Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Scottish pound notes

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If all goes well I am selling my car to someone who is travelling down from Scotland on Saturday. They will be paying with Scottish pound notes, which is all they can get locally.

I have not seen Scottish notes for about 25 years and have no idea what they look like (could be Bank of Toytown money!). They come in £5, 20, 50 and 100 and I can google images.

But what else should I check. Do they have the metal strip, a hologram, a watermark or all of these?

Cheers

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They are still legal tender, but the only things you are actually allowed to buy with them are BUCKFAST, TUNNOCK'S TEACAKES, and TENNANTS SPECIAL BREW.

Hope this helps.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
They are still legal tender, but the only things you are actually allowed to buy with them are BUCKFAST, TUNNOCK'S TEACAKES, and TENNANTS SPECIAL BREW.

Hope this helps.

Not a lot:thumbsup:.

I am not intending to spend. They are going straight in the bank for the next car.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Don't accept them... they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Insist on TRIED and TESTED Bank of ENGLAND notes. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.
Actually there's not legal tender. Not even in Scotland.

From the Bank of England website:-

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

Bank of England | Banknotes | More About Banknotes | Banknote FAQs

This is the one you might have a problem with:-

rbs1.jpg

Who the hell wants a £1 note these days?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Actually there's not legal tender. Not even in Scotland.

From the Bank of England website:-

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

Bank of England | Banknotes | More About Banknotes | Banknote FAQs

I bet you're a hoot at parties! :p

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I can understand your concern though. There are 3 seperate banks that produce bank notes in Scotland - the Royal Bank of Scotland, the Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank.

All Scottish bank notes have watermarks etc as you'd expect, but the Clydesdale bank notes in particular do look like toy money.

There have been many forged 50's and 20's doing the rounds over the past few years. Check the links re identifying and detecting forged notes.

News Item - News - Surrey Police
http://www.check-a-note.com/Check-a-note/news.htm

Current Banknotes - The Committee of Scottish Clearing Bankers (CSCB)

Current Banknotes : Bank of Scotland - The Committee of Scottish Clearing Bankers (CSCB)

Current Banknotes : Clydesdale Bank - The Committee of Scottish Clearing Bankers (CSCB)

Current Banknotes : Royal Bank of Scotland - The Committee of Scottish Clearing Bankers (CSCB)

D

Deleted User X18H

If all goes well I am selling my car to someone who is travelling down from Scotland on Saturday. They will be paying with Scottish pound notes, which is all they can get locally.

I have not seen Scottish notes for about 25 years and have no idea what they look like (could be Bank of Toytown money!). They come in £5, 20, 50 and 100 and I can google images.

But what else should I check. Do they have the metal strip, a hologram, a watermark or all of these?

Cheers

Paying in pound notes? That's a lot pound notes probably at least a thousand.

Bankers draft perhaps? Direct transfer? Very easy nowadays anD if below a grand with clearing banks, within the hour.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Paying in pound notes? That's a lot pound notes probably at least a thousand.

Bankers draft perhaps? Direct transfer? Very easy nowadays and if below a grand with clearing banks, within the hour.

Unfortunately its 9.5 grand, its on a Saturday, and the good people are doing a 12 hour return trip from Scotland so wont be able to hang about while it clears the banks.

A bank transfer in advance is not practical as they have not even seen the car yet.

The cash was my suggestion. I have checked that English banks will take it and am now just getting myself clued up on forgeries etc.

Who was it called me risk averse:blush:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
You are accepting 9,500 in Scottish notes?! :eek:
Where is this hand over happening, and at what time... :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Blimey you are a very brave man, personally I would ask them to bring with them photo ID with an address on and a utility bill to prove they are who they are and live where they say they live.

Also take similar to bank when you pay the cash in as they may want this under their money laundering regulations

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Also take similar to bank when you pay the cash in as they may want this under their money laundering regulations

Point well made,

I think any amount over 5k they have inform "certain authorities" to ensure all above board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here