Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only in this country - the trains

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Who cares who's ground it is? The train company have thousands of customers that want to use their train. Only company in the world at the moment who doesnt seem to want the custom. Shuttle trains , get it sorted, no excuses.

Come on Albion

As you have to warrant cost into the factor, why should they put on extra trains just for Brighton games, no other ground does that. And the fact they do actually put extra trains on during normal game time, were are they supposed to store these extra trains, to come pick Brighton fans up.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
A sporting event with 17000 and the train companies dont plan for the need for extra trains, so people have to leave early. Not good enough, no excuses, just get it sorted out.

To defend our country, its not just us. I went to a Barcelona game (their version of the charity shield) and the game was on a sunday night in the Nou camp and finished just before midnight and the underground system stopped running at 12.30 so we had to walk about 2-3 miles back to our hotel at 1am.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not just Southern. I remember leaving Filbert Street about 20 minutes from the end on an afternoon game as the last train I could catch to get back to Bradford left at 4.45. Mind you, we were losing 4-0 at the time.

I also remember leaving Layer Road a few minutes early to catch the last available train.

It's something we just have to get used to in this country - I don't see how it takes the gloss off a superb win.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
You get some quirks in the timetable I suppose when the system has to give you 10mins for a change when in reality you probably can get a service at East Croydon to Victoria. To be honest, I was shocked there are so many services on so late tonight. Looks a good effort to me.

Yeah, all seems possible to get back to london fairly easily.
What does suprise me, is that you can travel from Falmer/Lewes etc to Brighton right up until 23.44, yet cannot get to London Victoria after 22.30. Seems weird, given the respective demand you'd expect would be there for each service. I know it's not that easy, but surely more trains to london to extend the service, instead of trains every ten minutes from Falmer until nearly midnight would be better organisation.

Still, everyone can easily get home, so no problems.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
And who owns the rail network? I don't think Tony Bloom can do anything about the train times that the TOC dictates.

No but ya cant just say its Southern rail that is at fault the club should talk to them about it, i mean were in the 3rd round so another night game, the club sit down and have a back up plan, but i dont see how it can work really, we played an extra time tonight, there is not many places to keep this trains waiting for them to come to brighton to pick fans up, you cant expect southern to run extra services from a normal full time to the possibility to be running them till well after pens, its just not cost effective and we will moan when ticket prices go up AGAIN.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
No but ya cant just say its Southern rail that is at fault the club should talk to them about it, i mean were in the 3rd round so another night game, the club sit down and have a back up plan, but i dont see how it can work really, we played an extra time tonight, there is not many places to keep this trains waiting for them to come to brighton to pick fans up, you cant expect southern to run extra services from a normal full time to the possibility to be running them till well after pens, its just not cost effective and we will moan when ticket prices go up AGAIN.
The club probably did talk to them, and Southern probably gave a pick FU to the club.

Oct 25, 2003
the biggest train CALAMITY i've encountered is hartlepool where the last train leaves a significant amount of time before the end of an evening game

did people really expect them to put on extra trains incase there was extra time? if the game ended in 90mins it would've been a complete waste of money

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
The announcement said "limited capacity" after 10:30, so basically, they couldn't guarantee you get home.

Really poor for a game they knew could go to extra time. This is NOT whinging - I had a seven year old daughter with me, I couldn't take the chance of not getting on one of the trains. I hate leaving early, but had to.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
The announcement said "limited capacity" after 10:30, so basically, they couldn't guarantee you get home.

Really poor for a game they knew could go to extra time. This is NOT whinging - I had a seven year old daughter with me, I couldn't take the chance of not getting on one of the trains. I hate leaving early, but had to.

Yes but as people have stated above what to do you expect them to do.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Realise the extra time and add the capacity to the later trains, as they would on the continent. I've been to plenty of European games, and the travel arrangements they have are far better than over here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its sooo simple. we just pay for some extra trains, and drivers. and signalmen from eastbourne to worthing, brighton to london. and station masters. for say 2 hours extra so people can have a pint after the game.

actually, why do we even have to stop the trains running at all, should be 24hr.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Could be worse - I'm guessing the Sunderland players missed the 23:30 from Gatwick (according to 5Live). Can't believe they didn't plan for extra time.....anyway in the interests of binfest..........should have got Easy Jet to lay some more planes on. Shocking transport planning at Gatwick...

Jay316

Aug 22, 2011
But tonight's services are okay locally, I think the announcement was for services further afield perhaps??

So trains tonight for those interested, departing Falmer for Brighton:
22.27 / 22.38 / 22.47 / 23.02 / 23.16 / 23.27 / 23.39 / 23.44

Falmer for Lewes:
22.28 / 22.34 / 22.44 / 22.53 / 23.16 / 23.34 / 23.44

You have to Brighton (arrival at Falmer) - standard is 115 per coach

21.21 (3 coach)
21.36 (4 coach)
21.44 (8 coach)
21.55 (3 coach)
22.05 (6 coach)
22.16 (8 coach)
22.25 (3 coach)
22.36 (8 coach)

I am unsure where people expect the extra trains to come from, and time tables are normally dealt with by National Rail, as they own the lines... Remember this line is old and struggles on a non-match day..

A sporting event with 17000 and the train companies dont plan for the need for extra trains, so people have to leave early. Not good enough, no excuses, just get it sorted out.

So you left before final whistle, then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here