Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opponents blast "completely wrong" decision

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think its because badgers are really really shit at crossing roads.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Why is it only badgers that seem to be catered for in this way?

If we're trying to emphasise our green credentials, surely we also need to build in several rabbit corridors, a pigeon roost, at least eight hedgehog crossings, two wormeries and an escalator for stoats.

And a running circuit for nude Police Officers?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
On the radio now, asking for funding for "Badger Tunnels" to be made payable by the club. Also, loads of Seaguls are going to settlle in the area.

Tell you what.
I'll fund the building of a whole load of badger tunnels, and throw money at the capture and entombing of these wankers in said tunnels. Then I'll seal the bastards in there myself.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've written to them, to explain the error of their ways (info@southdownssociety.org.uk, keep it polite!)

Dear John, Jacquetta and all at the South Downs Society,

I feel I must point out that a great deal of your report regarding the final "yes" decision on the community stadium is based on a complete and utter lie, i.e. that the site is virgin downland. If you were to visit the site I'm sure you would realise that it is mostly poor quality monoculture farmland of little or no ecological value. "virgin downland" as you call it, would of course be the birch and oak woodlands that have been largely destroyed since the iron age. The remaining woodlands of this type are mostly on the sharp, north facing scarp slopes such as those adjacent to the village of Ditchling, where farming has never been considered a viable option. The other key, valuable ecosystem is that of the chalk grasslands where sheep have been grazing for thousands of years. Again, none of this ecosystem is to be found at the Falmer site, it is seen mainly on the summits of the downland hills. Any associated tree planting (which is part of the plans) will vastly improve the biodiversity of the site.

I have long enjoyed spending my free time on the open hills, away from the hustle and bustle of town. The Falmer site:

- Lacks public footpath access
- Has no wide-ranging views
- Has no valuable ecosystems
- Is surrounded by a motorway, two smaller roads, a railway and a university.

Also given that the site has long-since been earmarked for development, surely such a use that will benefit the whole community is preferable to a shopping centre?! I hope you will realise how fantastic this stadium will be for the community, work with the club, and then I'm sure many supporters would be supportive of your cause, to protect the truly beautiful parts of the South Downs that areto be included within the national park boundary.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've written to them, to explain the error of their ways (info@southdownssociety.org.uk, keep it polite!)

Dear John, Jacquetta and all at the South Downs Society,

I feel I must point out that a great deal of your report regarding the final "yes" decision on the community stadium is based on a complete and utter lie, i.e. that the site is virgin downland. If you were to visit the site I'm sure you would realise that it is mostly poor quality monoculture farmland of little or no ecological value. "virgin downland" as you call it, would of course be the birch and oak woodlands that have been largely destroyed since the iron age. The remaining woodlands of this type are mostly on the sharp, north facing scarp slopes such as those adjacent to the village of Ditchling, where farming has never been considered a viable option. The other key, valuable ecosystem is that of the chalk grasslands where sheep have been grazing for thousands of years. Again, none of this ecosystem is to be found at the Falmer site, it is seen mainly on the summits of the downland hills. Any associated tree planting (which is part of the plans) will vastly improve the biodiversity of the site.

I have long enjoyed spending my free time on the open hills, away from the hustle and bustle of town. The Falmer site:

- Lacks public footpath access
- Has no wide-ranging views
- Has no valuable ecosystems
- Is surrounded by a motorway, two smaller roads, a railway and a university.

Also given that the site has long-since been earmarked for development, surely such a use that will benefit the whole community is preferable to a shopping centre?! I hope you will realise how fantastic this stadium will be for the community, work with the club, and then I'm sure many supporters would be supportive of your cause, to protect the truly beautiful parts of the South Downs that areto be included within the national park boundary.

Goodness me. You sound like you really know what you're talking about. Top work!

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
The calcareous grassland of the South Downs is a really important habitat and well worthy of protection; as Notters points out, however, there's bugger all of it on the site or even adjacent to the site, which is otherwise of no conservation value whatsoever. And I should know, I'm a tree-hugger. So there.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Goodness me. You sound like you really know what you're talking about. Top work!

I'd like to think so, being a geographist! The thing is, these nimby's haven't got a clue... and it really gets my goat! Anyway, this is why we will win.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd like to think so, being a geographist! The thing is, these nimby's haven't got a clue... and it really gets my goat! Anyway, this is why we will win.

I would like to hereby concur with Mr Notters, and also like to think I am qualified to comment, as a bona-fide ecologist. My degree is actually in 'Countryside Management'. These fuckwits haven't a clue, seriously.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Why is it only badgers that seem to be catered for in this way?

If we're trying to emphasise our green credentials, surely we also need to build in several rabbit corridors, a pigeon roost, at least eight hedgehog crossings, two wormeries and an escalator for stoats.

Yay:lol: Stoat escalators :lol::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Escalators for stoats were tried at the Brittania Stadium (hence the name Stoat City) and were proven to be dangerous and otter ways of solving the problem had to be investigated. Perhaps they should ask Ferret?

TNBA

TTF

Some interesting comments from Chris Todd, Campaigns Officer of the South Downs Campaign:-

"What about all the hype about the stadium being the greenest in the land
we've had to endure this week? People should read the Secretary of State's
comments about there being excessive car parking and the impact that it will
have on the South Downs.

"I personally accept the decision even if I feel it is the wrong one but what
I don't want is a lot of spin covering up what the impact will really be
like. If the club truly want to build the greenest stadium in the land then
I would support them in that aspiration but actions speak louder than words.
The first thing they need to do is reappraise their travel plans and not
rely on shipping so many people in by car. Then I might start to believe
them - not whether some back up generator is powered by biofuel which has
dubious environmental credentials to start with".

Chris Todd

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
I would like to hereby concur with Mr Notters, and also like to think I am qualified to comment, as a bona-fide ecologist. My degree is actually in 'Countryside Management'. These fuckwits haven't a clue, seriously.

Well hello there, fellow Countryside Manager! Didn't know there were so many of us bat-loving, badger-directing, tree-hugging conservationists queuing up to desecrate this green and pleasant land with our concrete carbunkles. Wonder if anyone else on here has similar eco-credentials and yet still supports the stadium? I dunno, it makes you think: it's almost as if Falmer Parish Council, Lewes District Council and (especially) the CPRE and the f***ing Downsmen have been talking out of their arses in a cynical attempt to f*** over the Albion in the interests of their own sordid little affairs, eh? At least the SDJC have had the decency to wave the white flag, given that they of all people should know there's no ecological connection at all between that field in arable production and the Downs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I used to play football at Preston Park with Chris Todd - not a bad player.

I'm not surprised he has tempered his words there - he is a MASSIVE football fan, but also an environmentalist. I can see where he has his split loyalties here.

If he appreciates that the majority of people will come in by public transport, I don't see how he can really moan about it. It seems to be apocryphal, or maybe even anecdotal, but I don't know anyone who is going to drive and park at Falmer. Obviously there will be plenty, but I think that the vast majority of fans will take the public transport route, not because they feel obliged to, or because the feel encouraged to, but purely because it is THE MOST CONVENIENT method, especially for those who live in Brighton.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
"I personally accept the decision even if I feel it is the wrong one but what
I don't want is a lot of spin covering up what the impact will really be
like. If the club truly want to build the greenest stadium in the land then
I would support them in that aspiration but actions speak louder than words.
The first thing they need to do is reappraise their travel plans and not
rely on shipping so many people in by car.

So he's clearly paid absolutely no attention to the clubs sustainable transport programme, which includes eco-friendly park and ride public transport systems?

Yes, there may be up to 3,000 parking spaces on the various sites around the ground, but even if you get 4 people in every car, that still barely half fills the ground. I'm absolutely certain that a significant number of people will take advantage of the fact that Falmer train station is snotting distance from the ground.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ah but we are providing a relatively large amount of car parking spaces. Will there be plenty of people wanting to take public transport? There are quite a few cars that 'visit' Withdean or the surrounding areas on a Saturday. Multiply the attendance by 2.5 or more and you are looking at a large amount of cars.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here