Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our catchment area and the potential

Jul 5, 2003
Great thread. Give Brighton back to LA!!!! No way is this a Porstmiff town. There are a few blue shirts but many more stripes. Always though Bognor was 50-50 but east of that it's Brighton.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Attachments

• gold1 001.jpg
    gold1 001.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 58

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
RIP

Attachments

• gold03 001.jpg
    gold03 001.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 42

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
deffinate buzz when you came around the corner by the church, NEVER RECAPTURE THAT FEEL AT THE AMEX ..................... FACT!!!!! :thumbsup:

The look back down Old shoreham road after a game,from either end,or the walk down from the Hove Park Tavern before the game,see how many were on the East could tell you what type of gate we were getting....

ok 1 last one for memory GOLD07 001.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I looked into the catchment area of the underachieving clubs: Cardiff, Leeds, Southamptom are all ahead of Brighton, but not by that much. Bournemouth has a largish catchment area but less than the Sussex coast. Reading has potential. Tradition goes a long way as it takes time and lots of big matches like Liverpool to raise the profile. Norwich seems to have support greater than expected, but God knows how many small towns there are in their area.

I think we will see the smaller Lancashire clubs falling out of the Premier League this season and the next few until there is only about seven left.

Southampton, Eastleigh & Winchester has a combined pop'n of only 405,000.

Are are squeezed by the Pompey conurbation of Gosport, Fareham, Portsmouth, Havant, Porchester & Waterlooville of 552,000.

and on the other side by the Bournemouth, Poole & Christchuch conurbation of 400,000.

On the other hand Sussex is 1,600,000; and even if a deduction is made for Chichester/Bognor being Pompey allegedly, and Crawley having some Crawley and plastic Palace/Millwall followers, the Albion potential is vast.

In addition, Brighton (other than the Priestfield/Withdean years) have for 55 years had an underlying massive support, unlike non-football towns like Reading & Bournemouth.

Leeds is a far bigger city with massive football history.

Cardiff is a genuinely large city & national focal point.But even if you said the entire South & Mid Glamorgan was their catchment, that's 860,000, but with Rugby Union a massive competitor. Hence Cardiff City FC have never had a mass following.

I agree, unless they have wealthy benefactors, the old cotton & woollen towns of Lancs & Yorks, have much much smaller populations & wealth thesedays, and have been & will continue to gradually slide down a divison or 2.

The future for the Albion under the right owner & manager, is immense.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Southampton, Eastleigh & Winchester has a combined pop'n of only 405,000.

Are are squeezed by the Pompey conurbation of Gosport, Fareham, Portsmouth, Havant, Porchester & Waterlooville of 552,000.

and on the other side by the Bournemouth, Poole & Christchuch conurbation of 400,000.

On the other hand Sussex is 1,600,000; and even if a deduction is made for Chichester/Bognor being Pompey allegedly, and Crawley having some Crawley and plastic Palace/Millwall followers, the Albion potential is vast.

In addition, Brighton (other than the Priestfield/Withdean years) have for 55 years had an underlying massive support, unlike non-football towns like Reading & Bournemouth.

Leeds is a far bigger city with massive football history.

Cardiff is a genuinely large city & national focal point.But even if you said the entire South & Mid Glamorgan was their catchment, that's 860,000, but with Rugby Union a massive competitor. Hence Cardiff City FC have never had a mass following.

I agree, unless they have wealthy benefactors, the old cotton & woollen towns of Lancs & Yorks, have much much smaller populations & wealth thesedays, and have been & will continue to gradually slide down a divison or 2.

The future for the Albion under the right owner & manager, is immense.

Now that we are in the modern era,some giant's will fall,we like our style of play are fluid(give it 2 more years under Gus and we will be liquid Gold).....this

Absolute tosh, I'm afraid. Horsham is most definitely Albion country.

It certainly is, and points west into the towns and villages on the WSx/Surrey border: Alfold, Broadbridge Heath, Billingshurst, Cranleigh, Dunsfold, Ewhurst, Ifold, Loxwood, Kirdford, Plaistow, Rudgwick, Southwater, Slinfold, Warnham, Wisborough Green. They'll be a lot of blue and white on the A281 heading up to the A3 at Guildford tomorrow morning.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Falmer mate. There is already a 30,000 in the offing. I expect they will put a proper end for the North and south stand to expand it..one day but not for 5 or so years after the train line has been upgraded and transport issues are running in a practiced smooth way with frequent shuttles by both train and buss to and from the ground.

The train line will only be upgraded if the go ahead for BML2 (Brighton Main Line 2) is given. BML2 would allow a direct service from London to Falmer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Christ lets worry about bigger capacities once we've filled 31k for a season or so.

Where exactly is this extra capacity going to go when we have filled the extra 8k seats at Falmer. It is impossible to increase the capacity anymore without taking the entire roof off. We have a stadium that cost £70m to build so we won't be building a bigger one somewhere else anytime within the next 15/20 years at least, probably longer! Personally, whilst the Amex is a terrific stadium, the design has limitations with regard to future expansion above the 30k. There,fore, if you can't increase capacity, then the only way to increase revenue to help sustain Premiership football will be hikes in prices, with possibly the adverse effect of putting people off.

Not exactly what the point of this thread is. We are expanding the stadium and only need to find an extra 8k regular supporters. Make that an extra 15k to compensate for floaters so this talk of potential is pretty delusional.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hate to say it but Crawley has big potential for that same reason. If they continue their success and upgrade their stadium they could be the club of north Sussex.

im not sure they are even the club of Crawley.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No one is worried.
Just discussing the long term potential.
Obviously the 30,750 capacity is not yet ready, and that would have to be filled for 2 or 3 seasons in the PL, before any other ideas are hatched.

When, I repeat when the authorities allow safe standing then we will be able to increase the capacity.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When, I repeat when the authorities allow safe standing then we will be able to increase the capacity.

Is that the reason for the shallow rake of the ends-we will see

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The train line will only be upgraded if the go ahead for BML2 (Brighton Main Line 2) is given. BML2 would allow a direct service from London to Falmer.

I imagine if we gained Premier League status with regular crowds of 30k that would increase the pressure to reinstate the Lewes-Uckfield link. In addtion to allowing away fans to travel direct to Falmer from London, it would also make travelling to matches much easier for a lot of home fans living in the north east of the county. I wonder if the club have actually thought about publically backing the scheme? Would seem to make sense from lots of angles, including crowd management and policing.

Last edited:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I think the 30k capacity proposed is just about right. We won't fill that every game unless we are Prem or away fans take up about 5k.

The total population of Sussex is just over 1 million and outlaying areas (such as far West & North Sussex) are nearer to other league clubs. Look at the 3 main South London clubs - they have about 5 million people on their doorstep but currently struggle to get more than 15k a game each.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here