Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opinion of England on NSC

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's pretty shameful reading some of the comments on here regarding our national team. It was difficult for them to command any respect following SA but it's time to give some credit to a squad with some promising young kids that has battled back with a decent qualifying campaign.

Considering the representation of our club at England games across the globe i'm always puzzled by the attitude to our national side on here. A lot comes down to jealousy, and its pretty pathetic.

Time to get behind your country.

Its not an NSC thing, its a national thing. Just look at the Sports Personality Of The Year shortlist. Or even the longlist. There's never a footballer on there. Nobody likes or respects these people. Not that they care.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People may shoot me down, but I really think we lack a quality conventional English type centre forward...... Yes Rooney is a great player, but he often playes deeper in a semi midfield role and for me he doesn't look the same in an England shirt as the United shirt.

When I was growing up it was Lineker, then Shearer both of whom were immense, we had owen for a while.... and I thought Dean Ashton would be next, but he retired through injury.

Since Owen faded, I don't think we have had a really good out and out Centre forward, guaranteed to start like the others before.

Jesus. It's 2011. Your belief is part of the problem.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am not great England fan, but i think Capello has done what he can with the players he has and there are occasions when some quality football is put together. I don't know what people are asking of them really. Hopefully it's not to charge around the pitch with the bulldog spirit or make out we're egotistically more than we are as that's had us come a cropper in the past and would again as the composed tend to now come out on top. The best we can do is keep playing a 4-2-3-1 in general, the players getting used to it together and it suiting Rooney "in the hole", and see what happens.
We all know Spain are miles ahead of us, with Germany and Holland behind them. Then come a section of questionables including us, Italy, Portugal and France. We'd maybe lose to any of those, but we could also on our day win. The tournament is likely beyond our capability, but don't expect it to be rightfully ours. The answer is not to read the Sun or download any semi-comedic anthems. Just enjoy it for what it is and relish the fact we're in there at all to battle sometimes half-heartedly.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's pretty shameful reading some of the comments on here regarding our national team. It was difficult for them to command any respect following SA but it's time to give some credit to a squad with some promising young kids that has battled back with a decent qualifying campaign.

Considering the representation of our club at England games across the globe i'm always puzzled by the attitude to our national side on here. A lot comes down to jealousy, and its pretty pathetic.

Time to get behind your country.

Go on, what was the bet to make this up. I won't tell anyone, honest guv.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Its not an NSC thing, its a national thing. Just look at the Sports Personality Of The Year shortlist. Or even the longlist. There's never a footballer on there. Nobody likes or respects these people. Not that they care.

Giggs 33/1...nice touch

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
kevtherev;4437749Sven started the rot by playing 22 players in a friendly and making an England cap worthless[/QUOTE said:
England caps were handed out like candy before Sven, like when Carlton Palmer played for us (and that was before club sides had the power they have now). There's a lot of shit talked in the press about needing an English manager - Jamie Redknapp thinks the next manager should be English, but he would say that wouldn't he. Jamie Carragher thinks everyone should be English from the physio to the bus driver, but that's more his take on the ideology of it all, our best against there best. That would be fine if that was the rule, but it's not, so there's no point going in with a disadvantage. We want to succeed in the big tournaments, and if we have a capable English manager, great, but if not, get the best we can.
and now that total wanker Capello is calling the shots, I really feel detached from my own country. We can fail just as well with an English manager as we can with a foreign one, but at least it might mean something to an Englishman.
So you think qualifying for Euro 2012 (not yet sure how we'll do) and WC 2010 is as good as failing to qualify for Euro 2008? I'd rather have Desmond Tutu in charge than Steve McClaren.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Every time I have to endure watching England of late I start to wish i was German. Even a poor German side got to the final of the 2002 World Cup. Our lot are bloody hopeless.

Oct 25, 2003
until there's a complete overhaul of the entire football set up in this country (from top to bottom) things will never change. A passionate team may do alright in a tournament but will eventually get unstuck against a team with superior levels of technical ability (the pool of teams that this applies to is ever growing)

i actually think that our BEST 11 players are pretty good. However all it takes is for 1 player to be injured or 1 player to be out of form and it all falls to shit because we have little to no squad depth, the players that then come in are totally inadequate for international football and we get caned (matthew upson anyone?) and when a player is off form we have no-one to replace him with

oh- and we need better coaches the amount of qualified coaches in this country is an absolute disgrace

oh- and i think more english players and managers should play abroad

Oct 25, 2003
At least give it a go against some of the lesser teams in the group or in friendlies. Don't republic of ireland have a few champ players, they seem to do ok.

ireland hardly ever qualify for anything

we struggle enough with premiership players, a team of championship players would get killed

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I agree completely with the point about English players playing abroad and how it would further their football education and development as players. Seems most England players are more interested in their Premiership wages and staying within their comfort zones.

Oct 25, 2003
I agree completely with the point about English players playing abroad and how it would further their football education and development as players. Seems most England players are more interested in their Premiership wages and staying within their comfort zones.

100% agree

i read something with jurgen klinsmann where he said he basically used football as a means to live in difference countries, learn different cultures etc.

it also helps with your football as you learn different styles of play and have different methods of coaching and stuff

look at joe cole- he could've stayed in england and play for someone like qpr, instead he's playing in the champions league because he dared to get out of comfort zone, in my view he'll definitely improve as a player because of it

Oct 25, 2003
for example, of the current spain squad:

reina, pique, arbeloa, alonso, mata, silva and torres (plus players like fabregas) either do play abroad or have done

of the current england squad:

carson plays abroad, no-one else has

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another player, bar the odd game, who never looks half the player in an England shirt as he does in the Liverpool shirt
It would be good to see a fully fit Gerrard in the team without him having to change his normal role to accomodate Lampard - they both play more or less the same role; there's no room for two such players in the team, and it's always been Gerrard that's being ordered to abandon his natural game so that Lampard can play his preferred role.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It would be good to see a fully fit Gerrard in the team without him having to change his normal role to accomodate Lampard - they both play more or less the same role; there's no room for two such players in the team, and it's always been Gerrard that's being ordered to abandon his natural game so that Lampard can play his preferred role.

I'd be surprised if he plays for England again, I think he's finished.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I support England but it is only really out of loyalty now and I seriously can't see us winning a tournament for the foreseeable future. We have a group of (mainly Man U) players coming through but while be very promising I can't see them winning trophies.

The cricketers in this country got to number one with central contracts. The footballers are owned by their clubs and rugby is going that way.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Judge England in the finals. Qualification is all about qualifying, nothing else. They've done that comfortably and I think they might surprise a few next summer.

Semis at euro and quarters at world cup is our natural level. Any better is over achieving, worse than that under achieving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here