Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our luck this season......

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think what we can safely conclude about the arguments going on above, is that luck evens itself out in the end.

We've had good fortune at times, and bad luck at others. After forty six games, we won't be able to complain that misfortune has haunted us, only bad (or good) play.
I'm not convinced. I think we've had terribly bad luck and I'm still HAUNTED by the Wednesday and Bournemouth games.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Biggest stroke of luck was Bloom signing Gus. Just think who we could of ended up with without luck on our side! :jester:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Analysis which doesn't take into the account we were lucky to be top on Christmas Day, Sheffield Wednesday losing 5-1 to Exeter is a slice of good fortune.

For a counter example.

Or you could argue that they buckled under the pressure that we have created by being top for so long? It's all speculation isn't it. But we are NOT top because we are lucky.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
We have been lucky. We've had a few penalties given in our favour that have been dodgy. We've had teams around us lose, which has nothing to do with us but does go in our favour. We'd not picked up any major injuries, until LuaLua and look how we've done since he got injured. I'm not saying it's ALL down to luck, it's clearly not. We were unlucky not to thrash Peterborough even heavier on the day, and Charlton were just blown away. But it's not been all brilliant football and stylish wins.

Nonsense, is this humour(?)...

penalty at Hudd could possibly not been given but he got as much of murray as the ball. Saints pen was in front of me and was so blatant.

The B'mouth penalty, the Rochdale pen, the refereeing at Hartlepool and wed, where we got nothing at one and got kicked about in other. The free kick that changed the game at Hudd was for a fictitious offence. Where's the luck,wheres the break that presented us with a win we didnt warrant or deserve???...

Lucky to miss a penalty against Southampton, lucky to miss a penalty vs Huddersfield, lucky to lose 1-0 to Sheff Wednesday when they should have had a man sent off 1st half...

What should Sheffield Wednesday had a man sent off for? El-Abd didn't get touched in the face, it was embarrassing to watch.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
In my opinion I feel we have been very very lucky this season so far. Yes there was the B'mouth disaster and a couple of last gasp goals (some in our favour) but the amount of times we have been let of the hook by teams around us losing when they have the oppurtunity to overtake us or close in on us is crazy, ecspecially as they are against "lesser" sides i.e. sheff wends Exeter Charlton wallsall and Huddersfield losing today on the only game taking place giving us a game in hand and phsycological advantage over them. Hopefully when we end this bad run we won't need to rely on other results, starting on Wednesday please Mr. Poyet. SEAGULLS!!

what a load of utter nonsense this is. we have been unlucky if anything.

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Exeter have one of the best home records in the division. We have to face that next week and may well lose that game but we also have the best defence in the league. Wednesday don't.

Actually Wednesday had conceded 1 more goal than Brighton in 1 more game prior to the Exeter game so not all that much in it. And it's pointless looking at individual match ups. I could just as easily point at our games v Bristol Rovers and Hartlepool in which we battered opposition you failed to beat.

You are where you deserve to be based on the results of the games played and luck will play a minor part in deciding individual games but will be largely irrelevant for the big picture

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This thread is such a load of shit. We are unlucky not to be 10 points clear if anything.
Proving the point that Ninja Elephant knows nothing about football, or infact anything again though.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Actually I think he is right, all he is saying is that the other teams not winning when they had a chance to win is our luck. I think all the missed pens, late goals againts etc is another discussion.......

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
In my opinion I feel we have been very very lucky this season so far. Yes there was the B'mouth disaster and a couple of last gasp goals (some in our favour) but the amount of times we have been let of the hook by teams around us losing when they have the oppurtunity to overtake us or close in on us is crazy, ecspecially as they are against "lesser" sides i.e. sheff wends Exeter Charlton wallsall and Huddersfield losing today on the only game taking place giving us a game in hand and phsycological advantage over them. Hopefully when we end this bad run we won't need to rely on other results, starting on Wednesday please Mr. Poyet. SEAGULLS!!

Bollocks. There was nothing lucky about Charlton or Pboro away. We have slipped away a bit recently through fault of our own and are still top. That is the fault of others, not us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yup, interesting analysis. Although slightly worrying when you look at how many goals we've conceded in the last 10 minutes in comparison to goals scored.

Actually, we've conceded 6 in the last 5 minutes, and scored 5 in the last 5 minutes (I don't have last ten minutes, but have last 15 minutes which reads scored 9, conceded 8) . The problem is that, the ones we scored turned 1-0 to 2-0, 3-0 to 4-0, 1-0 to 2-1*, and 2-0 to 4-0.

Whereas the conceded goals have turned 2-1 to 2-2, 1-0 to 2-1*, 1-0 to 1-1, 1-0 to 1-1, 1-2 to 3-1, and 2-1 to 2-2.

We are scoring late in the game, just not enough when it rescues points for us.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Have you included FA Cup games in those figures? Spot on about the significance of the late goals though, perhaps I should have pointed that out instead of quantity.

Still, I'm pretty sure if you were to do last 10 minutes for league games, the figures would not look good!

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have you included FA Cup games in those figures? Spot on about the significance of the late goals though, perhaps I should have pointed that out instead of quantity.

Still, I'm pretty sure if you were to do last 10 minutes for league games, the figures would not look good!

Yes, FA cup games included in that bit.

I covered the cost of the league goals conceded in the last ten minutes on page 1, this time I was merely showing that we also score plenty in the last 5/15minutes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Consistency is the key to winning the league and we have been more consistent than the other teams. Luck has nothing to do with it.
It seems the cognescenti are wrong.

v v v v v v v v v v v v v vv v v v

Well you are wrong at least one count. The cognoscenti are never wrong.

Maybe 'luck' is the wrong word. But its the fact that doesn't lie that our supposed promotion rivals have been ridiculously slow to cash in on us not winning a Leage game since 2nd November. They'll be kicking themselves. At the moment our position is hilariously reminiscent of the time under, I think, Wilkins, a few seasons back when we didn't win a game for about three months but results elsewhere meant we remained lodged in fifth place for a ridiculously long period of time despite not doing anything very much positive towards maintaining that position.

We need to kick on now in a serious way, else we'll be SWAMPED by the chasing pack. Fact.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the moment our position is hilariously reminiscent of the time under, I think, Wilkins, a few seasons back when we didn't win a game for about three months but results elsewhere meant we remained lodged in fifth place for a ridiculously long period of time despite not doing anything very much positive towards maintaining that position.

The longest we stayed in one position under wilkins was staying in 7th place for three weeks (which we did for games 16,17,18 and 44,45,46) we were lodged in 22nd for 11 games under slade (and before that lodged in 22nd for 5 games, under Gus, I think games 19-23 last year)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here