Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opponents blast "completely wrong" decision

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
.....I think that the vast majority of fans will take the public transport route, not because they feel obliged to, or because the feel encouraged to, but purely because it is THE MOST CONVENIENT method, especially for those who live in Brighton.
bang on. at the mo i use the park and ride. when we're at falmer ill use the train :thumbsup:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
On the radio now, asking for funding for "Badger Tunnels" to be made payable by the club. Also, loads of Seaguls are going to settlle in the area.

Can't we just contact some lovable rogue pikeys to come and do some badger baiting for a week or two?

Oh dear did i just really say that? :rolleyes:

So he's clearly paid absolutely no attention to the clubs sustainable transport programme, which includes eco-friendly park and ride public transport systems?

Yes, there may be up to 3,000 parking spaces on the various sites around the ground, but even if you get 4 people in every car, that still barely half fills the ground. I'm absolutely certain that a significant number of people will take advantage of the fact that Falmer train station is snotting distance from the ground.
Chris Todd and I have been debating the rights and wrongs of park and ride schemes ever since the early 1990s.

He's against them because they "encourage motoring" rather than use of public transport. I support them because they reduce congestion in key locations.

There's a sense in which we are BOTH right. In the context of the Albion stadium, Falmer is undoubtedly the site that will lead to the greatest use of public transport. But it would be stupid to imagine that everyone will travel by train - apart from anything else, the railway doesn't have the capacity to carry 22,000 supporters in the hour or so before and after kick-off.

The other big environmental benefit that Falmer has is that it is located in a part of the city where a robust parking strategy really can be enforced. Park within the "exclusion zones" and your car will be towed away. That doesn't apply at Sheepcote Valley, Toads Hole Valley or Withdean.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
He's against them because they "encourage motoring" rather than use of public transport. I support them because they reduce congestion in key locations.

I support park and ride schemes IF they are sited correctly and are appropriately serviced by buses....I do see his point however - its hardly encouraging people to get out of their cars in the dead of winter to stand around in a wet and windy paddock waiting for a very late bus...

Methinks that starting afresh as we are with a new stadium that people should be actively encouraged to start using p&r from the beginning to "get into the habit"...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I support park and ride schemes IF they are sited correctly and are appropriately serviced by buses....I do see his point however - its hardly encouraging people to get out of their cars in the dead of winter to stand around in a wet and windy paddock waiting for a very late bus...

Methinks that starting afresh as we are with a new stadium that people should be actively encouraged to start using p&r from the beginning to "get into the habit"...

To be fair as far as the Withdean experience is concerned I find the P & R very good. I use Mithras House and am usually in my car 20 - 25 minutes after the game.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
To be fair as far as the Withdean experience is concerned I find the P & R very good. I use Mithras House and am usually in my car 20 - 25 minutes after the game.

Sorry I should have said I've never used Withdean as we're train people but have used a couple others in my previous life as a londoner when travelling with friends who supported another *ahem* club and found them lacking!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here