pitch

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I actually thought Barnes penalty was alright at Brentford.

Fairly hard, low, pretty near the corner.

The ones that annoy me are the ones at waist height for the keeper so if he gusses right its likely he'll save it, just hit it bottom or top corner and its normally good enough.

Good save on this occasion.

Most 'keepers dive low and guess a side, so waist high is not such a problem these days.

:amex::ascarf:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Curbishley? The only time I can remember seeing him miss was against man city, but the keeper moved early so it was taken again. He scored the retaken penalty.

Brilliant penalty taker Curbs was. I remember him scoring one at the Goldstone which was as top right of the goal as you could get it. Absolutely unstoppable. Im nore recent times I always felt comfortable with Virgo taking them. I let Calde have go if Barnes decided he didn't want to take them anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here