Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: The Shining

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
I was watching this last night.

Can someone tell me the significance that the picture at the end had? I know it was dated in the 1920's but what significance did it have with the rest of the film.

It's probably me being a bit slow.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
robbied69 said:

Can someone tell me the significance that the picture at the end had? I know it was dated in the 1920's but what significance did it have with the rest of the film.

I can't remember that bit, I'll have to watch it tonight now.

Jul 20, 2003
Jack Torrance: You WERE the caretaker here, Mr. Grady.

Delbert Grady: No sir, YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I ought to know: I've always been here.

:eek:

Jul 20, 2003
Delbert Grady: Your son has a very great talent. I don't think you are aware how great it is. That he is attempting to use that very talent against your will.

Jack Torrance: He is a very willful boy.

Delbert Grady: Indeed he is, Mr. Torrance. A very willful boy. A rather naughty boy, if I may be so bold, sir.

Jack Torrance: It's his mother. She, uh, interferes.

Delbert Grady: Perhaps they need a good talking to, if you don't mind my saying so. Perhaps a bit more. My girls, sir, they didn't care for the Overlook at first. One of them actually stole a pack of matches, and tried to burn it down. But I "corrected" them sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I "corrected" her.

Jul 20, 2003
robbied69 said:

Nicholson's in the picture

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It is a superb film, but I never quite got that bit. The scene with the corpse in the bath, or the twins are pure movie genious.

Jul 20, 2003
I think the picture at the end is not supposed to be resolvable it's merely there as an uncanny stimulus.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
John Dorian said:
Thats a bold statement Cheeky Monkey. I like it. :)

Not only bold, but true JD. The last time I was that bored by celluloid I think I was watching the full length version of 'David Belotti The Wilderness Years' on Film Four.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
someone from waccoe actually posted this in response:

This is what Kubrick said of the ending;

"I hope the audience has a good fright, has believed the film while they were watching it and retains some sense of it. The ballroom photograph at the end suggests the reincarnation of Jack"

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Silent Bob said:
The book is far better. :)

And hence so is the TV movie version, surprisingly, since it is much more faithful to the book.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Best, and, IMHO only, genuinely scary horror film ever made.

I think the significance of the picture at the end is that Jack Nicholson is just the latest of murderers who've been drawn to the hotel over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here