Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only in this country - the trains

Jay316

Aug 22, 2011
The announcement said "limited capacity" after 10:30, so basically, they couldn't guarantee you get home.

Really poor for a game they knew could go to extra time. This is NOT whinging - I had a seven year old daughter with me, I couldn't take the chance of not getting on one of the trains. I hate leaving early, but had to.

Judging at the train times posted.. from 22.05 to 23.47 you have enough trains/carriages to carry 6500 passengers from my calculations...

Jay316

Aug 22, 2011
Trains were fine after the match, fuss over nothing I think.

Some people were giving stewarding staff attitude this didn't help.. They are station crew, they don't run the trains or work for the railways. They have to make sure that they allow the numbers that the trains can hold as per requirements of the railway. :)

I personally get the 25 Bus.. takes a little longer but runs every 10 mins :)

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
It all comes down to money!

Who will pay for the drivers/guards/signalmen to wait just incase the game goes to extra time - or even penalties?

Like it or not, when the railways were privatised, they ceased being a public service and became a profit based
company that cares more about shareholders than people who might be trying to get home after a football match.

D

Deleted User X18H

Can you imagine if we got to a League Cup Or Playoff Semi Final 2nd leg that kicked off at 8pm or due an incident before the game later still 8.15 maybe and went to full extra time and sudden death penalties? Oh my days.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Didn't leave early, got the train, was home within an hour of the final whistle.

No problem whatsoever.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The club and southern know that it COULD of gone to ET and show have organised something before, ridiculous really.

I take it you hav'nt got any knowledge of train planning as you cant just arrange a train service around a football match that could have 3 different finishing times.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It all comes down to money!

Who will pay for the drivers/guards/signalmen to wait just incase the game goes to extra time - or even penalties?

Like it or not, when the railways were privatised, they ceased being a public service and became a profit based
company that cares more about shareholders than people who might be trying to get home after a football match.

So if the railways were still nationalised it would be fine for the taxpayer to pay for extra trains and crews to sit around waiting just in case they might be required at the end of a football match?

Surely those who intend travelling by train know the three possible times the match could finish and the scheduled train times and make their plans accordingly. Even if it were logistically possible, why should extra trains, that might not even be needed, be laid on free-of-charge?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
So if the railways were still nationalised it would be fine for the taxpayer to pay for extra trains and crews to sit around waiting just in case they might be required at the end of a football match?

Surely those who intend travelling by train know the three possible times the match could finish and the scheduled train times and make their plans accordingly. Even if it were logistically possible, why should extra trains, that might not even be needed, be laid on free-of-charge?

Exactly. I didn't go last night, partly because I thought extra time was probable and getting back home to London was going to be an issue. I could've stayed in Brighton and travelled back this morning but didn't want the additional expense or hassle.

Would a 7.30pm kick-off time help at all? This is something the club has more control over than the train timetable.

Some people were giving stewarding staff attitude this didn't help.. They are station crew, they don't run the trains or work for the railways. They have to make sure that they allow the numbers that the trains can hold as per requirements of the railway. :)

Yes. But ...

This was the front carriage of the 22:40 Falmer to Lewes, Polegate and Eastbourne train, as it left Falmer:-

p236400794-4.jpg

There is no reason why passengers should have been marshalled in a way that left at least 80 empty spaces (including standing room) in one carriage of a train that was running at a time when queuing passengers were being told to wait for the next one. And it was perfectly safe to walk along the platform to where the front of the train would be. It was just that people weren't being told to do this.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A sporting event with 17000 and the train companies dont plan for the need for extra trains, so people have to leave early. Not good enough, no excuses, just get it sorted out.

Sorry but that isn't true, the special Lewes only train was held back and arrived at Falmer to get the first load off which enabled the next lot to get the purposly delayed Eastbourne train with the Seaford due 10 minutes after that

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It does appear, reading through the threads, that other than Bennetts Field, the transport from the stadium worked surprisingly well given it was extra time? Perhaps for normal league games the club should consider opening the concourse bars, even for 30mins after FT so that those who want to grab one more beer for a chat can, therefore staggering the rush for the queue.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It does appear, reading through the threads, that other than Bennetts Field, the transport from the stadium worked surprisingly well given it was extra time? Perhaps for normal league games the club should consider opening the concourse bars, even for 30mins after FT so that those who want to grab one more beer for a chat can, therefore staggering the rush for the queue.
Exactly,.... the B.F. fiasco should be sorted once there is some thought applied as to the best solution. When this is implemented there will hopefully be less bleating. Trains have been fine for me.

We do however, need to see how the personal security issues are managed when Palace come down next month, or when Leeds, Cardiff, West Ham and Millwall make an appearance.... but... I am sure that again will have teething problems that will be resolved in time for next season.... trial an error as with anything in life.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive just discovered that fans traveling back to Uckfield or Crowborough have to leave for the 22:00 train, change at East Croydon taking over two hours! they should really be considering reopening the Lewes-Uckfield line to accommodate.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
The more I think about this, the more it seems that perhaps the club shouldn't have made the announcement about the trains. It might have worked out for some people, but I left 5 minutes early, something I absolutely hate doing since missing the last goal back in the Goldstone years.

Either the trains need to be sorted out, or the club shouldn't have worried people about getting home - and I was only going back to central Brighton.

If I'd been on my own I'd've risked it, but waiting around with an overtired 7 year old didn't seem 1) fair on her, or 2) much fun.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Were the club erring on the side of caution or did people struggle to get home after 10.30?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think the club were quite irresponsible about this, people aren't stupid, in the days of smartphones I am sure they can check. Some of our group left as they had to be up at 5am, and couldn't risk trying to get a 'limited train service' but turns out, those of us that stayed got back at the same time as the Gillingham game anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here