Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ore

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Where did you find it Mr ace? A line of Brighton built loco's in the mid ground and almost brand new Goldstone Floodlights in the background.
Could be 1963 from the snow on the ground and the tank loco's waiting to go for scrap. :nono:

I was trying to find the answer to Lord B's quiz question and stumbled across it. I'll try and find the website again but I don't think you are far off with the date skip.

Edit: found it.

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/02/15/photo-daily-the-goldstone-grounds-new-floodlights/

Last edited:

I was trying to find the answer to Lord B's quiz question and stumbled across it.
Nobody has yet answered it. I'll have another go.

Where's this?

1800142145_27368d4af0.jpg

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If they ever stuck a high speed rail link from somewhere out that way into London town,

that old chestnut the old hiogh speed link from hastings. f***ing hell if i had a quid for every time i heard that was what was going to cure hastings.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Listening to station announcements got me wondering .. what is Ore? Where even is Ore? Doesn't it sound stupid to say "calling at Eastbourne and Ore?" Is it the most embarrassing and pointless terminus ever? Does anyone even live there? It it worth visiting?

Can anyone enlighten me about Ore?

It kind of makes sense, it's the last station in Hastings.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I always like the sound of St Leonards Warrior Square. Never been there, but conjures up visions of a mighty army, possibly Roman or Viking, taking rest in the town square. Swords and shields EVERYWHERE!

I remember taking my nephew to Battle by train when he was about 7 or 8 and telling to watch out of all the warriors on the platform at St Leonards. It was early morning though, so when we got there it was full of commuters heading for London.

A less "warrior like" bunch would be hard to imagine. He thought it was hilarious.

I believe that Southern/Connex/Railtrack/Network Rail trialled a purpose designed vandal proof shelter there a few years back. It was wrecked within a very short time!

The Marshlink trains go through Ore but I don't think they stop there any more. It is the end of the third rail from London and I believe most trains used to terminate there rather than in Hastings station as there used to be a depot and crew signing on point. I am sure that there are fellow anoraks on this board who can expand. Very evocative pic of the loco's at Hove - is that a "K" class on the far right, if only one could have been saved for the Bluebell Railway.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
What good parts?

I've had some of my best nights out in Hastings Old Town. Awesome place.

First time I went in the Nelly I got pissed out of my tiny little mind. I didn't happen to be in that part of town for another six months, but as soon as I walked in, the landlady said "alright Jason, pint of Kronenberg is it?". That either a damn good memory, or I made a "bit of an impression" the first time.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
At least you can get something decent to eat in Hastings ... which is more than I can say for Eastbourne.

What do you call "something decent"? I worked in Eastbourne for 11 years, there are some very good restaurants there. Pomadoro e mozzarella is a very good Italian pizza restaurant, and (I need to make sure no-one looking over my shoulder here in Cyprus while I type this) there is an awesome Turkish Meze restaurant.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It is the end of the third rail from London and I believe most trains used to terminate there rather than in Hastings station as there used to be a depot and crew signing on point. I am sure that there are fellow anoraks on this board who can expand.

There were sheds there until the 80's I think, there is also some siding which make it easy to change the train around without being on the main line which they would be at Hastings I think.

I'll have to ask my Dad as he was based there when he was a driver

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here