Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our catchment area and the potential

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I looked into the catchment area of the underachieving clubs: Cardiff, Leeds, Southamptom are all ahead of Brighton,

Southampton has a smaller city population than Brighton and Hove for starters and I wouldn't have thought the outlying areas could compete with Sussex, what with Pompey being in their county as well. Cardiff has a similar city population to us with Brighton and Hove - 250k and again, with Swansea not far up the road I'm not sure whether their outlying areas could compete with Sussex.

I've always been slightly deluded about our potential, but I did have concerns recently about the difficulties and expense of expanding Falmer beyond a 30k capacity if/when that proves inadequate and us destined to forever be a Birmingham City rather than a Sunderland in crowd terms.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Falmer mate. There is already a 30,000 in the offing. I expect they will put a proper end for the North and south stand to expand it..one day but not for 5 or so years after the train line has been upgraded and transport issues are running in a practiced smooth way with frequent shuttles by both train and buss to and from the ground.

There is very little chance of this ever happening fella. The cost would be enormous!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There is very little chance of this ever happening fella. The cost would be enormous!

We need to do a Barcelona and drop the pitch, digging even further down than we have already to add an extra tier beneath the existing stands - at least that way Perth Glory would be our local derby rather than Crystal Palace.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Absolute total nonsense. Littlehampton is a strong hold BHA town. BHA always have and always will own this

Absolutely this, Littlehampton, Rustington, East Preston, the whole area in the Arun Valley has always been a Brighton stronghold. Some of the largest support outside the big towns. And Horsham going all Crawley? They hate Crawley town!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The whole of Sussex is our realm. We are Sussex but in particular Brighton and Hove.massive potential , so a 40,000 stadium holds no worries.

I don't think there's any feasible way of expanding the Amex beyond 30,000 (although someone on here suggested the capacity could be increased by lowering the pitch! Not sure if they were joking or not...).

I too was wondering if in the future 30,000 would be big enough. Looking at Tim Carder's Seagulls book, there were 21 matches at the Goldstone with attendances in excess of 30k (mostly in the late 70s). No reason why we can't attract those sort of crowds now. In fact, if we were in the Premiership I can can imagine a lot of sold out fixtures. I think they could have aimed a little higher with the Amex - say 35,000. But time will tell.

Feb 14, 2010
Southampton has a smaller city population than Brighton and Hove for starters

Its not just that, its the Brighton conurbation that needs to be looked at - 500,000 and the 10th largest in the country. This just Brighton to Worthing, and does not include Lttlehapmton area, North/ mid sussex area and going the other way, Newhaven, Seaford, Lewas, Eastbourne, Hastings area -with Hastings alone a bigger town than Wigan. This is why Brighton have had crowds over 30,000 when playing Rochdale and Darlington in the 3rd division. A well run club can/will rival any club in the country, except the truly big clubs of which there are 8 or 9.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think there's any feasible way of expanding the Amex beyond 30,000 (although someone on here suggested the capacity could be increased by lowering the pitch! Not sure if they were joking or not...).

I too was wondering if in the future 30,000 would be big enough. Looking at Tim Carder's Seagulls book, there were 21 matches at the Goldstone with attendances in excess of 30k (mostly in the late 70s). No reason why we can't attract those sort of crowds now. In fact, if we were in the Premiership I can can imagine a lot of sold out fixtures. I think they could have aimed a little higher with the Amex - say 35,000. But time will tell.

I always wanted a capacity of 36,748.

D

Deleted member 18477

Christ lets worry about bigger capacities once we've filled 31k for a season or so.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I always wanted a capacity of 36,748.

Slightly annoying that the capacity when the Amex is fully expanded is only just over 30,000. Probably means we will never have a 30k attendance, as there will always be a few hundred empty seats even for sold out games (as we've seen this season).

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Slightly annoying that the capacity when the Amex is fully expanded is only just over 30,000. Probably means we will never have a 30k attendance, as there will always be a few hundred empty seats even for sold out games (as we've seen this season).

If we get an easy-to-use online ticket exchange sytem sorted out, it could take care of a lot of the no shows. Something like a fee to the club and credit on the ST to use for merchandise / beer and pies / cup tickets etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If we get an easy-to-use online ticket exchange sytem sorted out, it could take care of a lot of the no shows. Something like a fee to the club and credit on the ST to use for merchandise / beer and pies / cup tickets etc.

Still don't know why they haven't done this yet. Surely it can't be that complicated.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Crawley's rise could be a problem,good for Sussex,but bad for Brighton,that said i think Brighton's relationship with Crawley could be like Everton/Liverpool.

Brighton could,i say could(can here the Palace fans now calling me deluded) but could,be a MAJOR PLAYER,in the modern game,in the next 30 years,no debts,well managed,good support,team,management.....what with all the clubs in admin of late (Rangers & Portsmouth) the game will change,some casualties will be inevitable....

We may need to replace Falmer,or rip down the North/South ends just to cope with the influx..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Littlehampton has alot of albion support. I'd say anywhere west of bognor regis becomes more pompey

Agree-but Chichester has & always had many Brighton and it's right on there doorstep,and vice versa example Durrington/ Worthing,however the Brighton support will increase at least for now whilst Pompey's will diminish

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Agree-but Chichester has & always had many Brighton and it's right on there doorstep,and vice versa example Durrington/ Worthing,however the Brighton support will increase at least for now whilst Pompey's will diminish

As David cameron said, Pompey fans are hardly likely to go and support Southampton if the club folds. They can keep John PFC Westwood though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As David cameron said, Pompey fans are hardly likely to go and support Southampton if the club folds. They can keep John PFC Westwood though.

Too right,although(and you have to realise this was only a mere thought,nothing more than maybe 5 seconds) but 1 option i did consider(as for in life you always have a way out,an option,an escape route)but for some brief moment,when i thought(but did not doubt you understand) just weighing things up......anyway,i thought if,if i say,Brighton were no more,who would i follow..............Pompey!! 2nd rivals to us.....am i mad? maybe,also a little crazy..SEAGULLS!!!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
this thread jcl's or genuine I've got my doubts, when push come to shove they'll all f*** off ???

Like they did back then,they will all come back

Attachments

• nsc04 001.jpg
    nsc04 001.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 83

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here