Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Last year we took up the option to extend is contract, I don't think we can do that again. I think we'd have to offer him guaranteed first team football, which I think is unlikely, but in the Prem that may persuade him to stay. Personally I think it's more likely he'll be off in the summer.

I'm not sure that's the case, we re-optioned Walton every season for about 5 years. That said, I do think he'll go

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm not sure that's the case, we re-optioned Walton every season for about 5 years. That said, I do think he'll go

That's interesting, I didn't realise we could do that. Presumably there must be a limit on how many times you can do that.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wow! He's just played really well in a massive 2.1 win for Genoa against Juventus! A 95th minute winner scored by a club legend who missed a crucial pen last week and just magnificent scenes at the end! Huge result for Genoa!!

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Wow! He's just played really well in a massive 2.1 win for Genoa against Juventus! A 95th minute winner and magnificent scenes! Huge result for Genoa!!
Your post sounds like he scored the pen in the 95th min. I had to double check a few sites and then re read your post. [emoji3]

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Your post sounds like he scored the pen in the 95th min. I had to double check a few sites and then re read your post. [emoji3]

:lol: yes you're right, it does! Sorry, I'll edit that!

Got a bit carried out as it was an amazing ending and a really enjoyable game. Huge win for Genoa and he really played his part too. Seems a strong character as well as a good defender.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
[emoji38] yes you're right, it does! Sorry, I'll edit that!

Got a bit carried out as it was an amazing ending and a really enjoyable game. Huge win for Genoa and he really played his part too. Seems a strong character as well as a good defender.

No need to apologise.

That can only bode well for us in the future. Another £50m coming our way [emoji3]

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wow! He's just played really well in a massive 2.1 win for Genoa against Juventus! A 95th minute winner and magnificent scenes! Huge result for Genoa!!

You can't ignore Osti, can you! Sadly I think he'll go, as I don't think we'll offer to guarantee him game time.

I'm starting to wonder about this buy - develop - loan - sell policy now. It's great to have so many of our young players playing at decent levels of football on loan - but have we got the end-game right? We keep them out on loan until they are near the end of their contract, and then sell them for generous prices to the club where they are on loan - think Longman, Gyokeres, Molumby - and it looks like we could be doing similar this summer (or even letting them go for free as their contracts have run down) - thinking of the likes of Clarke, Osti, Cochrane. OK, we have probably got some loan fees - but a profit, or certainly a good profit? I'm not sure.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No need to apologise.

That can only bode well for us in the future. Another £50m coming our way [emoji3]
Not if his contract ends in June!

(I don't know if it does but when he joined in July 2019 a three year deal would have been very likely)

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You can't ignore Osti, can you! Sadly I think he'll go, as I don't think we'll offer to guarantee him game time.

I'm starting to wonder about this buy - develop - loan - sell policy now. It's great to have so many of our young players playing at decent levels of football on loan - but have we got the end-game right? We keep them out on loan until they are near the end of their contract, and then sell them for generous prices to the club where they are on loan - think Longman, Gyokeres, Molumby - and it looks like we could be doing similar this summer (or even letting them go for free as their contracts have run down) - thinking of the likes of Clarke, Osti, Cochrane. OK, we have probably got some loan fees - but a profit, or certainly a good profit? I'm not sure.

I'd imagine the profits/losses are pretty marginal, but the benefit comes from the odd one who turns out to be a Mac Allister or Caicedo

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was assuming we will give him a new, longer one.

As I said, I don't know if we have - but even if we'd offered him one before he went to Genoa, we couldn't force him to sign it. He may be a bit of a loose cannon with regard to his red card record (he's a collector!) but if he had a couple of years left on hs contract I think he'd be worth a few £M. But has he?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

If Albion thought Longman would make Prem standard, they would have kept him. Gyokeres looks a really solid Championship forward and again, we made a decision that he couldn't get to our level. Molumby looked a great prospect, more so after his Millwall loan, yet even Steve Bruce apparently doesn't want him despite the club paying £900k for him, an amount we sometimes forget should not be sniffed at. As you say, plus decent loan fees.
Potter has said he likes Duffy, but will he stay. Cucurella is attracting serious attention from Spurs, Barcelona and Juve. If we could double our money and he gets offered Champions League football, we could be very exposed at centre back and obviously left back. All of a sudden, Cochrane, Osti and Clarke need to be rigorously put through their paces in the summer to see if they could make the leap to possible Premier League starter.
Your doubts about the policy are valid, certainly if we expect most of them to reach the high bar of our first team, but look how high that bar has risen. We have now seen a number of prospects we all thought would eventually break through, but the reality is that if they fall just a little bit short, the club will be ruthless and move them on having funded them with loan fees and modest 6 figure sale fees, maybe with sell-out fees to come. Worth the risk, develop them so they can make a good living at a decent level and maybe they will come to the Prem by a different route like a Norwich (Matthias Normann) or maybe Molumby with West Brom. We have reached a level in the Prem already where we let good players go to make room for even better ones.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Albion thought Longman would make Prem standard, they would have kept him. Gyokeres looks a really solid Championship forward and again, we made a decision that he couldn't get to our level. Molumby looked a great prospect, more so after his Millwall loan, yet even Steve Bruce apparently doesn't want him despite the club paying £900k for him, an amount we sometimes forget should not be sniffed at. As you say, plus decent loan fees.
Potter has said he likes Duffy, but will he stay. Cucurella is attracting serious attention from Spurs, Barcelona and Juve. If we could double our money and he gets offered Champions League football, we could be very exposed at centre back and obviously left back. All of a sudden, Cochrane, Osti and Clarke need to be rigorously put through their paces in the summer to see if they could make the leap to possible Premier League starter.
Your doubts about the policy are valid, certainly if we expect most of them to reach the high bar of our first team, but look how high that bar has risen. We have now seen a number of prospects we all thought would eventually break through, but the reality is that if they fall just a little bit short, the club will be ruthless and move them on having funded them with loan fees and modest 6 figure sale fees, maybe with sell-out fees to come. Worth the risk, develop them so they can make a good living at a decent level and maybe they will come to the Prem by a different route like a Norwich (Matthias Normann) or maybe Molumby with West Brom. We have reached a level in the Prem already where we let good players go to make room for even better ones.

Good post. I don't think we're a million miles apart - maybe your glass is a bit fuller than mine.

The trouble is, we generally know f-all about loan fees. Take Rushworth at Walsall - he's played pretty much every game for them, and helped them get to where they are in the league - so - are they paying us for his services, or are we payig them (and most, if not all of his wages) to get him experience?

Or Teddy Jenks at Aberdeen (where SPL players dream of a big money move ............. to The Championship, because SPL clubs are truly skint and a move to The Championship is like a lottery win to them!) - he's not played much (although much more than the Aberdeen fans would have liked). So, have they paid us - or have we subbed them?

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

What I would say is that the club now seems very well prepared for losing players. Not only with our youth system, but also the scouting network looks set to replace players through the transfer market if our youth players won't cut it.

For what it's worth I think Ostigard (I believe he has 12 months left), Trossard and Bissouma will all leave this summer - and possibly Maupay. The fact that losing Trossard, Maupay and Bissouma isn't scary shows where the club is.

I think Cucurella will stay unless really silly money is offered.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
:lol: yes you're right, it does! Sorry, I'll edit that!

My hunch is that he'll go in the summer. He's said in the past that he wants to play, and I suspect that was behind him leaving Stoke and going to Genoa. I think he'd be great as a fourth or fifth choice CB in the PL, with the potential to move up that ranking, but suspect that desire to play will mean he moves on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Napoli reportedly negotiating a deal. 3€ plus add/-one
Presume it means we have indicated we will trigger a one year contract extension first.
Makes sense

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here